Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

I like wearing the Polos and nice Golf shorts. No problem with the hat being forward.

But let me untuck my shirt. That’s it.

part of me says yes and part of me says no. the yes part doesn't want people playing in a bulls jersey and cutoff sweatpants. and no in me doesn't want a ranger coming up to him on the course and asking me to tuck my shIrt in and yes this did happen at a private course we played at.

Last edited:
Let the course decide and the people can vote with their money. That said some folks can look just fine in a simple par of shorts and a decent athletic shirt and others can look like a dump in slacks and a polo shirt

I couldn't care less.

Golf needs to do more to be inclusive, and if a relaxed attire rule does that, I am all for it.

I am not sure why people get bothered by what others wear? If you want to dress in a polo and golf shorts/slacks, do it! But why does it matter if someone chooses to wear athletic shorts and a t-shirt?

Why stop at golf?
And what are the limits? Do they even have to wear a shirt at all?

I think its a more fascinating topic when you dive in because it appears everybody has a limit.

Why stop at golf?
And what are the limits? Do they even have to wear a shirt at all?

I think its a more fascinating topic when you dive in because it appears everybody has a limit.

I totally agree it is an interesting topic.

As for the shirt thing, I guess maybe I would see it as “no shirt no shoes no service” similar to what you see at restaurants and such.

I just find it hard to believe that people can be so bothered by what others wear, but to each their own

I really don't care what you wear to play golf. If it's appropriate to wear out in public, I don't see a problem with it.

Who cares?

Absolutely, I like keeping a dress code of some sort during Golf.

I wouldn't wear jammies out, so no jammies on the golf course.

I bet these pants would breathe nice during the summer....;)

I wear the same thing to play regardless of where I play, which is a polo and short/pants (depending on the weather). It does not bother me if I am playing at a course with no dress code and someone is wearing a tshirt and jeans.

there are 2 types of golf courses.
there are 2 types of dress codes.
you can play either golf course and wear either dress code.

we have 1 country club with dress code (A) and we have a couple muni's with dress code (B).
if the muni's decide to go to dress code (A) they'd shut down in a week.

do i support dress code (A) or (B)? i could care less im out there playing my game, just dont act like a jacka$$ wearing either (A) or (B).
and ive seen a ton of jacka$$es wearing dress code (A) in my time.

now which one is worse? jackwagon (A) or jackwagon (B)?

Do away with it, it's silly, wear whatever you like, I've never once looked at a players attire and cared.

That being said I don't know why anyone would want to wear jeans or other non-athletic fabric, sweaty and uncomfortable.

Please see below. I think an interesting question to bring up here is, is this acceptable? Should they be held to different standards because of their status? I think we can all agree this is not appropriate golf attire. I understand they are on vacation and might've even rented the course out for 4 hours, but I'm very interested to see what others think.

img_2745.jpg

img_2771.jpg

dancing_0.jpg

img_2781-2.jpg

img_2769.jpg

Yeah, good luck telling me to tuck in my shirt!!!!

Each course can make and enforce their own rules. I am tired of obese, sloppy golfers, on golf courses and airplanes. Americans used to dress with pride, now they dress with disdain.

Please see below. I think an interesting question to bring up here is, is this acceptable? Should they be held to different standards because of their status? I think we can all agree this is not appropriate golf attire. I understand they are on vacation and might've even rented the course out for 4 hours, but I'm very interested to see what others think.

img_2745.jpg

img_2771.jpg

dancing_0.jpg

img_2781-2.jpg

img_2769.jpg
They look great, at least they're in shape. But this is inappropriate for most golf courses. For a nine hole pitch/putt, fine.

I remember being a member of a private club back home with a bone headed dress code. If you wore shorts, your socks had to be white. That includes ankle socks. The only way they could be any other colour is if they came up to your knees and were made from industrial grade wool. No trainers were allowed in the clubhouse which meant in the summer, it was full of old blokes, in shorts, wearing thick woolen socks up to their knees with leather loafers on. Absolutely ****ing ridiculous!!!!!!!

To each their own on the course. I know that I’ll be showing up sharply dressed!

I feel secure in believing this is a dilemma I’ll never have to face :)

I dress nicely when I golf... because I’m not a slob and I like looking nice. I don’t think how someone dresses necessarily is a reflection of respect though - it may simply be a matter of finances.

I wonder sometimes if those who worry about what others wear and view it as reflecting anything beyond that individual were raised as golfers in a more formal setting. I wasn’t and started golfing in my 20’s with no personal or family golf ‘traditions’. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Bottom line - I’m a Libertarian at heart and I thing the world would be a lot better place if we all worried more about ourselves :)

$6.90 for this shirt so I don’t think you price argument is going to work

Attachments

• 0D310F7E-862A-4F48-8938-B3A2A914B290.png
    0D310F7E-862A-4F48-8938-B3A2A914B290.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 18
I just find it hard to believe that people can be so bothered by what others wear, but to each their own
its not a matter of being bothered by it in itself.
Its a matter of the laxed behavior etiquette that has a greater chance of appearing along with that laxed dress code.
No one can ever guarantee what folks will behave like but you can implant things like reasonable dress code which in turn raises the odds that better behavior etiquette will then follow. There is a relation between attire and etiquette. As dress goes from very lax to very formal so does our awareness of etiquette. So the course stands a greater chance of better etiquette being displayed by its customers when they insist on a dress code.

And im sorry but there are many folks who say that public courses shouldn't have a dress code and i say why not? And yes they should.
This goes back to what I mention earlier. Not everyone has to fit into everything the way they themselves see fit to do so. Not all barriers have to come down. The more and more that happens and the more dress codes become lax , the more I beleive we see less and less good etiquette displayed. I feel that has happened in society and Im all for trying to keep whatever we have left. A simple request on the golf courses imo is not that difficult to comply with, and nothing at all wrong with having it in place even on a public course.

its not a matter of being bothered by it in itself.
Its a matter of the laxed behavior etiquette that has a greater chance of appearing along with that laxed dress code.
No one can ever guarantee what folks will behave like but you can implant things like reasonable dress code which in turn raises the odds that better behavior etiquette will then follow. There is a relation between attire and etiquette. As dress goes from very lax to very formal so does our awareness of etiquette. So the course stands a greater chance of better etiquette being displayed by its customers when they insist on a dress code.

And im sorry but there are many folks who say that public courses shouldn't have a dress code and i say why not? And eyes they should.
This goes back to what I mention earlier. Not everyone has to fit into everything the way they themselves see fit to do so. Not all barriers have to come down. The more and more that happens and the more dress codes become lax , the more I beleive we see less and less good etiquette displayed. I feel that has happened in society and Im all for trying to keep whatever we have left. A simple request on the golf courses imo is not that difficult to comply with, and nothing at all wrong with having it in place even on a public course.

How can you correlate what someone wears and their etiquette on the course? That is a MASSIVE stretch. I have seen plenty of people dressed in Polos and Khakis driving the carts too close to the green, not fixing ball marks, etc.

Dress Code in NO way correlates to behavior on the course. That is just silly

higher the standard the higher the price and nicer the course is. its like going to dinner you like a fancy dinner you dress nice you dont go in cut off jeans and a cut tee shirt. you dress for the occasion.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I was offended but this really bothered me.
View attachment 8954571
Why? It's atrocious and ridiculous looking, but who cares? He's the one that looks like a rodeo clown, unless you call him or for it then you both look like 🤡

As for the OP Question:
Golf is stuffy and elitist enough, it's expensive, and difficult. There's enough to worry about in your own cart. Focus on you and don't worry about someone else's fashion issues.

Back