On July 26 in Baseball History...

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
... in 1956, Roberto Clemente hit a bottom-of-the-ninth, walk-off, inside-the-park grand slam for a 9-8 Pirates win against the Chicago Cubs It is the only such walk-off in MLB history. Think about it. Inside the parkers are rare enough, but to be a walk-off you have to be EXACTLY three runs behind and have the opportunity. And deliver.

I'm missing something here. What's a "walk off" inside the park homerun?

Well you know it had to be against the cubs!🤪

A quick copy/paste. I have no idea why it's called a "walk off....."

"A walk-off home run is a home run which ends the game. It must be a home run that gives the home team the lead in the bottom of the final inning of the game - either the ninth inning, any extra inning, or any other regularly-scheduled final inning."

A walk-off is the play that scores the winning run to end the game. So it has to be in the botom half of the final inning. I have seen a walk-off balk, for example.

In baseball, the game is considered over in the bottom of the ninth when the winning run crosses the plate - unless it’s an over-the-fence home run. So let’s say the score was 8-6 when Clemente came up. He would have been given credit for a walk-off triple, scoring three runs for a 9-8 win. Had he hit it over the fence, it would have been a walk-off grand slan for a 10-8 final. For it to count as a walk-off grand slam, the Prates had to be down exactly three runs for an inside the park job to count for four runs.

Having grown up playing the game, its the most exciting feat I think you could pull off, save for last out, game 7 of a World Series.
Can only imagine the excitment rounding those bases. The cardboard cutouts would catch fire! :love:

A quick copy/paste. I have no idea why it's called a "walk off....."

"A walk-off home run is a home run which ends the game. It must be a home run that gives the home team the lead in the bottom of the final inning of the game - either the ninth inning, any extra inning, or any other regularly-scheduled final inning."

I've always considered a "walk off" homerun to be one that is "gone" from the moment it leaves the bat. You know, no doubt about it. The guy doesn't even consider running to 1st and likely walks half way there before starting to trot. I dunno.

I guess I'm not completely stupid for my definition.

Walk-Off Home Run
A term in sports lingo that has gotten completely out of control. Originally coined by Dennis Eckersley in 1993 to describe a home run of such power that you don't even turn around to look ... you just walk off the mound.

The corny fools at ESPN - and their brain dead followers - now use the term to decribe virtually any play that ends the game; walk-off hit, balk, double, single, etc.

"Game-ending" and "Game-winning" have surrendered.

I've always considered a "walk off" homerun to be one that is "gone" from the moment it leaves the bat. You know, no doubt about it. The guy doesn't even consider running to 1st and likely walks half way there before starting to trot. I dunno.
For a long time I thought it was a HR that was hit after the previous batter was intentionally walked.

He was an amazing player. Certainlty one of the top ten I have seen in my lifetime.

Back