Tour Event Contest: 2020 The Memorial Tournament Sponsored by Golf Pride

For the record, its not silly that this penalty was enforced, it’s silly that you can enforce a penalty for this. In other words:

LMAO Golf Central showing video of the grounds crew ripping up the greens and Chamblee goes "these are the only people who tore up the course today." Alright Brandel, let's see how you would've done out there.

Same as any other sport with instant replay.

I would assume there was a camera somewhere on that hole that could actually confirm if Rahm was looking at the ball or looking at the hole when this occurred.

we are just lucky in this case that it didn't cost him the tournament like the crap Lexi Thompson dealt with a couple of years ago.

Chamblee is doubling down a bit on this call. He indicated that it might not be called a penalty on Woods or Mickelson. While I agree the Tour might not have penalized them, that is also a problem.

Chamblee did have a good point about the high-definition rule and that NONE OF US would have seen the ball move had the camera not zoomed way in.

I'll be interested to see if the rule doesn't get discussed and possibly cleaned up a bit in the coming weeks because this situation will impact someone again...soon...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For the record, its not silly that this penalty was enforced, it’s silly that you can enforce a penalty for this. Or this:

Yeah because Barstool and Spiranac are poster children for how golf should be governed.

Chamblee is doubling down a bit on this call. He indicated that it might not be called a penalty on Woods or Mickelson. While I agree the Tour might not have penalized them, that is also a problem.

Chamblee did have a good point about the high-definition rule and that NONE OF US would have seen the ball move had the camera not zoomed way in.

I'll be interested to see if the rule doesn't get discussed and possibly cleaned up a bit in the coming weeks because this situation will impact someone again...soon...

So the question becomes did they call it bc they knew it wouldn’t impact the outcome, or would they call it if it was a closer finish?

I would assume there was a camera somewhere on that hole that could actually confirm if Rahm was looking at the ball or looking at the hole when this occurred.

we are just lucky in this case that it didn't cost him the tournament like the crap Lexi Thompson dealt with a couple of years ago.

Rahm himself said it should be a penalty.

So the question becomes did they call it bc they knew it wouldn’t impact the outcome, or would they call it if it was a closer finish?
I think its the 1st option you mentioned.

Yeah because Barstool and Spiranac are poster children for how golf should be governed.

If Barstool is the bar we are setting (no pun intended) on how golf should be played, I will quit the sport.

If Barstool is the bar we are setting (no pun intended) on how golf should be played, I will quit the sport.

You and me both!

Barstool has never come up in a golf discussion for me 🤷‍♂️

exacrly. They can have their “Bro Golf” with lax rules, nothing wrong with that. I play music and am as laid back as they come on the golf course, but tournament play is different. You have rules to protect the game and the field, otherwise it’s 120 PatrickReed’s out there teeing up.

LMAO Golf Central showing video of the grounds crew ripping up the greens and Chamblee goes "these are the only people who tore up the course today." Alright Brandel, let's see how you would've done out there.

Like the old saying goes, Those who can, do; Those who can't, Teach. Those who can't teach, commentate....

exacrly. They can have their “Bro Golf” with lax rules, nothing wrong with that. I play music and am as slid back as they come on the golf course, but tournament play is different. You have rules to protect the game and the field, otherwise it’s 120 PatrickReed’s out there teeing up.

Completely agree. Some of the rounds my friends and I play when we don't care about the score, we are certainly not following the rules. When we play a round and there's money down, we bring the book haha.

Its so hard. The rules dont know intent.

The ball moved both in slow mo and in real time and it was pretty easy to see. Did it help him? Maybe, maybe not, but if the only excuse is that he wasn’t looking at the ball, that is hard to base a rule book on.

i’m just repeating what you’ve said, but removing intent makes the rule so much easier to enforce. @wadesworld ha some pretty epic posts about the simplicity of the rules of golf and how the wording allows for more consistent application than other arguably more rational wording. this was a penalty. i’m very glad it didn’t affect the outcome, but that doesn’t change that this was a cut and dry penalty.

I think it was yesterday TF was in the rough around a green and with the cam zoomed in, the same thing happened as his ball moved ever so slightly. I was surprised no one phoned it in?.

I think Chamblee was right....and yes Tiger would get extra preferential treatment!!! He says it like it is....not always what everyone wants to hear....but at least you know where you stand with the guy...

Rahm himself said it should be a penalty.
That's fine. I'm sure he just chose to accept it and move on because it didn't cost him anything. No point in arguing semantics or the general principle of it if your paycheck is the same either way.

I am not sure how that should be handled ....BUT ....most definitely it IS a penalty.....do should be called....even after the fact. Rahm played brilliantly and deserved win....everyone else choked and threw up on themselves....it was tough out there.....but penalty or rule break should be enforced
I think it was yesterday TF was in the rough around a green and with the cam zoomed in, the same thing happened as his ball moved ever so slightly. I was surprised no one phoned it in?.

I thought we addressed the intent thing to death already a couple of years ago and it got fixed. I guess it only applies to putting? 🤷‍♂️

That's fine. I'm sure he just chose to accept it and move on because it didn't cost him anything. No point in arguing semantics or the general principle of it if your paycheck is the same either way.

I’m super confused.
The ball moves in real time, not slow mo.
Jon Rahm sees it after the fact and agrees.
Rules official and Jon Rahm both know the rules and agree its a penalty.

What are the semantics. Its not a hi def super slow mo camera and call in necessary to see the penalty. Whether it helped him or not doesnt matter.

Whether its a stupid rule can be debated, but as the rules are written, its clear as day.

I'm sure we would've gotten a different reaction from Jon if this cost him the win.

How crazy is it that Xander finished in 13th after that start. I bet @KY Golfer is happy.

Back