Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Two weeks ago, Mizuno unveiled the JPX 921 line of irons and if you missed our preview, check it out here. Over the last two weeks, we have been busy in the THP Tech Studio putting each of the four sets to the test.

The lineup consists of the Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, Forged and Tour. We wanted to not only tell you about the results, but show you the testing and talk you through some swings.

In the video below, we take each set for a test drive and talk a little bit about the tech, but go a step further and compare all four to each other in the wrap up with all of the data.

After watching the swings and hearing about the clubs, which set do you think fits best for your game...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great roll-up of all the irons Dan.

On the video the new Forged sounded great. Hopefully the new Chromally doesn't feel as clicky as the boron infused carbon steel.

Good stuff Dan. Those seem to blend amazingly well.

Man, is ANYONE rolling like Mizuno right now? I only had slight interest at release data, but this opens a whole of can of worms...er....intrigue now. The end section was killer, great way to tie it all together.

Very interesting.
The Tours/Forged question is more alive now than before. Will definitely have to try both.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Really nice review Dan. I love the use of video and launch monitor. From what I recall you are generally a very high spin player, yet the spin numbers on these are in the 5,000 to 5500 range with a 7 iron. Is it fair to say these are slightly lower spinning irons across the board?

Great video, Dan! Those Hot Metal Pros are looking like a great offering for Mizuno this year!

Great video Dan! Loved seeing and hearing the irons in action and listening to your description and analysis of each model.

Going to have to watch the video later, but this is one I've been waiting for, thanks.

fantastic info here. extremely well-rounded when reading @Molten's article and then seeing the tech on display in @Canadan's testing.

dan if you had to pick: what would you put in your bag from this lineup? looks like hmp and 921f would suit you best based on dispersion and consistency.

Thanks, Canadan. I was dithering between HMP and 921F. I hit the 919F well in 5i and up, but always looking for consistency and distance. The 921F goes back to 1025E in the 8-PW, meaning does one want possibly more precision while giving away distance and a tad bit of forgiveness. My heart wants the 921F, my mind says get the 921 HMP.

But I may go mixed set. I've still hit the longest 7i and 8i in the Forged with the right shaft. Demo.

fantastic info here. extremely well-rounded when reading @Molten's article and then seeing the tech on display in @Canadan's testing.

dan if you had to pick: what would you put in your bag from this lineup? looks like hmp and 921f would suit you best based on dispersion and consistency.
That's a great question.

I love the control and 'get what you give' design of the tours, which I felt was intentionally put on display during the video. I'd have to optimize them in loft to play more into how I present the head to the ball at address to really optimize my numbers, but I think they have been a really fun comparison to my MP-18 SC irons as I play them for a couple rounds.

That said, as much as I adore HMP and how easy the long irons are to hit, I think from a 'one set only' perspective the Forged are the most appealing to me right now. It's hard to argue the peanut sized dispersion numbers at a 190 yard flag. Even if it meant I had HMP in the 4/5 I still think I'd be all in on Forged.

Really nice review Dan. I love the use of video and launch monitor. From what I recall you are generally a very high spin player, yet the spin numbers on these are in the 5,000 to 5500 range with a 7 iron. Is it fair to say these are slightly lower spinning irons across the board?
With my current ball selection I am very much into the 'mid' spin realm which is unbelievable for me. Throw in the ProV1x and I am right back up to that 6-7,000rpm of spin between the heads.

So, considering that, I don't think these irons are crazy low spin, definitely not like some of the offerings we've seen lately. The Tours offer a pretty good baseline, as there isn't a significant way to control spin off an iron that's as close as you can get to a muscleback. Is there a touch less throughout the lineup? Yeah, I suppose. Is it significant? I don't think so.

With my current ball selection I am very much into the 'mid' spin realm which is unbelievable for me. Throw in the ProV1x and I am right back up to that 6-7,000rpm of spin between the heads.

So, considering that, I don't think these irons are crazy low spin, definitely not like some of the offerings we've seen lately. The Tours offer a pretty good baseline, as there isn't a significant way to control spin off an iron that's as close as you can get to a muscleback. Is there a touch less throughout the lineup? Yeah, I suppose. Is it significant? I don't think so.

Look at you joining us Mid-Spinners haha. Appreciate the feedback. Can't wait to hit these.

That's a great question.

I love the control and 'get what you give' design of the tours, which I felt was intentionally put on display during the video. I'd have to optimize them in loft to play more into how I present the head to the ball at address to really optimize my numbers, but I think they have been a really fun comparison to my MP-18 SC irons as I play them for a couple rounds.

That said, as much as I adore HMP and how easy the long irons are to hit, I think from a 'one set only' perspective the Forged are the most appealing to me right now. It's hard to argue the peanut sized dispersion numbers at a 190 yard flag. Even if it meant I had HMP in the 4/5 I still think I'd be all in on Forged.

What's a 4i?

I have a 5i in the 919 HMP - like it. Hit the 919F 6i well. Guess the question is whether you lose much in the 921 in the slightly smaller head - but then the tech story is hotter face and more forgiveness in 921F over 919F due to new design.

Another nice Range Days video, interesting to see all four models head-to-head like that. Thanks.

Im curious on this too but I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s also partly because of the mats. The 921F are spinning a few hundred rpms more than the KFT I did a head to head comparison. But indoors the spin numbers are a hair lower vs turf.

Edit - I see Dan beat me to answering and it serves as a reminder to read the whole thread before commenting

I would like to eventually know Mizuno's reasoning/explanation for not going full Chromoly in the Forged from 8-PW.

I would like to eventually know Mizuno's reasoning/explanation for not going full Chromoly in the Forged from 8-PW.
My guess - the same reason most companies change it up: too hot for scoring clubs. For example, Callaway drops the cup face, Wilson has fewer power holes, etc. Or maybe it’s spin related. I’m just guessing but I’d like to this it’s an educated guess.

(Cue someone proving me wrong...)

Im curious on this too but I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s also partly because of the mats. The 921F are spinning a few hundred rpms more than the KFT I did a head to head comparison. But indoors the spin numbers are a hair lower vs turf.

Edit - I see Dan beat me to answering and it serves as a reminder to read the whole thread before commenting

I appreciate that comparison too. I felt the KFT spun plenty for the launch, so glad to hear these are offering even a bit more.

My guess - the same reason most companies change it up: too hot for scoring clubs. For example, Callaway drops the cup face, Wilson has fewer power holes, etc. Or maybe it’s spin related. I’m just guessing but I’d like to this it’s an educated guess.

(Cue someone proving me wrong...)

Thanks, the hot face was my assumption. Just wanted to officially know the reasoning as I think we all do. I just think it's interesting - the design, reasoning and if they even tried a Chromoly face without the sole milling - similar to 921F 8-PW.

Thanks, the hot face was my assumption. Just wanted to officially know the reasoning as I think we all do. I just think it's interesting - the design, reasoning and if they even tried a Chromoly face without the sole milling - similar to 921F 8-PW.
Yeah, I don’t have the official reason but what I do know is that full body chromoly head is a boat load of fun to hit. It adds a layer of forgiveness that I wasn’t expecting because of the retained speed on smaller misses.

so based on what I've seen here and elsewhere, I think my ideal combo set would be hmp 5-6, 921f 7-gw. if dan can't hit a green with the tours, I sure as hell can't. it almost sounds to me like the tours should have their own moniker, not even part of the 921 lineup.

I'd like to test these against my gamers. biggest thing i'd be looking at is peak height, spin, and turf interaction. those are the things about my gamers that I think aren't perfectly optimized for me.

Great video @Canadan! The THP Tech Studio is proving to be one of the best sources of unbiased information in the golf community today!

so based on what I've seen here and elsewhere, I think my ideal combo set would be hmp 5-6, 921f 7-gw. if dan can't hit a green with the tours, I sure as hell can't. it almost sounds to me like the tours should have their own moniker, not even part of the 921 lineup.

I'd like to test these against my gamers. biggest thing i'd be looking at is peak height, spin, and turf interaction. those are the things about my gamers that I think aren't perfectly optimized for me.

That's where my breakpoint is - 5-6i in HMP. 7-PW in Forged. In fact, I have the 919 HMP and Forged - that's the breakpoint I take to the course. Playing 6600 yrd courses, I need all the distance I can muster from 170+. I don't hit 193 yd 7i. :oops: Right now, if I can muster 160 consistently in a 7i, I'm shedding tears of joy. Another reason I'm retooling the swing and beefing up old man body - distance and consistency.

Back