Official 2020 MLB Thread

Joe Kelly...
Astros fan here....my take.

The 3-0 pitch to Bregman he should of got a warning. A high 90's fastball around the head is bush league. It didn't hit him so that was his opportunity to exact his revenge for the team he wasn't on in 2017. Him trying to nail Bregman in the ribs with his throws to first base I don't have an issue with but shows that Joe Kelly is your goon.

His pitching to Gurriel I have no issues with, he pitched inside and there was nothing too obscene with it. His pitch that almost hit Correa that is where he should of been thrown out with the warning. He came back and struck out Correa then taunted him and both showed they have no business trash talking as they both sounded like idiots.

If you want to hit the Astros, go ahead if that makes you feel better. The thing is the umps have to do their jobs and prevent the bench clearing stuff. All the ump had to do was issue a warning after the high 90s fastball at the head. He still could have thrown at Bregman's ribs at first base all he wanted too and the pitches inside were fine until he almost hit Correa.

Joe Kelly...

Gave up a grand slam to Howie Kendrick in the 10th inning of Game 5 of the 2019 NLDS. Oh, that wasn't the reference here.

I loved it. Astros deserve everything they get. That being said, benches cannot be clearing onto the field during these times. MLB is having a very difficult time as it is trying to get teams to follow safety protocols, now they're gonna be crowding on the field to fight? Give me a break.

The social distancing issues brought into play by a bench clearing incident aside, if baseball wants to end the potential of any beanballs or bench clearing issues involving the Astros for the rest of this season and beyond, then Joe Kelly should be suspended and so should Dave Roberts. And the suspensions should be significant. I'm not advocating that that occur. I'm just stating what baseball could do.

Bench clearing incidents sends a very bad message. Baseball should be grateful that they are even playing given the state of the virus and what happened with the Marlins. I think they need to focus on keeping everyone as safe as possible.

I love bench clearing brawls - I also love the players "policing" themselves. I also love that pitchers take offense to showboats tossing bats and staring at their homers.

But that is just my personal view, of course.

It's strange how all over sensitive baseball players are to showboating after a home run. Look at what they do in football after a touchdown, all those bums creating little skits and showboating techniques. Hockey they celebrate after a goal, and basketball players jumping all over the place after a slam dunk.

It's strange how all over sensitive baseball players are to showboating after a home run. Look at what they do in football after a touchdown, all those bums creating little skits and showboating techniques. Hockey they celebrate after a goal, and basketball players jumping all over the place after a slam dunk.

I think that's a misconception. You know how many NHL players have got their heads knocked off for perceived "slights" through the years? And the celebrating in NFL hasn't always been that way. I am old enough to remember Barry Sanders and many other players who went about their business. Though I can think of guys getting murdered in the field for insulting their team as well. Basketball...I guess the Bad Boys (Bird, Magic, Jordan) era was pretty crazy.

MLB is a non-contact sport so beaning a guy is one of the only ways they can get back at players.

Cespedes homers for Mets. They score only 1 run (and DeGrom was the starter) but they win 1-0. Edwin Diaz who was awful as closer last year gets the save.
Is this the Mets in a nutshell? Win if they score 6 or more runs or DeGrom shuts someone out.

Well at least the Red Sox won their opener... 4 straights L's since then. 1 - 59 is better than 0 - 60. Haha

LOL.

Kelly doesn't hit anyone and one of his near misses was with a curve ball. Kelly gets suspended. Meanwhile, every single Astros player who cheated in a way that directly affected a World Series doesn't get any punishment. MLB can kiss my ass.

I hope the first Dodger pitch tonight hits someone.

Kelly doesn't hit anyone and one of his near misses was with a curve ball. Kelly gets suspended. Meanwhile, every single Astros player who cheated in a way that directly affected a World Series doesn't get any punishment. MLB can kiss my ass.

1. All teams have been warned on hitting Astros players in retaliation.
2. MLB said that Kelly has history of throwing at players so that was taken into account.
3. Part of the new normal is that you can't have bench clearing incidents and possibly spread COVID.
4. In response to above....and one of his near misses was a 96 MPH fastball at Bregman's head.
5. I read that at the end of the "skirmish" the Astros got a warning from the umpire and the Dodgers did not. How does that make sense?

MLB did what they could do here and I fully expect it to go down to maybe 4 games for his suspension. What I would really like to see the umpires get called out here too. They need to control this better. I mentioned in a post above about Kelly's antics and ultimately he should have been ejected from the game if MLB and the umpires were on the same page.

Astros fan here....my take.

The 3-0 pitch to Bregman he should of got a warning. A high 90's fastball around the head is bush league. It didn't hit him so that was his opportunity to exact his revenge for the team he wasn't on in 2017. Him trying to nail Bregman in the ribs with his throws to first base I don't have an issue with but shows that Joe Kelly is your goon.

His pitching to Gurriel I have no issues with, he pitched inside and there was nothing too obscene with it. His pitch that almost hit Correa that is where he should of been thrown out with the warning. He came back and struck out Correa then taunted him and both showed they have no business trash talking as they both sounded like idiots.

If you want to hit the Astros, go ahead if that makes you feel better. The thing is the umps have to do their jobs and prevent the bench clearing stuff. All the ump had to do was issue a warning after the high 90s fastball at the head. He still could have thrown at Bregman's ribs at first base all he wanted too and the pitches inside were fine until he almost hit Correa.
Wasn’t the pitch that almost hit Correa a curveball?

I’m serving an 8 day suspension away from MLB with Joe Kelly. Really, really dumb suspension. I get why they did it (to protect the batters from being thrown at a lot) but this isn’t the one to make an example of.

Wasn’t the pitch that almost hit Correa a curveball?
It was an off speed 87 MPH pitch that was no where near the zone. From the video it looks like it would have hit it chest area. That pitch by itself is not enough to get someone thrown out of the game. That combined with the Bregman pitch should get you tossed. His taunting of Correa and his history gets him the suspension.

I have no problem with pitchers hitting the Astros players. I think it is dumb to give them base runners but hey do your thing. The other unwritten rule is you get one chance to go up there and do your thing. Kelly waited for a 3-0 pitch to throw at Bregman and that should have been the end of it. You can't keep going back to the well and then taunt the team like a douche.

Kelly is the guy who broke a window in his house playing catch. He isn’t exactly Greg Maddox. The pitch sequences shown below came in the bottom of 6 with the Dodgers up 5-2. The suspension is beyond absurd

974A5C57-4DD8-439B-ABF1-1D42855B947A.pngFE372889-D698-4D4D-B170-99F4E0FD88D2.png

It was an off speed 87 MPH pitch that was no where near the zone. From the video it looks like it would have hit it chest area. That pitch by itself is not enough to get someone thrown out of the game. That combined with the Bregman pitch should get you tossed. His taunting of Correa and his history gets him the suspension.

I have no problem with pitchers hitting the Astros players. I think it is dumb to give them base runners but hey do your thing. The other unwritten rule is you get one chance to go up there and do your thing. Kelly waited for a 3-0 pitch to throw at Bregman and that should have been the end of it. You can't keep going back to the well and then taunt the team like a douche.
I think that the intent might have been there with Bregman (I can’t be in his mind and he is notoriously wild, so I’m hedging a hair but it was likely there). But no one tries to hit a guy with off speed, so I can’t get on board there.

It will be a bit out of character for me to say this, but I think the douche behavior is largely fine if that’s the worst of it directed at the Astros. Don’t end a career but if you want to express your displeasure with words and facial expressions, I guess I’m ok with that. and the reason I’m saying this out of character is because there are no fans to do the heavy lift. Joe Kelly gave them 0.001% of what a fan would on a given night and I honestly think they deserve to HEAR about it but not get hit in the head.

Three things:

1. Don’t throw a fastball in the direction of someone’s head. Kelly may be wild but there is no excuse for his pitch to Bregman.

2. The Astros should expect that they will be thrown at. Just not a 95 plus heater coming at the head.

3. A bench clearing incident would not be good for baseball in 2020 given the state of the virus in the country, what has happened with the Marlins. I guess social distancing wasn’t a concern.

Twins now 4-1. I'm predicting they go 40-20, so good pace right now. (y)

Arizona.

That’s the joke, just like their f****ng bullpen.

I have served one game of my Joe Kelly suspension. The Yankees won anyway. I guess me not watching doesn't matter after all.

I have served one game of my Joe Kelly suspension. The Yankees won anyway. I guess me not watching doesn't matter after all.

But the effort is appreciated

👀👀👀

This is an absolutely stupid stat line

Back