Colin Morikawa: Predict the Future

22 years old, should be very good baring injury. I would say he will have quite a few more majors. Hall of fame for sure.

After that absolute amazing final round and a stellar Saturday too, the future of Morikawa looks bright. Barring injury, he looks poised to be a contender for 20+ years!

I can see him winning 5-6 majors over his career. I don’t think anyone will touch a Tiger type of career in the future.

But who knows, he has that business degree and went to college which is apparently impossible and absolutely amazing according to the golf channel and ESPN as they raved about this every 5 minutes over the weekend. 🤦‍♂️

I think an underrated statistic owned by Morikawa is consecutive cuts made. Only one missed cut in about 25 pro starts ? That's just off the top of my head and may not be accurate. Regardless, making cuts for week after week and month and month is very hard to do, and the mark of an extraordinarily good player.

I'll only go as far as to predict that he has a very bright future and it won't be his last Major win. The next Tiger? It's way too early to hang that around his neck. I will say he's a lot more likeable, though. He seems to have his head on straight, and that's a huge part of the game.

I said it yesterday in the PGA thread. I think he is a career grandslam guy and will get to 6-8.

The guys has less than 1 year on tour and already has 3 wins and a major. I really don't see how people are saying 20 wins? This kid has talent, he's not the best putter but he's making a ton of birdies. He can put in the work with the flat stick and even if he gets up around tour average, he's only going to get better. The sky is the limit for this kid. More potential than anyone I've noticed in a while. He has the game to pick up 2-3 wins a season. Be conservative and call it 2, over 15 more years that's 30 wins minimum. His driving and ball striking are seriously legit.

This kid could be really special.

With the accuracy he has with his irons and wedges I could see him winning a bunch of tournaments and adding more majors over his career

The guys has less than 1 year on tour and already has 3 wins and a major. I really don't see how people are saying 20 wins? This kid has talent, he's not the best putter but he's making a ton of birdies. He can put in the work with the flat stick and even if he gets up around tour average, he's only going to get better. The sky is the limit for this kid. More potential than anyone I've noticed in a while. He has the game to pick up 2-3 wins a season. Be conservative and call it 2, over 15 more years that's 30 wins minimum. His driving and ball striking are seriously legit.

This kid could be really special.

If we define the "modern era" as the past 20 years, only three players have achieved 30 Tour wins. That is Tiger, Mickelson, Vijay.

i'm bearish on Collin. not because he's Collin, but because he's a professional golfer. and golf is hard. the streets are paved with the bodies of those we have been so quick to crown as the next tiger. does Collin have what it takes? so far it certainly appears that way. to me his wins are great, but I think the consecutive made cuts is the most impressive at such a young age, and probably one of the better indicators that maybe he will in fact be the next big thing.

I could see 1 more major. and #1 for a brief time. he just strikes me as a guy who can survive on tour for a long time and make a sh1t ton of money, but won't be a world beater.

Considering I hear he has the 6i dispersion of a lot of pros with their PW, I will think at least 3-4 more are reasonable as long as he plays his game and doesn't fall victim to chasing distance over his accuracy.

I don't think he will achieve Tiger greatness but I certainly see #1 in the world and at least 6 more major victories in his future. With his unreal consistency, I can see him as a fixture at or near the top of the Augusta leaderboard for many years to come once he learns the course.

No disrespect to him, but there are too many others around him with generational talent for him to rack up a even a Mickelson sized load of majors. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he grabbed 3 or 4 of them and logged a fair bit of time as world #1

40+ wins, 10 majors

I give him 4-5 majors over the next 10 years. He's very, very good, but there is a lot of really good competition as well.

He was very Tigeresque yesterday, but maybe even better, because he won from behind... That drive on 16, and the putt.

is he the next Jordan Speith ? Let's hope he doesn't stuff around with his swing....

We'll have to see how he handles the success and the expectations of the future.
He could flourish with the fame and fortune, but he could also wither and disappear if he listens too closely to the media and other detractors.

I think he is the rare player to match the elite talent with the mentality needed to be a star on tour. I think he gets to number 1 and wins 5-8 majors. The only thing that makes me unsure about that is that there is so much young talent in the game right now that he will have stiff competition through his whole career.

Tough call. I could see him winning 3-5 majors and I could also see him falling off the map and never winning another tournament again, especially if he and his girlfriend get married and start a family soon.
Im going to say he wins 3 majors. Hes just got so much raw talent and his girlfriend seems so supportive of his golf that I cant see him falling off the map.

Gave up on predicting this generation's golfers. Perhaps it is the amount of $$$ or number of very good golfers or a combination of both ? Jordan Spieth looked like he was going to have a Hall of Fame career....poof. Same can be said of Rory.

People will want to pay him for exhibitions, and we'll see how his time is managed. I think Covid may actually help - no crowds, less travel.

Gave up on predicting this generation's golfers. Perhaps it is the amount of $$$ or number of very good golfers or a combination of both ? Jordan Spieth looked like he was going to have a Hall of Fame career....poof. Same can be said of Rory.
Both Spieth and Rory will be be in the Hall of Fame, for sure.

Whaddya mean "looked like"? I'd say they've both solidified a HoF induction already.

Back