Review Tour Edge EXS Ti-Utility Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Tour Edge continues to shape and evolve their Exotics lineup into one of the deepest and most well rounded out there. Since the inception of the EXS offering last year, which paved the way to the current EXS 220 and EXS Pro lines, they have opened many eyes that they can design as well as anyone out there, and at times maybe even better. 

One club type that Tour Edge has been on the cutting edge of long before the EXS series however are ironwoods and utilities, in fact, it’s no exaggeration to say they set the curve for many years. With that in mind, I was eager to get their new EXS Ti-Utility. The titanium cup faced design was put to the test and a full rundown and review can be seen in the following THP TV video. After you check it out, be sure to jump into the conversation and let the THP community know what you think...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
Since shooting this I’m finally getting around to also trying a different shaft setup in it to see what happens when I move to a profile I’m comfortable with. There is a ton of ball speed potential here, and this as well as the Tec Ustility are the hottest I think I’ve ever hit.

Enjoyed the heck out of that. Love how deep you went with the info, including comparing the sorts of welding vs combo braising. Thick topline doesn't bother me much and I love that you don't see the junk in the truck, even though the sole doesn't look overly thin.

Oh and that price point is killer at 199.

Strong info.
I am not a utility club player, as I prefer a hybrid in the spot, but Tour Edge makes a great hollow body club.

Great review as always @Jman! From playing the last iteration of these irons, the new offering looks so much better! Sleeker and more compact surprisingly. The one thing that always stood out about these irons is how high the ball launches! You would expect with that much mass behind the ball, it would just bore through the air, but I found ball flight was super high.

Great review as always @Jman! From playing the last iteration of these irons, the new offering looks so much better! Sleeker and more compact surprisingly. The one thing that always stood out about these irons is how high the ball launches! You would expect with that much mass behind the ball, it would just bore through the air, but I found ball flight was super high.

J.B.
This one is the utility, not the hybrid iron line or Ironwood. I agree the 220h looks better than the previous Ironwood though, the Ti-Utility only goes from 2-5.

• Staff
Enjoyed the heck out of that. Love how deep you went with the info, including comparing the sorts of welding vs combo braising. Thick topline doesn't bother me much and I love that you don't see the junk in the truck, even though the sole doesn't look overly thin.

Oh and that price point is killer at 199.
It’s a TON of bang for the buck given the titanium cup face

It’s a TON of bang for the buck given the titanium cup face

I'm not much of a utility guy. In my mind I don't generate the speed needed for it, so I prefer hybrids. But damn you made it sound pretty freaking attractive, esp at that price.

Now the question....1 take?

J.B.
This one is the utility, not the hybrid iron line or Ironwood. I agree the 220h looks better than the previous Ironwood though, the Ti-Utility only goes from 2-5.

I’m confused. Is the Ti-Utility not taking the Iron-Woods place?

I’m confused. Is the Ti-Utility not taking the Iron-Woods place?

I think a bit of yes and no.
The ironwood became a full iron line and was offered straight through as a set or separate.
Tour Edge has put out their hybird iron line separate from the Ti-Utility.

Going off memory, I do not believe the Ironwoods were Titanium, were they?

These look great and the details provided are awesome as always. Love the hollow body w/ weight allowing the playability on some off centers.:love: understanding not as forgiving as hybo, might look for these in the shop for the bay experience.

The ironwood became a full iron line and was offered straight through as a set or separate.

No sir, I don’t think so. Just had a forged “L cup face”.

Nope, they weren’t. Just cup face.

These look great and the details provided are awesome as always. Love the hollow body w/ weight allowing the playability on some off centers.:love: understanding not as forgiving as hybo, might look for these in the shop for the bay experience.
I’d call them firm and hot feeling. I hope you can find them to hit them, look forward to feedback.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a utility guy. In my mind I don't generate the speed needed for it, so I prefer hybrids. But damn you made it sound pretty freaking attractive, esp at that price.

Now the question....1 take?
The speed is really impressive, if I can crack 140 in a 4U, it’s hot. This and the Tec have let that happen this year

So I just spent the last 20 minutes hitting this thing and I must say that @Jman nailed the conversation in the video. Some companies do the acoustic right and Tour Edge definitely hit the mark with that.

These are at a solid price point and your review is exciting @Jman. As someone who has struggled with hybrids I will certainly have to try this one out!!

These are at a solid price point and your review is exciting @Jman. As someone who has struggled with hybrids I will certainly have to try this one out!!
I look forward to what you think! (y)

So I just spent the last 20 minutes hitting this thing and I must say that @Jman nailed the conversation in the video. Some companies do the acoustic right and Tour Edge definitely hit the mark with that.
It’s well done, it’s not going to get anyone to use that silly “buttery” term, but it’s also not going to scare anyone off with harshness either.

It’s well done, it’s not going to get anyone to use that silly “buttery” term, but it’s also not going to scare anyone off with harshness either.
This should be okay though, right? I can understand wanting a soft feeling out of scoring irons but do people really care when it comes to a utility / driving iron? I just want it to perform. Anything above that is a bonus!

I haven't tried enough utilities like this. This is another one that makes me want to try more of them.

This should be okay though, right? I can understand wanting a soft feeling out of scoring irons but do people really care when it comes to a utility / driving iron? I just want it to perform. Anything above that is a bonus!
As long as it doesn’t sound like a PING utility, it’s all good. ;)

I haven't tried enough utilities like this. This is another one that makes me want to try more of them.
It’s been interesting to watch the market segment grow. I’ll be real in that it’s pretty amazing to see what tech companies are managing to work into them.

Plugged a Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic 80g iron shaft into this one to take out tomorrow. Hope to add to the thoughts in the review soon.

Back