Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Being reunited with the Nippon Regio Formula MB yesterday felt so good. There's something about that construction that just sits so crazy well for my swing.

It's definitely a different experience from the LINQ (which I believe was a bit of a proto) in both weight and flight, but they are both plenty penetrating with the Speedzone even at a +1 setting on the 9 degree head.

My buddy has been gaming the F9 with a HZRDUS Yellow and lost his mind with the LINQ in there, so I think moving forward I'm going to give the Regio a few rounds to really connect with my swing, and then see if it beats out the Rogue which is currently in the lead.

I love swapping shafts to see how heads react. It's so much freaking fun.

Being reunited with the Nippon Regio Formula MB yesterday felt so good. There's something about that construction that just sits so crazy well for my swing.

It's definitely a different experience from the LINQ (which I believe was a bit of a proto) in both weight and flight, but they are both plenty penetrating with the Speedzone even at a +1 setting on the 9 degree head.

My buddy has been gaming the F9 with a HZRDUS Yellow and lost his mind with the LINQ in there, so I think moving forward I'm going to give the Regio a few rounds to really connect with my swing, and then see if it beats out the Rogue which is currently in the lead.

That LinQ looks soo good. What kind of difference do you see with the Regio?

Since I got the Ventus shaft to help with launch, I decided to move the 14g weight back to the front. I hit the Speedzone really well today. It was soggy out and my distances where 265-285yds which is about my norm on dry days, it felt solid all day. Now I may throw the 18g weight in there and see what happens. This Ventus/Speedzone combo is 🔥

Last edited:
6 out 7 fairways in a 9 hole round last night with the Xtreme. I hit high cuts with the Xtreme that start left and fade back into the middle.

Rogue shaft in speed zone I remember reading about it but can’t find it now opinions on it thanks

I have been struggling with my driver swing on the course, but hitting it well on the range. I don’t get it, but whatever. I just wanted to post that the Linq Gunmetal is the real deal. My buddy @MagicSpell let me use his shaft in my driver last Sunday and it felt really good (we both are at tour length). I don’t think that I can splurge on it right now, but is definitely on the wish list.

I have been playing at 8 degrees and draw and hit some good shots with his gunmetal in that setting. I moved to 9 degrees and draw with my shaft and seemed to be able to hit it a little straighter at the range today. Hard to tell on distance because I was into the wind with range balls, but I will try it at that setting on my next round.

before my struggles, the SZ driver was the best club in my bag. As I have gotten better with the irons, my driver game has gone the other way. That’s golf, I guess.

2nd round with my Pars & Stripes SZ 9*. Played Encino GC in Los Angeles, off the Blues, shot a 75

Last week, I truly sucked with the driver but that was because of my 1 plane swing not settling down. I made this swing change about 5 weeks ago and barely had anytime to let it "gel" other than only 1 range and 1 round of golf a week. Everything felt different.

Just before the round, I set the shaft setting to a "standard -1", left the 14 gms of weight at the rear. Swing wise, I tweaked my 1 plane driver swing to limit my backswing, just short of what I felt was "3/4".

1st drive, over draw the ball, hit a tree and got a members bounce to the left side of the fairway. After that, somehow the swing clicked - the Pars & Stripes just SHINED.

Hit all 14 fairways. The drives were all draws, some were just plain SMOKED. More than a few times my foursome went "wow, did I just land the ball all the way out there?!?!?" Gob smacked, stunned faces and a nice grin on my face.

I just felt good to be back in control of the drives again.

I play the Srixon XV ball and those drives made the ball feel like it was a Srixon Soft. It felt "mushy" off the face - thats the compression! It was an odd feeling considering my gamer is the Epic Flash Sub Zero (with the exact same Ventus Velocore 6S shaft) all the drives, good & bad felt hard and hot which I attribute to the Jailbreak.

This Pars & Stripes is meant to be my backup driver as the intention was to go back to the EF SZ but it may just stay in the bag for a little while.

One of my buds who didn't play last week finally saw the driver and he LOVED IT. The gloss metallic white finish with the blue finished CNC milled face looked sooooo good. in the sunshine. Certainly the driver stood out from the black Ping G400 Max head he had and my other buddy's Ping G driver. Definitely some oggling of my driver.

Before the round, I was seriously thinking of going back to the Ping G410 LST with the ATMOS shaft but after today, "Don't think so Tim" :love:

My build is coming tomorrow and I can't wait. Currently in a Ping G410LST shafted with the Evenflow Black 75X. It's been an awesome combo and will be really hard to beat. My Dad just replaced his 410LST with an F9 he found and he loves it. So, I'm a ho and now I need one. Really spent a lot of time flipping back and forth between which head to get.

Ultimately, I think the SZ really overlaps the G410 LST performance wise, so I decided to go with the Xtreme 9 head. I know it's higher spinning, but with my game right now, I need all the forgiveness I can find. My hope is this build will stay sub 2600. If it's spinnier than that I'll likely move on as I'm not willing to leave a lot of yards on the table.

My build is a 9* white head, shaft aligned at 8*. Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5 tipped 3/4", built to 45" playing length. Head has the 6 G weight and SW was 2.8. Added lead tape up front to bring SW up to D4.8. It's arriving tomorrow and can't wait to get them head to head. Future plan is to possibly put in a 2G weight which will free up 8 grams of hot melt to put in the head.

My brother wanted to borrow my EXS220 for our round Sunday so I bagged the SZ Xtreme with Graphite Design YS-5 Nano shaft.
It was hot out and very firm. 63% fairways hit (18% misses on both sides) with really only 1 penal drive where I had to punch out.

Had some impressive distances according to Shot Scope:

Avg Distance
1595947336561.png
P Avg Distance
1595947376151.png
Longest Drive
1595947395426.png

Anyone running with after market weights on the SZ head? If so, any feedback on performance?

Much much better night with the Xtreme last night. Played the worst 18 holes of golf I have played in several years, but seemed to click with the driver over the back 9. I'd been fighting a big slice, so was consciously backing off it a little trying to control things, and it was just getting worse and worse. On the back 9 I just loosened my grip, extended the backswing and really went after it. A couple of my longest drives so far with the best a dead straight bullet of 290 yards exactly. Think I was maybe just giving it too much respect and it needs to be treated mean :LOL:

Sound off the face was just explosive, and it felt right in my hands. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful relationship!

Shame about the rest of my game, but that will come....I promise that will come!

It’s been 495 days 7 hours and 16 min since the previous MC where you dropped a ton of Regio knowledge on me.

I understand that driver heads change, but how great it was for you in the F9, I cannot see a different shaft outperforming it in a Cobra driver head for you

It’s been 495 days 7 hours and 16 min since the previous MC where you dropped a ton of Regio knowledge on me.

I understand that driver heads change, but how great it was for you in the F9, I cannot see a different shaft outperforming it in a Cobra driver head for you
if I could either square up the face a touch better, or improve my path a bit, this combination would be flat out deadly.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if paired with the right shaft for my swing, the SpeedZone is the longest driver out on the course of any of the releases I have tried this year.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if paired with the right shaft for my swing, the SpeedZone is the longest driver out on the course of any of the releases I have tried this year.
What shaft are you gaming still the ventus with pars and stripes?

What shaft are you gaming still the ventus with pars and stripes?

Yes, the Ventus Blue that came with the Pars and Stripes. It is set up completely stock, Blue 6S, 9 degrees standard setting, heavy weight in front.

Is the consensus that the standard Speedzone is a little fade-y, as with the standard Sim?
I'm looking between the SZ and Mavrik, which I understand has a very slight draw bias.

Is the consensus that the standard Speedzone is a little fade-y, as with the standard Sim?
I'm looking between the SZ and Mavrik, which I understand has a very slight draw bias.
standard sz and SIM are definitely fade biased....as far as I know and have seen, id say Mavrik is very very neutral. Possibly seems draw biased bc I believe it is more upright

standard sz and SIM are definitely fade biased....as far as I know and have seen, id say Mavrik is very very neutral. Possibly seems draw biased bc I believe it is more upright

I found the Sim impossible to control even in the upright or "draw" setting. So was a bit concerned when the Speedzone reviews were saying fade bias as well
The Mavrik, well....its just one of the ugliest clubs I've ever seen. Lol

I found the Sim impossible to control even in the upright or "draw" setting. So was a bit concerned when the Speedzone reviews were saying fade bias as well
The Mavrik, well....its just one of the ugliest clubs I've ever seen. Lol
Im a diehard TM fan. Get the new model every year.... could not hit the SIM for the life of me!!! It went everywhere but straight lol. Even the SIM Max was a struggle for me. I also typically play TM drivers in the upright / lie setting

The Xtreme has been the easiest to hit driver ive ever played. Standard SZ was good also but not as consistent as the Xtreme

Im a diehard TM fan. Get the new model every year.... could not hit the SIM for the life of me!!! It went everywhere but straight lol. Even the SIM Max was a struggle for me. I also typically play TM drivers in the upright / lie setting

The Xtreme has been the easiest to hit driver ive ever played. Standard SZ was good also but not as consistent as the Xtreme
The Xtreme is way more consistent for me as well. I played around with the standard with the Ventus Black and had some success, but there is something about the standard head where I can rarely have back to back outings and get similar performance. That head is too unpredictable for my swing.

I couldn't keep the SIM in the air. I tried it late last year for sh!ts and giggles and hit more knuckle balls with that thing. And I din't like the sound on it. :dohanim:

Back