Review FootJoy Flex Coastal Golf Shoes

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Flex line of shoes is not new to FootJoy, but recently introduced Flex Coastal offer a bit of a different take. The company describes the performance on course with off the course versatility of a sneaker.

These have a unique look for a FootJoy shoe, with a sole that screams traction despite being spineless. The Versa-Trax outsole is designed specifically for the golf swing and stability where you need it without making it uncomfortable to wear outside the course. EVA midsole is in place for some serious cushioning, and the Flex Coastal definitely gives you the lighter weight feel with some balance to boot.

FJ3-1024x692.jpg

The first thing you notice when picking up the shoe is the performance mesh...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review. I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of the FJ Flex (the last model) but just didn't trust that sole for traction in wet grass. Anyone have any experience that can alleviate my concerns over this?

Cheers all

I don't trust any spikeless shoe for help in wet conditions but that's not why I'd buy one. The shoe looks awesome. I love it for late day rounds or range time or the cold one after golf.The sizing being off is a head scratcher since its the same sole unit as some of their other FLEX models. Like what FJ is doing. They are taking their brand younger and taking a few chances that hopefully will work out for them.

Original Flex are really comfortable. Almost like they should be regular sneakers. I play better in spikes though, but these would be great for the range.

spot on review @JB ... very comfy...i got the 11W but they were too big (and wide)...i don't think the mesh is good for support/stability over uneven ground, tho. wound up exchanging mine for some Pro SLs (paid the difference in cost).

I really like these, they look great! As far as spikeless go, I have the TrueLinks TL-01 and they are super comfy and do very well in wet and dry grass. I like the look of these FootJoy's though and I wouldn't mind giving them a try as I have heard great things about FootJoy.

I really like the look of these. Really really.

These look amazing, definitely top of the wishlist.

Original Flex are really comfortable. Almost like they should be regular sneakers. I play better in spikes though, but these would be great for the range.

The original flex are the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn.

The original flex are the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn.

These are pretty darn comfy too. As long as you have a chance to test out and get proper sizing.

These are pretty darn comfy too. As long as you have a chance to test out and get proper sizing.

I read that and FJ continues to confuse me with sizes. Goes back to whatever the tree frog shoe was where he sizing magically shifted.

Not sure I can go without a spineless shoe...I have happy feet.

I read that and FJ continues to confuse me with sizes. Goes back to whatever the tree frog shoe was where he sizing magically shifted.

I like a few of their models and have seen a few coming that I really like, but will have to wait to try on rather than order up front because these were quite a bit off.

I have a pair of the Flex XP that I really like. I am in Arizona and don't really worry about wet conditions, but have never had an issue with traction and the sole looks nearly identical. I like the looks of these Coastal and may grab a pair sometime down the road. I completely agree on FJ sizing; I wear 11.5 wide in the Flex XP but do not wear the same in other FJ's I have tried on.

Well, I was pretty much locked in to getting the Puma Ignite NXT's until I saw these. I think these are a better look at a similar price tag.. Definitely worth trying on to check if the comfort is superior.. 🤔

That is a pretty wild sizing issue.

I'm not a fan of knit but I may check out the blue ones in store as an everyday shoe.

Waterproof?

I would love to own a pair of FJs but these just miss the mark for me style-wise. I feel like the strap around back is what makes it look so strange.

The Flex line of shoes is not new to FootJoy, but recently introduced Flex Coastal offer a bit of a different take. The company describes the performance on course with off the course versatility of a sneaker.

These have a unique look for a FootJoy shoe, with a sole that screams traction despite being spineless. The Versa-Trax outsole is designed specifically for the golf swing and stability where you need it without making it uncomfortable to wear outside the course. EVA midsole is in place for some serious cushioning, and the Flex Coastal definitely gives you the lighter weight feel with some balance to boot.

Continue reading...

The blue is gross, but like the others

Having recently gone to the range in my NB runners, and then my FJ Contours thereafter, there is something to be said for the stability a dedicated golf shoe can bring. These look much less supportive than even my running shoes. I used to buy leather Contour Casuals that were comfortable and lasted a long time for the same $99. Not impressed, FJ. Or anyone else offering mostly mesh golf shoes.

As a FJ guy, these shoes really intrigue me. But as a person who plays golf golfer who plays 90% of early morning rounds I can't afford to use non-spiked/non-waterproof shoes.

Now for my annual to FL where neither of these items are an issue, I can see a shoe like this checking off the boxes. Although I have been using the sandals the last couple of years and they are very liberating for my feet. Go ahead, laugh if you like but when it's 90 plus degrees the airflow on and around my feet while driving or walking to my ball is perfection.

Having recently gone to the range in my NB runners, and then my FJ Contours thereafter, there is something to be said for the stability a dedicated golf shoe can bring. These look much less supportive than even my running shoes. I used to buy leather Contour Casuals that were comfortable and lasted a long time for the same $99. Not impressed, FJ. Or anyone else offering mostly mesh golf shoes.

have a similar thought after trying a mesh FJ vs traditional model

Back