Titleist Tour Speed Golf Ball Review

Mid-Priced Titleist? Good Thing. But, it's still a 'premium' price for a Urethane 3 pc ball, though. TM released their RBZ 3 pc Urethane ball 5 or 6 years ago and was $10-$15 less. I suppose the Titleist name still carries the market cachet to charge a bit more. Or was it just priced to fill in the gap from the Tour Feel, Velocity, Tour Speed, to the AVX/ProV1. It slots in at $7 above Tour Speed and $8 below AVX/ProV1- that's pretty convenient, isn't it?

Great article @Jman !
Some of the first things I think of with Titleist for me was early on balata and professional balls.
I think this is more of a company that's evolving and trying to make sales at the same time. I also believe that while evolving and giving options it won't take away from the prov1 what so ever imo.
Just by the picture of this ball I can tell by the cover I wouldn't like it, it looks to plasticky.
Is this ball like an old DT Tour?

This might be a very good ball for a lot of people, what is the compression of this ball?
if i had to guess its gotta be really high, the ball looks like a rock.

How can you tell from the outside?? If this is the result of the exp ball. Then the compression is pretty low. The shinny cover is the result of being TPU vs. cast urethane..

Not sure how you tell that from a pic or from a layer cutaway. But no, it’s definitely not a rock.

Great article @Jman !
Some of the first things I think of with Titleist for me was early on balata and professional balls.
I think this is more of a company that's evolving and trying to make sales at the same time. I also believe that while evolving and giving options it won't take away from the prov1 what so ever imo.
Just by the picture of this ball I can tell by the cover I wouldn't like it, it looks to plasticky.
Is this ball like an old DT Tour?
Also, not plasticky at all, side by side with the ProV’s and AVX it looks the same...:
like a urethane covered golf ball :ROFLMAO: VERY different than the DT Tour which was ionomer.

Also, not plasticky at all, side by side with the ProV’s and AVX it looks the same...:
like a urethane covered golf ball :ROFLMAO: VERY different than the DT Tour which was ionomer.

That is super interesting genuinely because they are quite different urethane products used. Good to know.

That is super interesting genuinely because they are quite different urethane products used. Good to know.
Yup, while it’s a proprietary urethane just for this golf ball, it’s one of the things I mention in the video that it looks and feels more like the top tier Titleist offerings as opposed to the DT’s and Tour Soft’s of the world.

Yup, while it’s a proprietary urethane just for this golf ball, it’s one of the things I mention in the video that it looks and feels more like the top tier Titleist offerings as opposed to the DT’s and Tour Soft’s of the world.

Yeah I heard that part. It just surprises me that it feels like the Pro V1 lineup. Normally cast urethane is very distinctive compared to a TPU. I should have some in hand soon as well, but glad you got to put them through their paces.

This might be a very good ball for a lot of people, what is the compression of this ball?
We weren’t provided with that info to my knowledge, but I’m curious as well.

Yeah I heard that part. It just surprises me that it feels like the Pro V1 lineup. Normally cast urethane is very distinctive compared to a TPU. I should have some in hand soon as well, but glad you got to put them through their paces.
As I also mentioned, it’s with the Oh so scientific fingernail test, so lord knows it’s not gospel :ROFLMAO:

Is this basically a finalized version of the EXP-01 ball from last fall?
Judging by the pictures, it looks very similar to the EXP-01 ball. :eek: Which I wasn't too fond of .... just didn't fit my needs.

EXP_01_Titleist.jpg

Great article James. Love that you went with the irons for this ball instead of the driver/wedge combo. The addition really makes me question the future of AVX or even where it stands now. That ball was "designed for speed" and now we have Tour Speed. Oh and your line about how V1/x were highly touted as the ball for everyone, now is kind of funny considering we have 4 options in that $39+ range.

Oh and sweet video my friend. You make 11 minutes go by quickly.
Thanks for taking the time to watch the video brotherman! They’re fun to do, I think I should do more :unsure:

What is the first word that pops into your heads when you read the word, Titleist?

I’m willing to bet the most common answer will be something to do with Tradition, or ProV1.

Let’s be real, those are exactly the things that should come to mind. Titleist has cemented itself in golf tradition, and the biggest reason for that is the ProV1 and ProV1x. Those two entities have dominated sales for decades now, and that can’t be contested. However, the golf ball market has changed and fitting the broader spectrum has become the name of the game. While once upon a time the story from Titleist was always heavily tilted to the ProV1 and ProV1x being able to cover the gamut of golfers needs, the game has evolved, and we are seeing Titleist evolve with it.

While the release of the AVX turned heads in a big way by being a golf ball for the slimmest of the bell curve, now comes something aimed at the bulk of it, and I honestly never saw it coming.

Continue reading...

I knew it with that thread the other day, lol.

If it competes with the TourB RX I suppose I’m going to have to give it a shot. Just to say that I did. If it works better, I’ll be shocked. Not so shocked that I won’t switch, but still shocked.

Thanks, James. Appreciate the well written review. And I was about to order 4 dz B-Stone BRX's to add to the bag. My last 2 candidates were not as satisfying for my swing speed 91-94 driver, or spun too little or too much. Looking for that "just right" ball. But what about greenside control and check?

this is good to know, i guess when i look at a prov1 the white looks dull/grayish and the cover looks to be soft, when i look at this tour speed it looks brite white which then makes me think plasticky.

this is good to know, i guess when i look at a prov1 the white looks dull/grayish and the cover looks to be soft, when i look at this tour speed it looks brite white which then makes me think plasticky.

I completely understand. I know its lost in translation on the internet sometimes, but urethane and the process of making golf balls is quite different line to line. Often thought of as just two types (surlyn and urethane) there are different types used.

@Jman great write up. I was thinking it was going to be another brand coming out with this from the thread you made hinting about it. I'm also curious abut the compression. I haven't watched the video yet (at work) and if it's discussed there just tell me to watch it. How does it sound and feel?

Nice review! Another ball option. Whooboy. Maybe I'll find one on a course to hit because even at $39 or so, it's still out of my price range.

@Jman - well done. I need to throw this one into the mix. I wonder how it performs for you off the driver?

With the post the other day I didn't even think that you could be referring to Titleist. I was going to spend some more time with the 2020 CSX once I made it through my backlog of ProV1 Xs but now I have another option to check out.

Back