I would like to eventually know Mizuno's reasoning/explanation for not going full Chromoly in the Forged from 8-PW.

Okay, are you ready? Here is the shorter version of the phone call I just had discussing your question.

As iron lofts go up, the necessity for what chromoly brings goes down a bit. There is a level of diminishing returns due to what happens as lofts increase.

I doubled down and asked the question I figured would come from THPers post this answer. What happens if you hit the 7 and 8 iron, same speed slight miss, would the gap be larger than expected due to higher COR The answer was no.

Well done, Dan. Those HMP's are really calling to me.

this is the first iron lineup to really capture my attention since the Apex refresh. Really want to test these out at some point.
Great breakdown Dan!
Curious what you feel could be the benefits of the forged over the hmp.

Okay, are you ready? Here is the shorter version of the phone call I just had discussing your question.

As iron lofts go up, the necessity for what chromoly brings goes down a bit. There is a level of diminishing returns due to what happens as lofts increase.

I doubled down and asked the question I figured would come from THPers post this answer. What happens if you hit the 7 and 8 iron, same speed slight miss, would the gap be larger than expected due to higher COR The answer was no.

Thanks, JB!

I found no large gap between 7i and 8i in the 919F - was wondering if design changes, etc. and going to Chromoly would have an effect. Asked and answered - great info!

Reactions: JB
so based on what I've seen here and elsewhere, I think my ideal combo set would be hmp 5-6, 921f 7-gw. if dan can't hit a green with the tours, I sure as hell can't. it almost sounds to me like the tours should have their own moniker, not even part of the 921 lineup.

I'd like to test these against my gamers. biggest thing i'd be looking at is peak height, spin, and turf interaction. those are the things about my gamers that I think aren't perfectly optimized for me.
That seems like a really good way to do it.
For me I find that between the 7i and the 6i is where I have a completely different approach to shots. 7i is still pin seeking territory, whereas 6i becomes always aim for the front middle of the green.

That seems like a really good way to do it.
For me I find that between the 7i and the 6i is where I have a completely different approach to shots. 7i is still pin seeking territory, whereas 6i becomes always aim for the front middle of the green.

in my mind I like to think I can seek a pin with a 7i, but in reality that's more of a middle of the green iron. while i'm ok with a little more heft in the harder-to-hit, happy-to-even-hit-the-green irons like 5 and 6, I want a smaller footprint with irons I feel should end up on the green.

Love how Mizuno has the 5 yards thing going- making it much easier to follow.
HM and HMP: +5 yards over the Forged.
Forged: +5 yards over the Tour.

This is a fun item to digest, in conjunction with @molten’s great write up. I love the idea of the forged, but I would have to think that for most who are looking for a smaller package than full on game improvement, with less offset, the HMPs are going to be the best choice. It would be interesting to see the relative sales numbers in 8 months.

@Canadan GREAT video! I really like what Mizuno is doing with the hybrid release along with the ability to blend them in with four sets of irons. It's crazy how well distance dispersion was kept between the four sets.

Those HMP and HM irons are super long but the spin numbers were still excellent. That’s really tough to beat.

Those HMP and HM irons are super long but the spin numbers were still excellent. That’s really tough to beat.

Not sure where the phrases "Pro" vs. "Forged" falls in terms of what is more internet golfer appropriate. That might be the deciding factor for me.

Without having hit these yet and just based on looks, these are the only line that have a chance of changing my decision of going with the Hogans.

Im going to give these some more time in the tech studio tomorrow.

Without having hit these yet and just based on looks, these are the only line that have a chance of changing my decision of going with the Hogans.

I've got the PTx Pro's now, which I love to be honest. Thinking the HMP might kick them out of the bag though. From a performance perspective, I'd love the addtional distance(the Hogan are lofted the same as the Mizzy Tour's) the HMP would offer I just have to see them first to make sure I love the profile. To me, the Hogan have the PERFECT profile at address. Ok maybe a touch less offset.

Just a great review Dan. Really like the hot metals as that’s what I had before and would play again. Mizuno just nailed this release again

Based on what I've read and this video, I think I'd lean towards a full set of the forged. Maybe sprinkle in a HMP 4 iron.

I'd be curious to see a full set of the forged to see each iron size and shaping etc. though.

Im going to give these some more time in the tech studio tomorrow.
From everything I’ve read there isn’t much of a difference in feel from the hot metal & pro to the forged. Can you please provide a little feedback on your experience when you get a chance?

The HMP seems to be the sweet spot unless offset is needed.

Playing Apex CF19's. Which one would be comparable to that as far as the head size goes?

Really great Video Dan, from the data you saw the HMP seems to be where I need to start. The Forged have potential and of course being forged is a plus but I have been spoiled with a bit less loft on the TR20P and the distance that gives me so unless I am just wowed beyond believe with the others for some reason the HMP is the one to beat.

I must have passed over it in the beginning but were they all shafted alike?

I'm thinking 921F 5-PW and a HMP 4i.
Similar to how i did my 0311P. I bought the 4i XF.

Really great Video Dan, from the data you saw the HMP seems to be where I need to start. The Forged have potential and of course being forged is a plus but I have been spoiled with a bit less loft on the TR20P and the distance that gives me so unless I am just wowed beyond believe with the others for some reason the HMP is the one to beat.

I must have passed over it in the beginning but were they all shafted alike?
Relatively close profiles, yes.

Curious about the forged PW (and shorter irons). Those are clubs where I like a nice thin top line, smaller profile and softer feel off the face for around the green. Any address pics of the PW? Thoughts? I am guessing I will only be able to hit and see the fitting 7i heads, likely this week.

I may be the minority here but to me the 921HMP is a step back from the 919HMP. From early reviews, it seems the new HMP is longer but spin is lowered.
To me the HMP is already a distance iron. Would I want to add more distance to an already good distance iron at the cost of spin? Simple answer: No

They'll appeal to those who can never have enough distance, but for me I don't want to go farther than what the 919HMP already gives me and certainly not at a reduction in spin.

Where I see it advantageous is in split sets with the 921HMP 4i/5i where control is of a lesser concern than distance.

I may be the minority here but to me the 921HMP is a step back from the 919HMP. From early reviews, it seems the new HMP is longer but spin is lowered.
To me the HMP is already a distance iron. Would I want to add more distance to an already good distance iron at the cost of spin? Simple answer: No

They'll appeal to those who can never have enough distance, but for me I don't want to go farther than what the 919HMP already gives me and certainly not at a reduction in spin.

Where I see it advantageous is in split sets with the 921HMP 4i/5i where control is of a lesser concern than distance.
What do you mean the spin was lowered?

Back