Golf Ball Compression: Spin, Speed and Distance

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Lots of misinformation out there in regards to golf balls and compression. We wanted to share the testing and the data and show what happens with a high compression golf ball and low compression golf ball when they are both used by the same golfer.

Dan talks about why this test and comparison is happening and then takes some swings and breaks down the data to explain what is happening and how it relates to his game. From there we discuss why both of these balls are very good, but could be right or wrong for your game.

Soft vs Firm! Fast vs Slow! Spin Increase vs Spin Decrease! So much info and you see all of the swings and all of the data.

This is one you do not want to miss.

document.write("Loading Custom...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video showing what the difference between balls can do for ones game.

Great demo. Significant difference between 2 premium balls. Very eye opening.

Now I need a simulator...

Good stuff @Canadan. Something I’ve noticed in my testing when I’m striking the ball really well I don’t see a big difference. When I’m not striking the ball as clean I’ve noticed a softer ball to be less punishing. Meaning I’m losing less distance. I don’t have access to a monitor to get numbers so on course comparisons is best I can do.

That was very interesting, thanks @Canadan . Very surprising, at least to me, you can have a 10 yard difference in distance. Like you concluded, really makes the argument that fitting can have impacts, in all aspects of your bag. Also makes the case of finding and playing one ball, not a multitude, as your shots can vary so much.

First, THIS IS WHY FINDING THE RIGHT GOLF BALL IS IMPORTANT! For years we have been yelling that from the rooftops at THP. They’re NOT just golf balls and they’re NOT all jus the same. As with clubs, fit matters!

Second, I really enjoyed this, a great rundown of what works for a swing like @Canadan. It also explains everything he and I have been talking about in his iron distances the past year, that move to the RX changed things in a big way, and now we can see why.

Great video. Excellent length. More importantly something that should spur on conversation in the importance of the golf ball to help eliminate some of that one size fits all mentality.

Won’t load for me as I’m in almost the middle of no where. I’ll watch when I get into town.
should be lots of great info here

Always thought it was kinda weird club champion and the like didn't do ball fittings as well.

Thanks for the great info in that video. A breakdown of the Chrome Soft vs. CSX would be of particular interest to me.

That’s nuts! Looks like I’ve been under using the data from the simulator.

An interesting part of the story is how it relates to each golfer. When I do this same test, the firmer golf ball gives me more distance on irons and less distance off the tee due to elevated spin. So there is a give and take there, based on the breakdown of the golf ball. As I get closer to the green and partial shots, the separation also exists with greenside spin.

I just watched. Good info. I am high launch, higher spin myself. I too have found a good match with the B RX (although prefer feel of B X with putter, a totally different story). 👍

This is also relevant with things like reviews and hitting reports on clubs. As initial reports come in I think some want absolutes on spin and distance narratives with new release irons (for exsmple), but it really depends on the player AND ball. Sound changes too ... 😗 I was hitting p770 the other day and the shop owner/fitter throws out a ball — try this one. Lower compression and spin drops significantly. I felt (sound) like I was hitting a different club.

And I also see differences depending on what type of shot I am hitting.

Good stuff.

Great stuff Dan! Just goes to show that the truth is in the data. With your swing speed, I would have guessed the higher compression ball would go further, while also having more spin and dispersion.

Having watched a number of TXG videos where the ball is talked about in terms of how it can change other parameters, I will be keen to watch this later

Never done a ball fitting, as I have always gone off feel, so I do wonder if there is another ball out there that can improve my numbers and help me play better

Thanks for the great info in that video. A breakdown of the Chrome Soft vs. CSX would be of particular interest to me.
We actually put some thought into it, but with the limited time I had at the Tech Studio, we felt a comparison like this would be most eye opening.

I actually hit AVX as well (briefly) but didn't feel like the differences vs ProV1x were dramatic enough to have the same kind of impact. This was about a combination of showcasing benefits, and representing a personal experience where I feel like my shots are genuinely a club longer this year - and the most significant change is the ball.

Really nice video Dan. Great way to to very simply show how much difference a ball makes and that matching it to your swing profile is critical.

The most important part to me in that video was highlighting that spin PLUS descent angle and matching/fitting the two together is essential to maximizing stopping power and distance. Essentially if I summarize, the difference is about ~1400 rpm and about 10 yards of distance between the two balls. Even though we didn't see what the land angle was on each shot, its critical to know as that will dictate what happens once it lands on the green. And ultimately for approach iron shots, that's what matters.

Its something that crossed my mind when gaming Tour BX which matches my swing profile perfectly as I can get 4i to one stop hold on greens and on a good strike will spin back balls on anything under a 7i on most receptive greens vs gaming the Tour BXS which in the middle of the summer I actually found to spin to much for me as I pulled balls off greens. Knowing that and really highlighting what your video talks about, I know I can play the BXS early spring golf where greens are still a little stiff or late fall where they are a bit less receptive and play BX the rest of the year to get a consistent result.

I also want to comment on a couple more things;

1 - absolutely this is one club in the bag. We did the same test in our exploratory session with wedges that showed a greater number of difference, but I felt like adding clubs would not benefit from a time perspective. Obviously those who do seek a ball fitting should make sure it works from wedge to driver. Because of my speed, I have zero fear in the driver slot because any ball speed loss potential is instantly negated by reduced spin (which I want). Could be very different for others

2 - someone already mentioned putter preference which I can absolutely relate to. Making the transition from Tour B X to Tour B RX definitely promotes a subtle yet present audible change. As we golfers are lunatics by design, that absolutely could play a role in preference.

2 - someone already mentioned putter preference which I can absolutely relate to. Making the transition from Tour B X to Tour B RX definitely promotes a subtle yet present audible change. As we golfers are lunatics by design, that absolutely could play a role in preference.

WHere did the Tour B X fit on the scale? Between the prov and B RX? Did the B X give you to much spin?

GREAT video @Canadan

There was some eye popping information in this video. I am not sure how many, but I am willing to bet a lot of golfers are like myself, and just buy golf balls off the rack because we like certain brands, feel, unique characteristics, etc about a golf ball. We don’t truly fit our game to a particular golf ball. Honestly, I kinda thought many balls that are similar in price point would react the same way with the same swing speed. I know it’s been talked about here and companies like Bridgestone are doing the fit for ball apps and such. If I asked 10 regular every weekend to the casual golfer they would argue there is no reason to get fit for the ball itself.

Watching this video is eye opening to me on how I have looked at clubs and shafts so much and not at the ball enough.

If you all get a chance later, it would be interesting to see something similar with those with slower swing speeds. How compression of a low compression ball works with the slower and higher swing speeds.

Last edited:
Once again my mind is in ball ponder mode, without the capability to get on a monitor and compare data it is tough. Very eye opening video!
Glad you didn't have that swing versus Jdax;)

WHere did the Tour B X fit on the scale? Between the prov and B RX? Did the B X give you to much spin?
I actually did not hit them in the tech studio, but I had a chance to go to Bridgestone HQ last year where I got fit into RX. If you haven't had a chance to watch that discussion with @rehbirdie, check it out;

Once again my mind is in ball ponder mode, without the capability to get on a monitor and compare data it is tough. Very eye opening video!
Glad you didn't have that swing versus Jdax;)
haha, my second swing against @JDax was more in my realm. First one was a bit of a whoopsie for sure :ROFLMAO:

Watching this video is eye opening to me on how I have looked at clubs and shafts so much and not at the ball enough.

To use an example, there are not many shafts on the market outside of extremes that would change 1200 rpms of spin.
Heck, there are not many club heads that would, again outside of extremes.

So for all of the conversation and attention to detail that we as THPers put into finding the best combination, it makes sense to put that same thought into the ball.

Thanks, Dan. Very enlightening. Is there a chance we could see a similar demonstration and comparison for the balls that fall into the category just below the ProV and Tour B X/RX families?

Back