2k thread views and 150 comments in 24 hours shows me they are doing something right because it got people talking about them.

Here is an interesting thought exercise:

Let’s say instead of a tie or golf shirt for Christmas, the wife and kids get you a fresh new set of Kirkland Signature wedges. Are you happy?

I'll have to say no. Not because of the thoughtfulness of my family taking enough interest in me to know my hobby or passion, that's admirable. I'd be disappointed that they were most likely right handed clubs.

2k thread views and 150 comments in 24 hours shows me they are doing something right because it got people talking about them.

If the COVID thread taught us anything, it is that comments and views don't always translate to a good thing :ROFLMAO:

If the COVID thread taught us anything, it is that comments and views don't always translate to a good thing :ROFLMAO:
Post of the day right here.

I was wondering where that went. But then realized, it's probably for the best.

I am pretty much to the point where if I see anything anywhere that says “COVID,” “Corona,” etc., I scroll on by, and I am not referring to here on this forum.

I'd be willing to play 18 holes with the Kirkland wedges, just to see. I would not keep them in my bag, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.

I may just have to make a trip to Costco. :LOL:

I definitely want to try them.... COSTCO is 100% Refund no questions asked right?

Right. Just as I would assume that many of the larger well thought out companies have little concern with Costco selling cheap wedges. You mentioned earlier that you took issue with people "labeling" the Costco wedges as "crappy" (or the like), but did the same thing with the analogy.

I dont think too many people have issue with Costco releasing and selling a product. As golfers that take clubs, fitting, and performance to a higher level (being THPers), they would believe (right or wrong) that golfers would want performance. Just as you would prefer, drivers, not go with "crappy" coverage. Make sense?
I get what You are saying but some on here are not going at it quite the same way. Just like "the bomb" golf balls serve their purpose.

As a "golf site" I would think all would be included not just "As golfers that take clubs, fitting, and performance to a higher level (being THPers)".

So are you saying this site is really for "higher level golfers"?

I get what You are saying but some on here are not going at it quite the same way. Just like "the bomb" golf balls serve their purpose.

As a "golf site" I would think all would be included not just "As golfers that take clubs, fitting, and performance to a higher level (being THPers)".

I think the name of the golf website paints a pretty good picture.

Every golfer is included, minus a**holes :ROFLMAO:

With that said, it would be foolish to not educate and share like we do every single day and have for 12 years on performance, technology and fitting.

Not to speak for @JB, as this is not my site, I can safely say THP is for any golfer of any interest level.

If you want hackers, hipsters, and knuckleheads, I strongly encourage you to join us over at GolfUnfiltered.com. :love:

I'd be willing to play 18 holes with the Kirkland wedges, just to see. I would not keep them in my bag, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.

What if you hit them better than what's in the bag now?

So to be clear, my gripe about the K-Sig wedges really isn’t about price or performance (we know little about both, which is perhaps another gripe in itself). My issue is that the K-Sig seems to be unabashedly utilizing something that I loathe, which is taking someone else’s ingenuity and design, having it copied overseas, and then brining it back to market at a discount. To me, that deters innovation.

Take the OG 4-piece for example. Basically a direct copy of Titleist property. Then the K-Sig putter, which is a straight knockoff of the Ping Anser/SC. Now, that wedge in the picture looks an awful like a Vokey SM7 to me on the backside, with the difference being that they milled the small indentation towards the top instead of leaving it smooth. So now, we are basically 3 for 3 with Costco copying a Titleist product. That should not be encouraged.
Here's the rub. The OG Ksig ball isn't a copy of the Prov1. It's a Nassau Quattro (if I remember correctly). Which is a legit brand in Europe. Whether it was old stock or a new run labeled as Ksig I don't know. And on that note, every ball manufacturer has spent years trying to chase the Prov1. Now we're at a point where most have a comparable model.

In terms of the putter, almost every putter company has an Anser like model. That's been going on for decades. Costco was very late to that party.

I don't know a lot about Vokey wedges. So I cannot speak to that. Most wedges share some design similarities.

That is actually my friend Rob's company.
Their gallery shows Amp Cells and Indi Stingray wedges. Do you know what level of involvement they had in either?

Their gallery shows Amp Cells and Indi Stingray wedges. Do you know what level of involvement they had in either?

Stingray, quite a bit. Amp Cells, I am not entire sure, I would say moderate.

Here's the rub. The OG Ksig ball isn't a copy of the Prov1. It's a Nassau Quattro (if I remember correctly). Which is a legit brand in Europe. Whether it was old stock or a new run labeled as Ksig I don't know. And on that note, every ball manufacturer has spent years trying to chase the Prov1. Now we're at a point where most have a comparable model.

In terms of the putter, almost every putter company has an Anser like model. That's been going on for decades. Costco was very late to that party.

I don't know a lot about Vokey wedges. So I cannot speak to that. Most wedges share some design similarities.
I understand totally what you are saying, and they are fair points for sure. But we can't ignore that there was a lawsuit pending between Costco and Acushnet that our very own @Molten gave a good bit of detail about in another thread. Certainly, Titleist feels like they are being copied to some degree.

Historically, as technology gets older it becomes more accessible and prevalent. Just look at iPhones and TVs and cars and a million other products. What irks me a bit with this is that Costco is effectively bringing sand to the beach with these releases, with the only "improvement" being their unique ability to put "Kirkland Signature" on it and leverage their brand loyalty to move the product, where there are still plenty of last-generation options available from traditional golf channels. Costco's entry into the golf market added literally nothing to golf or its evolution, and perhaps even hindered it, albeit in a very small way, thus far.

You can search high and low, scour the internet for days, and pay people to help looking, but you won't find anything much more accurate than that.

Some people just wanna hate.

I understand totally what you are saying, and they are fair points for sure. But we can't ignore that there was a lawsuit pending between Costco and Acushnet that our very own @Molten gave a good bit of detail about in another thread. Certainly, Titleist feels like they are being copied to some degree.

Historically, as technology gets older it becomes more accessible and prevalent. Just look at iPhones and TVs and cars and a million other products. What irks me a bit with this is that Costco is effectively bringing sand to the beach with these releases, with the only "improvement" being their unique ability to put "Kirkland Signature" on it and leverage their brand loyalty to move the product, where there are still plenty of last-generation options available from traditional golf channels. Costco's entry into the golf market added literally nothing to golf or its evolution, and perhaps even hindered it, albeit in a very small way, thus far.
I would have to re-read up on the lawsuit. I thought the main issue was their advertising that the ball was better than leading brands. Don't remember the exact wording. But, maybe that was only part of it. I'm no lawyer, but I do know that companies sue one another all the time.

I think one thing Costco did was make some big waves in the ball market. Opened a lot of eyes to some of the cheaper brands out there. I would bet money that Snell, Cut, Vice, and countless other brands have gained a lot of attention as an after effect of the splash the OG Ksig made. I'd say that's a pretty significant evolution. Options are great and having cheaper equipment available for those who can't afford top of the line equipment is great. $50/dozen is a lot of money for golf balls. $160 for a wedge is a lot of money. I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to save money.

I guess I don't see how it's hindered the game. The game is more about those who play it than it is equipment manufacturers.

Back