Tour Event Contest: 2020 PGA Championship Sponsored by Golf Pride

does this count as a DJ choke or does the winner tying for lowest round of the day negate that a bit?
I guess it depends on how much you like DJ. :ROFLMAO:

I say it’s a choke. He went in with the lead and got outplayed by a lot of people. And according to the graphic on Golf Channel right now, he’s 0/4 in converting 54 hole leads/co-leads in majors.

I know Bryson isn’t using GP grips and I don’t believe Tony Finau is using them. Anyone else in the top 10 not using GP?

So is Brooks suffering being the victim of karma?

I'd say it's more of him just not being able to walk the walk after he talked the talk. Maybe he should hang around Tiger more so maybe it'd rub off on him.

Outside of Koepka, the guys near the top coming in all played well. Morikawa just went out there and took that trophy.

i agree. lots of rounds in the mid 60s. kinda seems like today was set up for scoring. does that favor a fearless young gun, where a more challenging and strategic layout favors the veteran? i’m not sure.

personally i think there were some pretty compelling storylines that didn’t deliver. dj closing. finau closing. dechambeau validation. koepka threepete. paul casey finally getting his. for me the rookie storyline wasn’t the most interesting, but the kid played a helluva round and i hope he keeps it up because golf needs more consistently good play.

i also don’t remember seeing a major championship where so many putts were left short. nobody had to be defensive on the greens. kinda made it not feel very majorish.

So stoked for Morikawa what a win. Would love to see him and Tiger in a final pairing this year. I have a feeling Morikawa is going to be the best of this huge group of young stars, would love to see him go head to head with Tiger while Tiger still had something left in the tank.

So stoked for Morikawa what a win. Would love to see him and Tiger in a final pairing this year. I have a feeling Morikawa is going to be the best of this huge group of young stars, would love to see him go head to head with Tiger while Tiger still had something left in the tank.
That would have had to have happened about 7-8 years ago then. :LOL:

I'm so glad that DJ was able to slide into T2 so Casey had to split up the prize money and WR points.

Yes, some habits can be expensive.

Meh, Tigers prime may be long past but if he’s tied for the lead on a Sunday I still like him head to head against anyone out there.

Missed some of the broadcast, did anyone catch Koepkas interview when he finished? Curious what he had to say

Missed some of the broadcast, did anyone catch Koepkas interview when he finished? Curious what he had to say
I didn't see one. Seemed like he bailed.

I didn't see one. Seemed like he bailed.
I didn't see one either, and didn't see one on the Golf Channel afterward.

They were talking about him on the Golf Channel after the tournament and he was taking some heat over his post-round interview on Saturday when he threw shade at DJ (when asked about competing with DJ on Sunday he essentially said "I like my chances - I've been there before several times and won, he's only done it once"). The talking heads on Golf Channel were all over it, and they showed a clip of an interview where Rory was asked what he thought about it. Rory is pretty diplomatic and measured in his responses, but he said he thought it was a little inappropriate and disrespectful.

Meh, Tigers prime may be long past but if he’s tied for the lead on a Sunday I still like him head to head against anyone out there.
IMO, one of the biggest things Tiger has lost is the huge, tremendous psychological advantage he had. When he was in his prime, I think everybody else showed up pretty much already knowing that they were competing for second place at best (whether they would ever admit that out loud or not). Playing against him on a Sunday afternoon, he already had the advantage before the first shot was even hit, because he was in their heads big time - they knew that beating Tiger was next to impossible. And Tiger knew that they knew that too.

A lot of these young guns who grew up watching him certainly remember his dominance in that era, but now he's more like an 'elder statesman' figure - they admire/respect him and his accomplishments, but they also know he's not that old Tiger anymore, and he can be beaten. I don't think he gets in people's heads anymore and I don't think any of the top tier contenders would be shaking in their golf shoes facing him on a Sunday. Sure, they know he can still golf the ball and they need to bring their "A" game, but I don't think any of them would walk to the first tee feeling like he's invincible like he was back in the day. He doesn't intimidate people like that anymore (again, IMO).

Everyone from the 2019 Masters must feel like a bunch of chumps after getting beat by a guy with nothing left in the tank then, huh?

IMO, one of the biggest things Tiger has lost is the huge, tremendous psychological advantage he had. When he was in his prime, I think everybody else showed up pretty much already knowing that they were competing for second place at best (whether they would ever admit that out loud or not). Playing against him on a Sunday afternoon, he already had the advantage before the first shot was even hit, because he was in their heads big time - they knew that beating Tiger was next to impossible. And Tiger knew that they knew that too.

A lot of these young guns who grew up watching him certainly remember his dominance in that era, but now he's more like an 'elder statesman' figure - they admire/respect him and his accomplishments, but they also know he's not that old Tiger anymore, and he can be beaten. I don't think he gets in people's heads anymore and I don't think any of the top tier contenders would be shaking in their golf shoes facing him on a Sunday. Sure, they know he can still golf the ball and they need to bring their "A" game, but I don't think any of them would walk to the first tee feeling like he's invincible like he was back in the day. He doesn't intimidate people like that anymore (again, IMO).
Momtgomerie admitted they were playing for 2nd place before Tiger had ever won a major.

This made me laugh.

Well, that's unfortunate but not surprised, given the times....

So saddened, yet sign of the times.

YE Yang says otherwise. He took down Tiger head to head to win the 2009 PGA, coming from two shots back in the final round . Tiger led through each of the first three rounds that year, with a two shot lead at the start of the final round. Paired with Tiger, Yang shot 70 in the final round to Tiger's 75. Yang won by three shots.. The 2009 Tiger was a lot closer to his prime than the 2020 version.

YE Yang says otherwise. He took down Tiger head to head to win the 2009 PGA, coming from two shots back in the final round . Tiger led through each of the first three rounds that year, with a two shot lead at the start of the final round. Paired with Tiger, Yang shot 70 in the final round to Tiger's 75. Yang won by three shots.. The 2009 Tiger was a lot closer to his prime than the 2020 version.
I would agree with all the points you guys made. A lot of Tigers intimidation factor is gone, especially without the fans around to build his momentum. He is no where near his prime and will never regain it.

The reason I would still take Tiger is his all world competitiveness and demeanor. Only a few guys in history in any sport have been able to match world class talent with the ruthless competitiveness and confidence (Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice come to mind). His talent may have faded but he is still a very good pro golfer and his mental game allows him to dig down deep and find something other guys don't have. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm still backing the GOAT tied for the lead on a Sunday.

I know there was some sniping at the amount of commercials on Sunday, but CBS ended up loading up the back-end with lots of shots:

From Classic TV Sports:

Once again, I tracked the strokes televised by CBS during the Sunday round of the PGA Championship. I started the tracking at 4pm ET and counted 496 televised strokes from the final round. This total includes 33 shots that CBS aired on its Eye On The Course split screen feature during seven of the commercial breaks. I stopped the tracking when the final group putted out. This resulted in an average of 1.69 strokes per minute which is by far the highest I have ever recorded for any golf major since starting this tracking in 2014. The previous high was 1.41 for the 2017 Masters. For comparison, the 2019 PGA had only 1.14 shots per minute.

Back