Review OnCore Vero X1 Golf Balls

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Buffalo, NY is the home of the Buffalo Wing, the Buffalo Bills, and even the Toronto Blue Jays (2020, am I right?), but it is also the home of OnCore Golf. OnCore is a direct-to-consumer (DTC) brand that first made some noise back in 2012 when they introduced a golf ball with a hollow metal core, and while some may have looked at that product as a bit of a gimmick, it’s hard not to recognize the amount of growth the company has gone through. Their current lineup no longer includes that ball; however, it does have a low-compression 2-piece ball (Avant 55), a 3-piece tour ball (Elixr), and now for the first time, it includes a 4-piece golf ball thanks to the introduction of the Vero X1.

OnCore gained some steam with their Elixr golf ball. For two straight years, it has received a gold medal in Golf Digest’s Hot List, which is a pretty big deal for a DTC brand.

Continue reading...

Good review and the golf balls sound pretty darn good.
Im not sure I understand the release from a strategy stand point. Market them as limited edition, so if someone likes them, they will have to find a new ball soon? If they move up from Elixir, will that make the golfer explore other 4 piece balls, when the limited stock runs out?

Add to that the highest price DTC ball currently I think. Although Wilson Staff Model is only available DTC right now and it is more too.

Great review. I tend to agree with the price question. Many other balls can be had in that price range directly off the shelf. Personally I’d choose a ball off shelf that is similar for that reason. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for Oncore.

• Staff
I think this release was a way to show what they can do in that market, from a pure performance POV. Looking at it like that, they did an incredible job topping their other "performance" ball.

The limited edition part, yeah I don't know where they are going from there.

Bahahaha, that intro!

Good stuff and some deep data. OnCore confuses me a little still directionally, and add in all these new celebrities that are part owners and I can’t tell if they’re sinking, swimming, or just treading.

The info about the ball shows it to be solid overall, but limited edition is an odd thing.

Great write up. The ELIXR has been my main ball for the last couple of years. OnCore donated 40 dozen balls to a charity golf tournament myself and my previous company hosted for STEM education in the Buffalo area, and that was how I stumbled into the ELIXR. I shot 79 in a tournament with the ELIXR yesterday, and the one thing I wish it did better was more greenside control, which it sounds like like they’ve achieved. I’m extremely interested in the Vero X1.

This really doesn’t move the needle for me! I have a hard time shelling out two Andrew Jacksons for a dozen brand name golf balls, so that price is astronomical for a DTC brand.

• Staff
Great write up. The ELIXR has been my main ball for the last couple of years. OnCore donated 40 dozen balls to a charity golf tournament myself and my previous company hosted for STEM education in the Buffalo area, and that was how I stumbled into the ELIXR. I shot 79 in a tournament with the ELIXR yesterday, and the one thing I wish it did better was more greenside control, which it sounds like like they’ve achieved. I’m extremely interested in the Vero X1.

that is certainly the area when I wanted more from a golf ball when I played Elixr(which was quite a bit last season).

• Staff
This really doesn’t move the needle for me! I have a hard time shelling out two Andrew Jacksons for a dozen brand name golf balls, so that price is astronomical for a DTC brand.

it's rather interesting, at least to me. IF this ball performs incredibly well(which it did for me), I'd have no issue ordering a bunch of them the same I would when I do that with Srixon balls that are the same price. I order 95% of my golf balls online, so whether I order it from OnCore, Srixon, or another place, it doesn't change my purchasing process. I'm going to put it through the process against some other balls here shortly and see how it holds up. But based on what I saw on the course and via the foresight, I think it's a golf ball that is a viable option for my bag.

Bahahaha, that intro!

Good stuff and some deep data. OnCore confuses me a little still directionally, and add in all these new celebrities that are part owners and I can’t tell if they’re sinking, swimming, or just treading.

The info about the ball shows it to be solid overall, but limited edition is an odd thing.

the Zeke Elliot news recently sure is interesting right? I don't know what the future holds for them financially. They seem ambitious with things like the new facility in Buffalo that was announced in the fall. They signed Gary Player, which while I don't think he moves the needle anymore, he hits an OnCore ball for the 1 tee shot that everybody watches him hit. But we all know the long story of the genius ball and where that has gone, or not gone would be more like it.

it's rather interesting, at least to me. IF this ball performs incredibly well(which it did for me), I'd have no issue ordering a bunch of them the same I would when I do that with Srixon balls that are the same price. I order 95% of my golf balls online, so whether I order it from OnCore, Srixon, or another place, it doesn't change my purchasing process. I'm going to put it through the process against some other balls here shortly and see how it holds up. But based on what I saw on the course and via the foresight, I think it's a golf ball that is a viable option for my bag.

I think that is the biggest concern with most DTC companies and where they lie in the consumer eyes.
Meaning that we know none of them make their own products. With that said, neither do a number of other companies for certain products.
But without testing facilities, etc, it does make it harder for the "core golfer" to embrace without 1 of 2 things.

1. Price
2. Tech story

OnCore had the biggest tech story with the Genius ball, but failed to deliver and has now moved that product to a putting only ball (still not delivered.

Price, that is a tough one in that they are the highest priced DTC.

I tested them out and like you, thought they were pretty darn good. The tech story could be rather interesting here, but it appears, at least on the surface, the company is more interested in saying 4 piece, rather than what differentiates them. Maybe its their audience (I genuinely don't know), but that price point is filled with some pretty darn good golf balls.

I think that is the biggest concern with most DTC companies and where they lie in the consumer eyes.
Meaning that we know none of them make their own products. With that said, neither do a number of other companies for certain products.
But without testing facilities, etc, it does make it harder for the "core golfer" to embrace without 1 of 2 things.

1. Price
2. Tech story

OnCore had the biggest tech story with the Genius ball, but failed to deliver and has now moved that product to a putting only ball (still not delivered.

Price, that is a tough one in that they are the highest priced DTC.

I tested them out and like you, thought they were pretty darn good. The tech story could be rather interesting here, but it appears, at least on the surface, the company is more interested in saying 4 piece, rather than what differentiates them. Maybe its their audience (I genuinely don't know), but that price point is filled with some pretty darn good golf balls.

their messaging on it is not the best, we completely agree on the use of "4-piece" as if that is the magic phrase here.
the price market they are diving in to here is a tough one, some very strong options and filled with the big boy companies. To survive there, you have to have a product that can go toe to toe.

I think people who like Elixr will find this ball to be an improvement. People who like Titleist, won't even think about this ball.

The Limited Edition was just for the early users and adopters of the ball, the main production runs won't say limited edition though... If they perform as well or better then the current gen 4-5peice balls as data suggests, I'm down to give them try once the Matte Green version is available!

I believe that the sports people joining as investors are people that have an outstanding experience with their products and want to be part of the story. Don't think it's meant to confuse anyone with what they do or are planing on doing.

Great writeup @ddec this release is intriguing. On one hand you have what sounds like a solid offering, on the other the pricing seems a bit high for something unproven. To me and this is just my stance a DTC brand should be less expensive than other big names otherwise whats the point? I can go pickup a dozen of well known balls and get same or better results.

I believe that the sports people joining as investors are people that have an outstanding experience with their products and want to be part of the story. Don't think it's meant to confuse anyone with what they do or are planing on doing.

While I am sure that is the story and the case, I think many view it differently.
For instance, if Tiger Woods was given ownership of a Sleep Aid, then shilled it, people would say it is because he is an owner, not because he enjoys the product.

In lieu of cash dollars, the company gives a bit of ownership to use its likeness.

Great review! I have been a big fan of the Elixr. Outside of the Bridgestone tour being line up this is probably my favorite ball so I am really looking forward to trying the Vero.

Great write up DDec & the intro just sucked me into clicking "Continue reading"...with that being said could you see these kicking your current gamer out of the bag?

Great write up DDec & the intro just sucked me into clicking "Continue reading"...with that being said could you see these kicking your current gamer out of the bag?

you know I don't know TBH. I mean the numbers I was seeing with them were all good, the on course actions was good, and I didn't have any major durability issues without clanging into trees/cartpath. I'm going to give them a legit look. Playing tomorrow and will have these, pix 2.0 tp5, and probably TourB RXS in the bag. I don't know if I am necessarily losing anything from playing this ball, but I'll have to take some time to really confirm that.

you know I don't know TBH. I mean the numbers I was seeing with them were all good, the on course actions was good, and I didn't have any major durability issues without clanging into trees/cartpath. I'm going to give them a legit look. Playing tomorrow and will have these, pix 2.0 tp5, and probably TourB RXS in the bag. I don't know if I am necessarily losing anything from playing this ball, but I'll have to take some time to really confirm that.
Good to hear. I guess it really comes down to is saving a few bucks worth it in the long run.

I love the pressure the direct to consumer market is putting on the big boys. $47.99 a dozen for balls coupled with manufacturer price protection is bananas. That being said, I just don't see them selling very many of these at the $39.99 price point. Maybe they are hoping the "premium" price will make people believe they are somehow better than the other DTC competitors, but I think it's gonna be a huge flop.

Sales will start out very stale and they will have to lower the price on these. Snell balls are continuously tested against the big boys and more than hold their own and carry a $32/dz price point shipped. I just don't ever see myself forking about $40 a dz for these just to see if they might be better. Vice's new ball is testing fantastic as well and cost around $25/dz when purchases in bulk. I just don't see much success entering the market at this price point.

My last point is that almost every other manufacturer offers their 4 piece ball at the same price point as the 3 piece. If i'm a 4 piece guy, I have other options without having to pay a premium for it through oncore. They really should be pricing these closer to the elixr and no higher than their competitors. Elixr is currently $29.99 for a single dz, they could bring these in at $32.99, any higher than that and it just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially in the current market.

At the end of the day, if I'm spending $40 on golf balls, I'm not buying Oncore. It'll be Srixon XV's or I'll fork over $5 and get some TP5X's. Also, if people are buying online, TP5X practice can be had at $20-30/dozen. I suppose I'm not sure what market they are trying to target here? If it's the cost conscious internet shopper, this is a failing price point. If it's just the Pro-V1 guy that wants to save a few bucks, is he grabbing these or giving Srixon a try at the same price? It's confusing to say the least.

Last edited:
The only reason I'd even consider your ballss is for price reasons and YOUR PRICE IS THE SAME AS OTHER PREMIUM BRANDS ERGO NO ADVANTAGE

The only reason I'd even consider your ballss is for price reasons and YOUR PRICE IS THE SAME AS OTHER PREMIUM BRANDS ERGO NO ADVANTAGE
What if it performs better?

My last point is that almost every other manufacturer offers their 4 piece ball at the same price point as the 3 piece. If i'm a 4 piece guy, I have other options without having to pay a premium for it through oncore. They really should be pricing these closer to the elixr and no higher than their competitors. Elixr is currently $29.99 for a single dz, they could bring these in at $32.99, any higher than that and it just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially in the current market.
I thought the Elixir were in the $34.95 category? Maybe they are just currently discounted?

I thought the Elixir were in the $34.95 category? Maybe they are just currently discounted?

they were, but you can get all sorts of specials on them now. They have updated the pricing to 29.99 for 2020. I'm guessing to cause some separation from these while allowing wiggle room for a price drop.

I believe the new selling price of Elixir will be $29.95.
Which honestly makes a lot of sense with the current market.

Back