TaylorMade Releases Spider FCG Putter

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Spider putter family is getting bigger, and a little more forward. 

TaylorMade is introducing the new Spider FCG putter, a singular head shape that in its appearance is similar, yet totally unique from any other Spider we have seen.

1-1.png

What is “FCG”?

To the point, FCG stands for Forward Center of Gravity, and we have little doubt that THP readers are familiar with this concept when it comes to putters as it was done last year by another OEM. While that fact makes the Spider FCG feel a bit reactionary, the THP testing on the forward CG concept with putters has shown that it works, and with TaylorMade following into the concept perhaps it will bring more eyes to a concept that...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a nice looking putter. I like the paint scheme.

It's a Spider Frontline :ROFLMAO:

Ehhhhh I'm less interested I n TM offerings year after year, just doesn't do it for me tbh

Shared Technology, the benefit goes to the player. Great write Jman..thanks !Love the look with the KBS Black shaft i bet feb was awesome

Meh... I'm sure the tech works and they were already using the copper color before but it just doesn't do anything for me

I just can't get behind anything Taylormade, but there are two things in Jman's write up that intrigues me. The copper insert and changing headweight depending on length. I wish all companies would do that instead of one weight no matter the length.

I know it’s not the story of this putter but i really like the alignment aid on this. Hard sell for me if I wanted to try forward CG vs the frontline given prices though.

Good review and not a bad looking putter. I like the lines and copper insert... to me, it's reminiscient of a Zebra mallet... and it comes in lefty! But that price... Whoo! A bit steep for me.

Good review and not a bad looking putter. I like the lines and copper insert... to me, it's reminiscient of a Zebra mallet... and it comes in lefty! But that price... Whoo! A bit steep for me.
Not sure what you are seeing but this looks nothing like a Zebra

Not sure what you are seeing but this looks nothing like a Zebra
While it doesn't have the trademark lines of a zebra, it has a similar top shape... to me.

Nice, but I'd still go with the Cleveland. :confused2:

I am not a fan of the look of this putter. It would be a no from me.

What’s are they thinking with those colors?!

The copper is there because the insert IS copper. To me the color scheme isn’t at all the issue.

The issue is this is a 1000% reactionary release taking what someone else built a story on, had success with, and just jumping in with your own version.

Not the first time we've seen TM borrow another storyline/idea from another OEM right? But yeah, very similar idea and execution to what the Frontline putters have.

Having used their True Path alignment on a Spider X, I think it works well for me visually.

Really want to hear the sound off of that copper insert. They've pushed out so many versions of pure roll and the sound/feel has kind of been all over the map.

Really want to hear the sound off of that copper insert. They've pushed out so many versions of pure roll and the sound/feel has kind of been all over the map.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. For someone that loved the original AGSI sound, I am hopeful this one is closer to that.

While it doesn't have the trademark lines of a zebra, it has a similar top shape... to me.
I think your memory may be a bit foggy haha
download.jpeg

The copper is there because the insert IS copper. To me the color scheme isn’t at all the issue.

The issue is this is a 1000% reactionary release taking what someone else built a story on, had success with, and just jumping in with your own version.
I’m going to follow this playbook and change my name to Gman.

the color isn’t doing any favors but the tech certainly has a proven track record of working. I’m torn!

These are really cool. I was impressed by it when I saw it.

Tech sounds fine, but the spider has sure fallen a long way in a few years.
I loved the original shape that DJ and JD are still using, this thing looks awful and uninspired.

It’s very unattractive. Imo and what I like taylormade putters are going backwards but then again they never really had a starting point for me.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. For someone that loved the original AGSI sound, I am hopeful this one is closer to that.

The one that carries the most similarities to that AGSI, to me, was the aluminum insert in the TP Copper Black line. Even had that subtle "tink" sound. All of that has been MIA in the Spider Tour, Spider X lines. So maybe this one will recapture some of that.

I don’t think I would find this putter attractive even at 1:50am

Back