Tour Event Contest: 2020 The Memorial Tournament Sponsored by Golf Pride

I think it was yesterday TF was in the rough around a green and with the cam zoomed in, the same thing happened as his ball moved ever so slightly. I was surprised no one phoned it in?.
Finau's ball yesterday moved a lot more than Rahm's did today.

I’m super confused.
The ball moves in real time, not slow mo.
Jon Rahm sees it after the fact and agrees.
Rules official and Jon Rahm both know the rules and agree its a penalty.

What are the semantics. Its not a hi def super slow mo camera and call in necessary to see the penalty. Whether it helped him or not doesnt matter.

Whether its a stupid rule can be debated, but as the rules are written, its clear as day.
And I'm confused because of the putting debacle a few years ago and the DJ and Lexi Thompson issues that "intent" came into play on the rules.

Does the ball accidentally moving and not being a penalty only count on the green when they simplified the rules?

I honestly thought it should have fallen under the "can only be seen through a zoom lens" exception. I'm not sure that movement would have been visible to Rahm.

I think it was yesterday TF was in the rough around a green and with the cam zoomed in, the same thing happened as his ball moved ever so slightly. I was surprised no one phoned it in?.

Last I heard, they don't take phone-in's anymore.

If Barstool is the bar we are setting (no pun intended) on how golf should be played, I will quit the sport.

Can we get an "Epic" reaction emote?

Kudos to CBS for sticking with the golf til the end, too.

How crazy is it that Xander finished in 13th after that start. I bet @KY Golfer is happy.
NEVER again!!!! What's sad is he ended up tied for my highest finisher :oops:

Last edited:
So if it had moved kind of like that, but settled back in its original position, it would not have been a penalty would it?

Hahaha this is epic...

Watched quite a few of the holes coming down the stretch this evening.

The course looked flat out unhealthy.
The play was abysmal.
The lead was nuts.

Sorry to those who enjoy that kind of thing, but I'm not looking to watch a guys shoot over par and win. That's a big snooze for me.

Did anyone notice that on the chip shot on 16 the close up....and on his chip on 18 which was also in the rough and was delicate....no close up....If you drill in with that camera with slo mo close ups......movement the eye doesn't catch is caught....So my guess is they didn't do the close up intentionally on 18....

Did anyone notice that on the chip shot on 16 the close up....and on his chip on 18 which was also in the rough and was delicate....no close up....If you drill in with that camera with slo mo close ups......movement the eye doesn't catch is caught....So my guess is they didn't do the close up intentionally on 18....

I would be very interested in seeing this. I would bet that these type of penalties happen much more often than we see, simply because there wasn't a camera watching. If there wasn't a close up camera shot on 16, would we even know this happened? I think not.

I would be very interested in seeing this. I would bet that these type of penalties happen much more often than we see, simply because there wasn't a camera watching. If there wasn't a close up camera shot on 16, would we even know this happened? I think not.

That doesn’t make it right. I don’t think there was intent and I don’t believe that he improved his lie but it was careless. He should know better than to press down like that in the rough. In regular speed you could see that the ball had moved.

Watching Rahm hit his shot on 18 he ground the club pretty aggressively there also. You couldn’t see any of the ball until he ground the club before the shot then you could see a bit of white.

The penalty didn’t impact the outcome which made it an easy decision to assess the penalty. I do think Rahm should be a bit more careful grounding his club in the rough.

That doesn’t make it right. I don’t think there was intent and I don’t believe that he improved his lie but it was careless. He should know better than to press down like that in the rough. In regular speed you could see that the ball had moved.

Watching Rahm hit his shot on 18 he ground the club pretty aggressively there also. You couldn’t see any of the ball until he ground the club before the shot then you could see a bit of white.

The penalty didn’t impact the outcome which made it an easy decision to assess the penalty. I do think Rahm should be a bit more careful grounding his club in the rough.

I agree that it doesn't make it right. The ball moved, thus the rule was broken. Rahm was penalized rightfully so. I was just saying, it's interesting to think about how often this happens and the camera, or even the golfer, doesn't see the ball moved a 1/16th of an inch.

If that's the case then why wasn't TF penalized? Do some get a free pass? Dunno, but in that type of rough I'm sure it happens quite a bit and I've yet to hear any players calling it on themselves.

If that's the case then why wasn't TF penalized? Do some get a free pass? Dunno, but in that type of rough I'm sure it happens quite a bit and I've yet to hear any players calling it on themselves.
It might be a case of players becoming accustomed to taking liberties using their club to slightly improve their lie. Up to now they certainly were not being scrutinized on it. I know I don't mash down with the back of my club when addressing my ball in the rough. I'll try it this week and see if I can see movement in my ball. I'm betting it is easy to see the dimples or logo rotate.

Watched quite a few of the holes coming down the stretch this evening.

The course looked flat out unhealthy.
The play was abysmal.
The lead was nuts.

Sorry to those who enjoy that kind of thing, but I'm not looking to watch a guys shoot over par and win. That's a big snooze for me.
Agreed, can't understand how people really enjoy watching the best in the world suffer.
I always enjoy watching Erik Anders Lang's efforts to break 90 on YouTube. Just goes to show how tough these courses are layed out for PGA Tour week.
Anyway pleased for Rahm, I like him and glad to see him getting the win. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully he can bring that major home.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It might be a case of players becoming accustomed to taking liberties using their club to slightly improve their lie. Up to now they certainly were not being scrutinized on it. I know I don't mash down with the back of my club when addressing my ball in the rough. I'll try it this week and see if I can see movement in my ball. I'm betting it is easy to see the dimples or logo rotate.
the most vivid example I remember is Bubba Watson at this very tournament in 2014 - on 18 he touched his ball, however the ball is allowed to "oscillate" in position; no penalty. the tiger woods rule

Pardon my ignorance, but when did tamping down the grass behind the ball stop becoming a penalty. To me, he was definitely improving his lie with his supposed waggle tamping down the grass behind the ball. And, it was a repeated action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right, it's not about the tiny amount of ball movement that changes nothing about the shot, it's about the tamping down of the grass to improve the lie that causes the ball to move a little, and these guys take huge liberties on that front.

I've also noticed I see a lot of tamping down on the put lines with putters, is that not improving on the line?

Probably belongs in a new thread, but hearing that Tiger is having back problems and may not play again until the PGA Championship....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but when did tamping down the grass behind the ball stop becoming a penalty. To me, he was definitely improving his lie with his supposed waggle tamping down the grass behind the ball. And, it was a repeated action.
That was what I figured they were going to ding him for when they were deciding whether or not to assess a penalty. The ball movement was inconsequential, but repeatedly tamping down the grass surely improved his lie.

I've also noticed I see a lot of tamping down on the put lines with putters, is that not improving on the line?
In last year's revision of the RoG, they loosened up greatly on what you're allowed to repair on the green (rule 13.c.(2)).

Back