Orange Whip: Will It Aid A Beginner?

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Hi All,

As I noted over in Practice Before Lessons, Or Wait?, I'm a new golfer that will begin taking lessons in early July. Two or three respondents suggested that, when lessons do start, also make sure I'm warmed-up before each lesson.

Thinking about warming up, and the stiffness I feel though my upper body and shoulders when I swing, got me to thinking again about the training aid I'd seen at a local golf store. I think I have an analytical grasp of how the golf swing works. Well, is supposed to work :) The problem there being translating the understanding to execution. When somebody at the store showed me an Orange Whip, the product and the principles behind it called to me. It seemed right.

But $110, I constantly fight with my weakness for gadgets, and gimmicks abound in all fields of endeavor. So, much to my wife's surprise, I gave it a pass on both that and a subsequent visit to the store.

Still it calls to me. So this morning I read the THP review of it and the Orange Peel. I've read the couple threads where members here have used them. But most of y'all are experienced golfers. I'm a beginner. Thus my question:

Beginning golfer: Orange Whip, yea or nay?

Its great tool for tempo. I say yea.

THP is a great place to come to for permission. Ask your instructor about the OW. When (yes) you get one, take it to your lessons and ask him to show you the best way to use it.

THP is a great place to come to for permission.
A bunch of enablers, are you?
lol.gif

Ask your instructor about the OW. When (yes) you get one, take it to your lessons and ask him to show you the best way to use it.
If the consensus here is "yea," I was thinking of heading over there well beforehand, like w/in the next couple days, and asking if I could speak to one of the instructors about it.

I find my OW to be invaluable to me.

I use it to warm up, and I also use it as a training aid to help me hold some lag and release later. I listen for the "woosh" and where it happens.

Anybody else...?

My wife asked me what I wanted for Father’s Day and I told her to get me Skilz swing trainer. Just like the ow but only $71. I’ve been looking for something loosen me up before a round as our league course has no range to warm up. You might take a look at that as well
7590EBC4-3A85-438D-B900-1C4305CB5F79.png

I'm a big fan of the orange whip. I've actually been pretty bad at using it over the last year but this is a great reminder that I need to commit to it again.

Get one and use it before a round... Focus on tempo and "whip".

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

After giving it some consideration I'm going to forgo an Orange Whip at this time. I think it best to first take the lessons and find out if golf is really for me before investing any more than necessary to get that far.

Sounds smart to wait, but I recommend it as well. Or something like it. Probably a decent enough training aid, but it is great for the stiffness. It's like hitting FFW for getting loose. If I only have time for one thing before a round, I whip. I can figure out the pace of the greens and snack/pee once I get out there.

I've had mine for three years and carry it in my bag. It is great as a warm-up tool and it also helps me maintain tempo.

Huge fan of the OW. It really helps my sequence and tempo.

Woke up this morning and changed my mind. Waited about half the day to see if I'd change it again. Didn't. So now I"m the proud owner of an Orange Whip :)

My favorite practice aid. Commit to using it.

Sorry to hijack but I struggle with my early release, position at the top really good but get flippy at the end on my irons. My coach and I have been working at it but struggling to get the feel. Would I be better getting the original or mid-size for working on my irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind the hijack, @barryboymunro, but you might get better feedback by starting your own thread with a subject such as "Orange Whip: Original Or Mid-Size For Ironing-Out My Irons?" :)

As for me: I started working with the Orange Whip a bit yesterday afternoon. I'm following the routine demonstrated in Orange Whip Clinic - How To Use The Orange Whip. I'll get each stage nailed-down before I add the next.

I was already doing some twisting/rotating stretches, but working with the Orange Whip is dynamic, so it's a different thing. I could feel it in my back, obliques, and glutes after just a few light reps.

Initial impression is the Orange Whip is going to accomplish just what I was looking for.

I'm a big fan of the orange whip. I've actually been pretty bad at using it over the last year but this is a great reminder that I need to commit to it again.
Same. Word for word.

My favorite practice aid. Commit to using it.
Soooo. Do as I say NOT as I do...Or have done. I am getting back on the whip. If helps me big time with my turn and tempo. It also works well if it doesnt sit in the corner of my garage.

I got the SKLZ Gold Flex for Fathers Day. I already love how it helps you warm up before a round especially if you dont have a range to loosen up beforehand. And love the feel of the club in my hands after swinging it. Feels much lighter and smoother. Ive tried both and you cant go wrong with either!

100% believe the Orange Whip is good for beginners. When both my sons played junior golf I got the junior versions for them. Their instructors also used them. Great for warm up, stretching, and drills. Common theme with instructors I have interacted with is a easy swing where when you swing to top and feel the ball drop in your backswing (feels like its dropping behind your back), immediately start your transition. After some reps you get to where you are able to feel and do this with your natural tempo/rhythm. Its my go to for warming up before hitting balls at range/course.

100% believe the Orange Whip is good for beginners. When both my sons played junior golf I got the junior versions for them. Their instructors also used them.
Note emphasis added.

My working out with the OW before I received instruction was actually somewhat counter-productive, because my swing was wrong in just about every conceivable way. I had to unlearn bad habits in order to improve.

Conversely: It was working-out with the OW after I'd received instruction that improved my swing and, in one instance, helped me identify a big flaw in my (corrected) swing.

Last edited:
I wasn't a beginner, but was pretty lousy at golf (so...beginnerish?) and I think the Orange Whip helped me a lot. I could never hit a draw before I started training with this, and now my driver swing is more apt to be a draw than a fade (& slices have pretty much gone away). Keep using it regularly & I think you'll be impressed at how helpful it is.

Back