Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

I guess I'm out to busy enjoying myself to worry about someone elses wardrobe. Non issue for me.
Im not worrying about it either while playing and probably not even noticing what most folks are wearing unless it stood out like a sore thumb or something. But kind of besides the point of discussion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is saying a course can't have a dress code policy. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter to me whether it does or does not. Even if you don't agree with me, surely you can understand where I'm coming from. No?

The question is: Should golf have a dress code? Some think it should... universally.... on all courses. What you might describe as a "soft" code would likely fall woefully short of what others believe is just right.

There are some who, if made king of the golf world, would not allow this attire at any course.

The slippery slope is one reason why some don't feel it should be universal and why leaving it up to individual courses seems more logical.

In the end, most courses are purchased or built by those looking to make a profit. They may care less about integrity, respect for the game or whatever reasons you might feel a code is necessary, and instead make their decision based on which end of the dress code spectrum will generate the most profit. They might base that off of the community nearest the course as @BeCu_Ping suggested. If that community is rural, you'll likely see some wearing camo and denim. Again, absolutely not allowed at some courses, welcomed by others.

Maybe you're not saying the same dress code should be applied exactly the same to all courses. Instead, maybe you're suggesting all courses should simply have something in place... a minimal code. Is that correct?
absolutely I understand it deosnt matter to you. The things I questioned of some folks is......its often mentioned that a public muni should be different and i ask them but why does or would a muni golf course some how be different? as though its not acceptable for a muni to ask this of its guests?
Almost as though society itself cannot nor should not hold itself to any standard at all. And i find that to be one of the issues in the larger picture of which our golf world is only a small part. But its all the small parts which then make up the large picture.

Your second question.....i think most all courses (meaning "golf" itself as the topic question asks of us) should have at least something even if as minimal as a collared shirt. And as for why? it relates back to my feelings about our society and what ive mentioned about a correlation between dress and behavior however minimal it might be. That correlation does exist. I feel its a good thing and for good reason that we (via our golf) ask something so simple of each other. To me its just something that says ..."hey, while here we expect you to maintain a respectable atmosphere and one also consistent with golf etiquettes" and it also says...."and this is what you can also expect in return".

Imo and experiences, i feel more and more places where the public is welcome are becoming less nice to be at because peoples good qualities (respect, common courtesies, and ettiquette) are slowly yet gradually diminishing more and more. And id like to think that golf courses (yes even public ones) is one place in which doesnt follow down that same route of diminishing good qualities. And imo a simple easy dress code can do its small part which helps preserve this while on the courses.

Last edited:
Wearing respectful clothing makes a statement that says I respect rules, laws, and other people's feelings. We live in a society where people are shunning rules and laws and it is causing nothing but chaos. I always feel better when I am dressed appropriately and see other people dressed appropriately as well. I'm not over the top about it and do like some casual wear, but respectful at the same time.

There has to be some sort of rules or it'll look like one of those people of walmart videos out on the golf course. Entertaining for a minute, but morally wrong long term. :D

I'm all for a dress code, but I'd like to see a little more casual wear allowed. Something like No jeans or jean shorts, no holes in your clothes, no tank tops or sports jerseys. And no Loudmouth apparel. :D

I’m all for private businesses setting whatever rules they want. If I don’t like them I’ll go somewhere else.

I also probably don’t want to play anywhere with a strict dress code. If a place requires tucked in shirts, they are probably stuffy enough in other ways that I won’t enjoy things. They probably also cost more than I’m willing to pay.

Why shouldnt a public muni course also have a standard? I feel part of the issue with society in genral nowadays is the fact that standards like unofficial drss codes keep lacking more and more. And in my strong opinion I believe its no coincidence at all that so has respect, common courtesies, and etiquette gone down with it.

My muni courses are not funded by tax dollars and in fact its customers green fees not only supports the golf itself but also brings in excess which then supports other avenues of the municipality.
But regardless whether the muni golf is a money maker or not,...why in the world cant it still have a dress code policy?

Why is there this constant notion in this thread that somehow the general public does not have to nor is capable of a simple standard of a little dress code which does nothing more than suggest that we hold ourselves to a respectable standard of behavior and is also what we can then expect in return from others while we are there.
Why is this somehow the incorrect thing? Why not a a society cant we demand even a small standard without it being viewed as some type of negative discrimination or insult of some sort? Why must everyone fit into everything with zero standards and the way they see fit however they wish? Why can we not ask a small standard of each other to try to help maintain some of whatever is left of respectful good behavior , common courtesies and etiquette?

And please (to all) stop with the specific scenario where one can dress like a slob and be a great and well behaved person while another can dress great and yet be a total jerk. Sorry but that just inst relevant to the large picture.

Just when exactly had it become wrong to hold each other (as a society) accountable for a certain level of respect, etiquette and common courtesies to be displayed towards and with each other? A soft simple easy dress code really does nothing more than asks us to have an awareness of that. Why is this such a bad thing or problem at the public level? Are we that far gone? perhaps we are. and thats pretty sad imo.
I agree with you. I was just trying to walk a fine line and not offend everyone.

Here is the dress code for an upcoming tournament I am playing in:

DRESS CODE
Shirts with collars and sleeves are required; however, women may
wear collarless shirts with sleeves or sleeveless shirts with collars.
Neither tank tops, tee shirts, short shorts, gym shorts, cut-offs,
bathing suits nor denim pants/shorts are permitted. Players are
expected to adhere to the dress code. Those inappropriately attired
may be asked to change clothes before being allowed access to the
course. The tournament committee will adhere to any more specific dress code
required by a host facility.

It's been my experience in life that people who dress like slobs act like slobs more often than not.

I also agree with "your business, your rules" line of thinking.

FWIW, I notice a LOT less un-repaired ball marks on private courses than I do on courses with lax dress codes.

Correlation is not causation, but it makes me take notice.

I agree with you. I was just trying to walk a fine line and not offend everyone.
Understood.....and as for walking on egg shells when we speak or if we care to place some even just minor demand on society for a greater good and yet have to worry we might offend someone? hence imo part of the issue.

What do I care what someone else is wearing? I don't. I go to the course to golf, not analyze if someone's shorts fit his legs and ass nicely.

And as far as cut off jeans- I haven't seen them since my dad wore them in 1982.

What do I care what someone else is wearing? I don't. I go to the course to golf, not analyze if someone's shorts fit his legs and ass nicely.

And as far as cut off jeans- I haven't seen them since my dad wore them in 1982.
Frankly, I care what people wear in certain venues, More at upscale settings, but even on municipal courses. Atmunis I don't mind seeing shirts not tucked in, and even cargo shorts if people choose, but you can still look respectful with that type of clothing. Private clubs, it's nice to see people adhere to a dress code.

If it’s made by a major brand specifically for golf it’s ok by me.

I was behind a slow foursome this morning who wouldn't let me play through. The strange thing is that they were dressed immaculately. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized my shirt had become partially untucked meaning I was obviously being the asshat. Once I tucked my shirt back in, watching these guys standing around and taking their sweet time instead of playing ready golf or offering a faster player to play through became much more tolerant.

I was behind a slow foursome this morning who wouldn't let me play through. The strange thing is that they were dressed immaculately. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized my shirt had become partially untucked meaning I was obviously being the asshat. Once I tucked my shirt back in, watching these guys standing around and taking their sweet time instead of playing ready golf or offering a faster player to play through became much more tolerant.
I’ll bet they’d have let you right through if you’d been wearing joggers and a blade collar shirt!

I’m going to play in an untucked tshirt and backwards hat today. Sue me.

I think we need to make sleeveless collared shirts a norm for men. I mean women can have them but not men, come on!
I agree it probably won't look great but I am all for suns out guns out.💪💪💪

If that's how you want to present yourself, and the course allows it, go ahead. Although, I can see you never golf at private courses or tournaments, and are out for fun in a few beers. Many better golfers enjoy dressing respectfully and that's why they join private clubs so they don't have to deal with the riff raff.

Golf needs mandatory long sleeve shirts and pants. That should help with my sunburn 😏

If that's how you want to present yourself, and the course allows it, go ahead. Although, I can see you never golf at private courses or tournaments, and are out for fun in a few beers. Many better golfers enjoy dressing respectfully and that's why they join private clubs so they don't have to deal with the riff raff.
Lmao, you know little to nothing about me. I play in tournaments and at super nice private courses, and dress accordingly. You know what they say about making assumptions.

This riff raff just shot -3 today soooooooo....

No, I don't know that much about you, but from the basis of the point you made in this particular post , it comes across as a little bit rebellious and entitled.

No, I don't know that much about you, but from the basis of the point you made in this particular post , it comes across as a little bit rebellious and entitled.
Or maybe, just maybe, he was just playing loose and having a little fun.

Back