Colin Morikawa: Predict the Future

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Fresh off winning his first major, Colin Morikawa is getting a lot of comparisons. Including one to arguably the greatest ever in Tiger Woods.

He nearly matched Woods’ record for most consecutive cuts made to start a career. He won only his second major played, picking up the 2020 PGA Championship.

So predict the future. How many majors will this young phenom get? #1 in the world? Give us your thoughts.

2.jpg

Continue reading...

Too soon to tell. Potential seems to be through the roof, but we've seen that before where it never panned out. I could easily see a hand-full of majors, and the #1 ranking, don't know when, or even if that would happen though.

Wouldn't be shocked if he has 4 majors when I check back in in 2030

Which would be a hell of a career. I could see him having 2,4 or 6. If he has more than 6 it would be surprising/extraordinary.

Any comparisons to Tiger would be extremely premature. It did take a few years for Tiger to go on his roll of winning majors. Tiger did have 4 wins and 1 major in his first professional year and I think Morikawa is at 3 and 1 so far. Based on that the comparison isn't necessarily out of line.

I think there is a lot of potential in Colin being that he’s so early in his career. Needs to avoid injuries, but I could see him winning a couple more.

He looks really great. I think he will get to #1 ranking and probably win 3 majors

I just hope he doesn't try to change his swing to gain 5 to 10 yards... @Nate

Kid is so good and so consistent it seems. Will depend on whether he wants to be great at his craft or whether he wants to party as a twenty something. He can be great, not Tiger great but great nonetheless. I think he gets the career grandslam

I am bullish on Collin.

• Will reach #1
  • 4-6 majors
  • 20+ wins
  • At least 1 fedex cup championship

While it is very early in his career and a ton depends on health, I like the way the kid (man) holds himself. He didn't fall under the pressure yesterday and came up with some incredible shots. He made a long par putt to save the 1st, his chip-in on 14, and his drive and putt on 16 were Tigeress of greatness. I see many tournament wins in his young future and I wouldn't be surprised if he notched another major this year.

Predicting the future is always difficult, but he has got the game to win multiple majors and reach # 1 in the World. He has three important things going for him: age, talent and one major victory already. The major difficulty he faces is that the fields he will be facing are so deep. So many talented players; so many young talented players.

Gosh, I really hate to jinx the kid as I am a big fan. I predict a great future and will leave it at that. Great iron players tend to have longevity and be able to win anywhere.

I foresee a handful of majors & Will probably reach #1. I think the tell tale of this story will be how he handles winning a major & not crash & burn like others who have done so.

I think the tale will more likely be tied to how he putts. He seems like a bright kid with a good head on his shoulders who has handled things well so far. Before yesterday Morikawa had a history of a balky putter down the stretch. Apparently he missed a 2 foot putt somewhere yesterday but overall he rolled the ball beautifully. If that is the new Morikawa with a putter I think 4-6 majors and a hall of fame career are reachable. If he putts like he did at Colonial it is going to be a lot harder.

Kind of too soon to predict young man's future. He has all the attributes to be great, and with 4 pro tour wins, and a major at such a young age, he's off to a great start.

I think if I had to predict his future golf play, I would say he's going to have a great early run of tournament accomplishments, which just might turn into a "what have you done lately" run of tour play.

I think a lot of his future depends on how he feels about the difference between just making money, and winning.

The money vs winning deal is where a lot of potential golfers lost in comparison to Tiger Woods. Tiger's mind set was that winning took care of the money part. Winning was everything to him. That's the mind set any young pro tour phenom needs to have if they want set themselves a part from the rest of the tour players.

I’d say 5 majors and 20 wins. Hard to tell so early but after fighting that leaderboard yesterday, it has to be huge for a confidence boost.

3-4 majors, 15-20 wins.

That could have been you, Anthony Kim. He's probably out there now, smoking 3 irons and fighting off dimes every bucket of balls.

3-4 majors, 15-20 wins.

That could have been you, Anthony Kim. He's probably out there now, smoking 3 irons and fighting off dimes every bucket of balls.

Anthony never had the attitude of Morikawa. Maybe more talent, not sure there. But never the attitude.

Fresh off winning his first major, Colin Morikawa is getting a lot of comparisons. Including one to arguably the greatest ever in Tiger Woods.

He nearly matched Woods’ record for most consecutive cuts made to start a career. He won only his second major played, picking up the 2020 PGA Championship.

So predict the future. How many majors will this young phenom get? #1 in the world? Give us your thoughts.

View attachment 8957237

Continue reading...

I don't see any way he doesn't make it to #1 in the OWGR. Barring any freak injury, accident, etc., I think he'll get 17 Majors and come in #3 behind Tiger and Jack.

Which would be a hell of a career. I could see him having 2,4 or 6. If he has more than 6 it would be surprising/extraordinary.

Any comparisons to Tiger would be extremely premature. It did take a few years for Tiger to go on his roll of winning majors. Tiger did have 4 wins and 1 major in his first professional year and I think Morikawa is at 3 and 1 so far. Based on that the comparison isn't necessarily out of line.

Why not 3 or 5?

Well, Tiger had 2 wins in his first year ('96), but didn't get a win until his first full year ('97) on Tour. Morikawa had 1 win last year in his first year on Tour and has 2 wins (1 Major) so far this year, his first full year on Tour.

I would say somewhere between 2 and 7 majors with 3 being the most likely. The PGA Tour is way too deep for any kind of run at double digit major wins IMO. When Tiger came up he was the lone great ball striker in a world with a bunch of Webb Simpsons. Now there are so many fantastic ball strikers that it is borderline absurd. Many weeks it's just the ballstriker whose putter got hot that wins out there.

What do I look like, a psychic? 👀

Predicting lots of smiles for Collin’s future. Love what he’s done so far and really enjoy watching him play.

Back