I'm lost...reoccurring shanks

Are you fatigued? I see X100's in the signature. Late season fatigue is real. Have any backups with a little softer shaft to swing a little slower?
Lotta compensations can happen with a shaft that is too stiff. Even if it is just temporary.
Swing slower? :unsure: :ROFLMAO: No other shafts, I have debated on switching to graphite just not sure I want to pull the trigger mid season.

Shanks, Shanks, Shanks, Shanks...it's not the mention of the word that's a problem 😂 Hahahaaha. Let's see your little Toe Shank...can you post a video? Then we can give you some real feedback as opposed to guessing 😉 🙏
I thought you were TrueKreskinMatt!!! LOL!

Ugh I hate hearing things like this as I am a re-occuring s**** guy. I'd take hitting the toe instead of el hosel any day. After working hard to get rid of the issue it still manages to creep in somehow every couple rounds. The last 3 times...on par 3 tee boxes. :mad: I have no words for how sh***y it is.

As everyone’s swing is different, the cause and solution would likewise be the case. Last winter, early spring I was hitting everything off the toe. Wedge to driver. It was driving me crazy. Went and saw my pro. The cause, in my case, was getting way inside on my backswing and then redirecting on the way down. The fix was surprisingly simple for me.

Keep my hands and club head in front of me through first half of backswing, then slot the club at the top. Pardon me for lack of technical terms here. He showed me where and what it should feel like at the top of the swing. Shoulders, arms, hands particularly. Get in that slot and then just go, swing away.

Amazing how flush I hit you shots now. Have your pro take a look. It could be something very simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still not getting as short as I need to but definitely making better contact.
As everyone’s swing is different, the cause and solution would likewise be the case. Last winter, early spring I was hitting everything off the toe. Wedge to driver. It was driving me crazy. Went and saw my pro. The cause, in my case, was getting way inside on my backswing and then redirecting on the way down. The fix was surprisingly simple for me.

Keep my hands and club head in front of me through first half of backswing, then slot the club at the top. Pardon me for lack of technical terms here. He showed me where and what it should feel like at the top of the swing. Shoulders, arms, hands particularly. Get in that slot and then just go, swing away.

Amazing how flush I hit you shots now. Have your pro take a look. It could be something very simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah a local guy here helped me get the right mindset to fix it. Although I do contend through a tip from @JDax gave me a drill to help start practicing what the instructor eventually said. Basically I was folding up like a cheap lawn chair in my backswing. My takeaway was preventing me from getting back to the ball and make flush content. I've got to work on limiting my backswing. I'm losing confidence and consistency by trying to get more on it.

I'm guessing it's the toe. All I know is when I make contact the club turns 90* toward my trailing foot, and the ball never gets off the ground and hard pushes right.

Toe-ee and thin.

Glad you may have fixed it.

So many causes - would need video.

When I do the toe, it can be:

1. need to stand slightly closer to ball
2. I take the club too far inside on the backswing
3. I am coming from the inside too much on the downswing
4. Part of thin - my upper body comes out of the swing too soon - could be caused by goat-humping - your butt doesn't stay back - early extension.
5. Starting the swing too fast from top - I need to feel like the clubhead stays at the top while my lower body starts the downswing - you are doing it right if you feel the body is pulling the club - helps with speed, too.

Some of the above can be caused by too much tension - try more relaxed arms. I find a relaxed waggle where the club goes to parallel and then you go back to address and start the swing rhythmically (but at your tempo) helps - but be aware you don't start the backswing too fast (if that is not your tempo)

It seems like about every year when I finally start making good contact and scoring well I soon start struggling. During this time, I have this hitch in my swing where when I swing with my irons/wedges, I hit the toe of the club and physically spin the iron in my hands. I'm currently going through this. How do I get out of it? I'm so frustrated...😔

A pro that I used to work for always put a club box outside of the ball to help people get the swing path coming from the inside and not over the top. He said that was one of the biggest reasons of the S-Words.

IMO pony up and get an hour private lesson with a good local pro. I had been going on with heel/hosel shots for almost a year, tried to see if various YouTube videos/online tips would fix it. Never did, if anything I think it made what was going on worse. Went for an hour private lesson after I was just fed up with terrible golf, the Pro got me back on the right track and now it's on me to practice/practice/practice and un-do the damage that was done. Everyone's swing is different and recording your swing/sending it to someone just doesn't give them the full picture IMO. An in person lesson honestly is worth the money when stuff like this occurs.

In the left is where in trying to stay, in the right is where I had gotten to.

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_104701.jpg
    IMG_20200726_104701.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 15
I sometimes go through that as well. I find that if I'm hitting the toe, I am standing up just a tiny amount at impact. I have to focus on staying down at impact and rotating through instead of extending at impact.

Early extension, as you describe it, is the curse to many a swing. It is so easy to do and difficult to realize that we are doing it. Especially as we get older (talking about me, not you, LOL), our bodies are stiffer and we tend to fall prey to this swing fault even easier.

Still not where I want it, but definitely closer with no loss of distance.

As you know, you are swaaaaying way too far off the ball. Drop the club and feel like you're shooting a bow & arrow at the ball while having a feeling like your left hip is going towards the target (around your body and back behind you). Do that until you can do it without a club, then add the club back and try to do the same thing.

Great tempo there Carl. And for the life of me I dont remember you being lefty?!?

As others have said, controlling your ball leads to lowering your scores. Fortunately for you, you have the ability to naturally create great club head speed. Like you said, you need to get it out of your head of distance rather to have the ability to learn to hit golf shots.

Imho , when I had the raging s.....ks I thought it was coming off the bottom edge of my irons and I didn't know for sure and it kept nagging away in my brain . So I bought some cheap impact tape from Amazon and actually found out that impact was closer to the hosel . Then I tried to fix it by using external focus techniques like swinging the clubhead over an intermediate target or 'picturing/feeling' clubface/ball impact and my intended ball trajectory to a target.

A s....k is pretty close to being a good strike so I wouldn't be too depressed even though its destructive and sometimes a repetitive outcome that makes you fearful of the next swing and brings one out into a cold sweat. The problem then becomes a subconscious issue where all you can think about is 'not doing the shank ' and because your subconscious has no idea of 'right or wrong' , you have just made a mental 'picture ' of the shank by thinking about not doing it . Therefore the subconscious will react to that last picture (as if it was an intended outcome) and you've got another s....k.

It's similar to saying yourself 'don't go into that pond' and hey presto you do it because that was the last mental picture you had (ie. your ball going into the pond) and your subconscious reacts to that intent.

So first find out where on the clubface the ball is being impacted (just to calm your mind down with the uncertainty of what is actually happening) , start swinging freely to a target using perpetual swings to the target picking out an 'intermediate' target where the clubface is moving over (ie. the blur of its movement) , then its down to your ball position to meet your swing intent (not your swing to cater for some prejudged ball position).

Didn't 'Wild Bill Melhorn' say "accuracy is just naturalness and judgement" .

Great tempo there Carl. And for the life of me I dont remember you being lefty?!?

As others have said, controlling your ball leads to lowering your scores. Fortunately for you, you have the ability to naturally create great club head speed. Like you said, you need to get it out of your head of distance rather to have the ability to learn to hit golf shots.
Ha, not a lefty camera was flipped because I was filming it from the cart. Tempo is definitely my Achilles heel. When it's right, as it is in the video my game is good. When it's off, fast or slow 💩💩💩

Its ironic that this thread keeps popping up today. I went to the range this afternoon and after hitting about 25 balls pretty well I proceeded to hit about 20 off the hosel. 🤬 Not in a row mind you, I'd hit one, then the next ball was totally fine, then another and another. So freaking aggravating. Been going on for 2 years now on and off and I'm tired of it.

It seems like about every year when I finally start making good contact and scoring well I soon start struggling. During this time, I have this hitch in my swing where when I swing with my irons/wedges, I hit the toe of the club and physically spin the iron in my hands. I'm currently going through this. How do I get out of it? I'm so frustrated...😔
Been going thru this exact thing for a few days. I made all kinds of great progress and worked my tail of this spring and summer and it all came unraveled last Thursday and continued Saturday in a nine-hole solo round (I played Saturday just to see if I could put Thursday out of mind...). I played pretty late Saturday, and upon finishing the ninth, continued to drive around and play the course (twilight, all you can golf). It was dead outside of one group that stayed clear of. I was just driving around playing quickly and hitting random shots. Maybe a tee shot on 1, then go pick it up and move on to the second hole. Second hole I teed off, then hit an approach. Moved on. And so on...eventually, things started to iron out a bit.

Went Sunday to the range with a very short session in mind. I hit my 54 degree to warm up...a few shots, all great. Moved to gap wedge, and PW and continued to hit mostly well. Had a 7 wood with me...teed it up low and hit a handful of nice ones. Okay. Moved back down to 7 iron...super mixed results...duds included. So the rest of the session, took really short swings...just punching the 7 iron, focused on the contact. Super short backswing to follow thru. Focusing on square contact. Hit shot after shot straight...continued lengthening the backswing every so often as long as good shots were hit. Did that for like 15 shots or so and left knowing that I had made 15 straight shots of square contact, sending the ball straight out. None were full swings...but the point was finding that contact.

Next time I go hit, will work on that first...and lengthen to fuller swings. Hoping for the best.

Probably just one of those things...where I'm overthinking, etc. I know I'm better than I'm showing right now....and I'll get it back...but it can sure send a guy into a mental tailspin.

Ha, not a lefty camera was flipped because I was filming it from the cart. Tempo is definitely my Achilles heel. When it's right, as it is in the video my game is good. When it's off, fast or slow 💩💩💩

I was gonna say, I KNEW you werent lefty.

Like I said, you have natural ability to create club head speed. I know when someone says "slow down" you cringe lol But its control man. And once you have that control you dont need to feel like you need to swing out of your shoes and you can hit controlled golf shots

Can definitely be caused by a number of things, such as over the top, or early extension. Best things I have found to cure them are 1) put a box or something just to the outside of the ball, and make sure you don't hit the box (that should help the over the top). 2) Make sure you are ripping the handle left on the downswing (in case it is a hand path issue), or 3) feel like you are almost moving away from the ball to the left on your downswing (think keep your left hip away from the ball), this should help early extension.

Against my better judgement, (since I don't know why you're shanking), I'll share this scrappy little video I made for one of my Players...I apologize for the poor video setting in my garage.

I was gonna say, I KNEW you werent lefty.

Like I said, you have natural ability to create club head speed. I know when someone says "slow down" you cringe lol But its control man. And once you have that control you dont need to feel like you need to swing out of your shoes and you can hit controlled golf shots
I appreciate it, I am working on the control thing. That's one thing I like about what the guy that gave me the lesson was advocating. He told me to go after it but there's no reason to wrap around my head and try to swing hard. He wants it to be short and to the ball hard but in control. I hit a few shots trying to guide them and he said. No, go after it like you can, if you fall out of balance, you need to back off to 75-80% of that.

Back