I personally don't see what the uproar is over this wedge, it gives people a choice in their buying. If the OEM irons are that much superior not only in R&D but in manufacturing a club, that too will come out. I've seen cheap golf products(as we all have) and would never play them. So I'm not opposed to just shut the door of the K-Sig wedge, if someone wants to buy it and are happy with the results, it's their game let them choose.

I understand totally what you are saying, and they are fair points for sure. But we can't ignore that there was a lawsuit pending between Costco and Acushnet that our very own @Molten gave a good bit of detail about in another thread. Certainly, Titleist feels like they are being copied to some degree.

Historically, as technology gets older it becomes more accessible and prevalent. Just look at iPhones and TVs and cars and a million other products. What irks me a bit with this is that Costco is effectively bringing sand to the beach with these releases, with the only "improvement" being their unique ability to put "Kirkland Signature" on it and leverage their brand loyalty to move the product, where there are still plenty of last-generation options available from traditional golf channels. Costco's entry into the golf market added literally nothing to golf or its evolution, and perhaps even hindered it, albeit in a very small way, thus far.

Patent infringement was part of the suit, but at the core of the legal battle was Costco's performance claim where the Kirkland Signature ball was guaranteed to “meet or exceed the quality standards of leading national brands.” Acushnet contended that their own testing proved that claim to be false.

If the Costco ball did indeed violate patents, Titleist was justified in taking legal action. Patents are the result of money and hard work, and manufacturers have a right to recoup those R&D costs. Having said that, I never understood why, at least to my knowledge, there was no legal action taken against Nassau, who designed and manufactured the K-Sig ball that started it all.

i completely disagree with your argument that Costco's private labeling wedges or golf balls somehow hinders equipment evolution. It is completely irrelevant. Manufacturers large and small will not stop innovating because of Costco. Assuming no patents are violated, Costco will sell a few clubs - possibly at a loss, the product will phase out in short time, and Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, TaylorMade and all the others will continue looking for the "It" factor to bring more golfers to their brands.

Their gallery shows Amp Cells and Indi Stingray wedges. Do you know what level of involvement they had in either?

FWIW, those AMP Cell irons were possibly my favorite iron of all time. I'm not talking looks etc, but play/performance. They kicked ass.

I call it the ShankMaster2000!

Interesting. They have the Cobra LTD driver listed under their Work section. Wonder what their involvement was in that design.
They have patents for just about everything except wedges.

I don’t know if I’ll buy them, but I can guarantee I’ll want to. We’ll see if the price and my desire match up.

I don't get why this stuff needs to be conforming at all?
Is every house brand/knockoff on the conforming list?

If someone goes to Costco, and takes up golf because they can snag clubs there, or think that it is a good option for their bag, then good for them.

Because I believe it’s stupid.

I can make something and limit the **** out of the stock and sell out too.

Plus, it’s a disservice to the companies who bust their ass doing R&D, in my opinion.

Spoken like a true golfer.

Hey, at least it not a chipper!😎

Hey, at least it not a chipper!😎
Costco is watching... Next release for all the customers that bladed these wedges! Lol

I seriously think they look awesome... Of it were any other logo

Last edited:
I still can't get over the "milled face technology" graphic. It cheapens an otherwise decent looking wedge.

I just hope they put them near the lady who samples something good.

I just hope they put them near the lady who samples something good.
Dude....Costco eliminated the samples because of Covid.

Playable wedges don't have to cost $150 or be bought at close out pricing. If people want to pay that rate to get current product large OEM then more power to them, but there are other options. Whether Costco is one of the options or not I don't know, but I'm not a fan of zero customization options and am not interested in the Costco product.

Dave

So to be clear, my gripe about the K-Sig wedges really isn’t about price or performance (we know little about both, which is perhaps another gripe in itself). My issue is that the K-Sig seems to be unabashedly utilizing something that I loathe, which is taking someone else’s ingenuity and design, having it copied overseas, and then brining it back to market at a discount. To me, that deters innovation.

Take the OG 4-piece for example. Basically a direct copy of Titleist property. Then the K-Sig putter, which is a straight knockoff of the Ping Anser/SC. Now, that wedge in the picture looks an awful like a Vokey SM7 to me on the backside, with the difference being that they milled the small indentation towards the top instead of leaving it smooth. So now, we are basically 3 for 3 with Costco copying a Titleist product. That should not be encouraged.
On the one hand, Costco gets accused of having no R&D investment in their Kirkland-branded golf offerings, but ARE the ones accused of copying other people's designs. I am sure once Costco let's it be known what they are in the market for they are approached and pitched by more than one manufacturer who produces that type of product. I doubt Costco has the expertise to dictate the specifications of any of these golf products. I also doubt Costco is going out to anyone and telling them to specifically copy anyone else's products. Let's face it; products are being copied all the time in China and elsewhere or the exact same product is being sold out the back door under different names after being produced using utilizing the same tooling bought and paid for by an OEM. I believe Costco is approached by people who are already doing one or the other and possibly presenting it to them as being without copyright/patent encumbrances.

If I lived in Surprise(!), I would totally go and set up my own mini demo bay. Grab the wedges, pick up a double-dozen box of the K-Sig balls, throw an artificial turf mat from the seasonal section in the cart, and then go to that back of the store by the mattresses and start hitting into one. I’ll even grab one of their mocha freezes, which are pretty good.

If I lived in Surprise(!), I would totally go and set up my own mini demo bay. Grab the wedges, pick up a double-dozen box of the K-Sig balls, throw an artificial turf mat from the seasonal section in the cart, and then go to that back of the store by the mattresses and start hitting into one. I’ll even grab one of their mocha freezes, which are pretty good.
No hot dog?

No hot dog?
Not since they stopped offering chopped onions and sauerkraut as condiments because of COVID. It may only be $1.50, but I still have standards.

Their market is the very casual or beginning player who does not know this website exists. Their products with few exceptions, such as second edition golf balls, are of top quantity such as Kirkland labeled wines and food products and are reasonable priced. I would never have these clubs in my bag for 2 reasons: quality, grind and loft also I am left handed. Costco also sells some low end Callaway clubs and balls. Why the hate for Costco? The market exists for this type of club.

@AzSuperhack76 Well, did you give ‘em a go? I’m in Nashville. Been stopping by the local Costco every day, but nothin’. Also checking obsessively on the site...nothin’ yet.

Back