Colin Morikawa: Predict the Future

Nearly every young player who does well ends up getting compared to Tiger. I remember when Spieth, Rory, Jason Day and others were the next Tiger. I don't think there is a next Tiger. There is a big difference between having a really really good run and having transcendent talent. Morikawa is a Cal Bear so I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is in the former category and not the latter. I think its pretty likely the answer is something between 0-2 additional majors, probably more toward the 0 end of the spectrum.

I don't want to make an educated or uneducated guess.
But I will say this, he is really good, really good ball striker.
The best thing I think a person can say is, the sky is the limit.
He has a lot of potential for very good things to come.

He obviously is a very talented player. I don’t think that he is long enough to be truly dominant over a long period. Most generational players have had a distance advantage. However, I think he will win multiple majors and more than 20 events.

I am bullish on Collin.

• Will reach #1
  • 4-6 majors
  • 20+ wins
  • At least 1 fedex cup championship
Similar to my thinking as well. (y)

also predict his name will be misspelled at least 63% of the time. kudos to you for not adding to that total. ;)

I predict he wins another before he’s 25. I actually think he will be the most consistently successful of the young guns because he plays an old style game.

That young man has a swing that's repeatable and solid, and appears to have the attitude and poise to perform well in big moments. I'd bet he wins at least 5 majors.

Gave up on predicting this generation's golfers. Perhaps it is the amount of $$$ or number of very good golfers or a combination of both ? Jordan Spieth looked like he was going to have a Hall of Fame career....poof. Same can be said of Rory.
They’re HOF’ers.

I think Collin is going to get 5+ majors in his career if he can stay healthy. He definitely has the mental game, that was a huge Sunday for him.

Honestly I think Colin is someone’s that benefits from no fans. My prediction is that he will be world #1 sometime over the next 8 years. I’m also thinking averaging 1.5 wins over the next 5 years is not out of the realm of possibility. I think he will had another major over the next 5 as well. A green jacket absolutely is in his future. I don’t that he will keep this pace with tiger. Tiger got even more dominant after his first major I think morikawa will come back to reality just a lil bit. Maybe the next Spieth except he doesn’t get his talent stolen lol

The guy just put up the lowest weekend total in a Major championship EVER and some of you guys are saying he'll never win any more or very few. I can't understand that.

The guy just put up the lowest weekend total in a Major championship EVER and some of you guys are saying he'll never win any more or very few. I can't understand that.

While Colin is undoubtedly great already... every single year the field gets tougher. Rookie classes are getting stronger and stronger so it's really tough to win. While I certainly think he will win more, I wouldn't be shocked if hes still an elite player for 20 years and doesn't win another.

More than any other skill level/category of player, the newest balls-shafts-clubheads have made the game easier for Tour players. Those with the best swings benefit the most from the newest technology.
So , going forward there will be no shortage of young Tour players hitting super long straight drives and playing accurate approach shots all day long. More than ever before Tour golf is now a weekly putting contest.

While Colin is undoubtedly great already... every single year the field gets tougher. Rookie classes are getting stronger and stronger so it's really tough to win. While I certainly think he will win more, I wouldn't be shocked if hes still an elite player for 20 years and doesn't win another.

Colin was a good player. Collin is head and shoulders above Colin. :eek::geek:

I hope he continues to work on his game and more importantly keep up with the mental game. It would be great to see a young player really take hold of the PGA tour and put on a show. I'm hoping he hits double digit plus tour wins and 5 majors. His consistency shows a lot of promise to make that happen.

Nearly every young player who does well ends up getting compared to Tiger. I remember when Spieth, Rory, Jason Day and others were the next Tiger. I don't think there is a next Tiger. There is a big difference between having a really really good run and having transcendent talent. Morikawa is a Cal Bear so I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is in the former category and not the latter. I think its pretty likely the answer is something between 0-2 additional majors, probably more toward the 0 end of the spectrum.

I agree with the first part of this. Every time a young guy does well he is called the next Tiger, and the guys you mentioned are perfect examples of how they were all the next big thing, and sure some have done well, but not Tiger well.

I think we will see another Tiger one day, I am just not going to jump on the bandwagon that every young talent who wins a major or gets a handful of wins on tour is all of a sudden “Tiger”.

I hope he continues to work on his game and more importantly keep up with the mental game. It would be great to see a young player really take hold of the PGA tour and put on a show. I'm hoping he hits double digit plus tour wins and 5 majors. His consistency shows a lot of promise to make that happen.

Morikawa ranks 107th in driving distance. It would definitely be "good for the game" if a relatively short hitter started winning lots of Tour events. In recent years the media talking heads have babbled on and on about distance, and that is not a helpful message.

I agree with the first part of this. Every time a young guy does well he is called the next Tiger, and the guys you mentioned are perfect examples of how they were all the next big thing, and sure some have done well, but not Tiger well.

I think we will see another Tiger one day, I am just not going to jump on the bandwagon that every young talent who wins a major or gets a handful of wins on tour is all of a sudden “Tiger”.

We think are getting another Tiger, then they turn into this...

With that being said, my gut tells me Collin ends up having a fantastic career.

My crystal ball says he's gonna be better than some and not as good as others. .....what do I win?

So how good is this kid really? What does everyone think his next 5 years look like? Multiple majors? 10-15 wins?

I say like 3 majors, 18-24 regular tour wins, and 2-3 euro tour wins

I say like 3 majors, 18-24 regular tour wins, and 2-3 euro tour wins
If he can start to gain strokes on the greens I think the sky is the limit.

I think it is too early to tell. This could just be another good player on a really hot streak.

I'm also in the boat of too early to tell, right now his future looks bright but could be another flash in the pan.

After 2015, Spieth was a phenom....just never know how a guy will turn out long term

Back