Single Plane swing anyone?

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
myself
I have been reading up on it and checking out Todd Graves YT channel. I like most everyone else just want to be consistent and I am going to make a change this off season. I have shortened my back swing and that is definitely helping but still want more.

Just curious if anyone else has gone to a single plane swing???

There has to be someone on THP that has tried it??

I don’t do that exact swing but that’s the feel I basically have when I swing the club. There’s a Mark Crossfield video out there about wrist hinge that really changed my game.

I looked into it, because I thought it might take strain off some bad body parts. I incorporate some of the ideas in my current swing, but the hand position at address and the initial takeaway doesn't work for me, and I literally CANNOT keep my right heel down and hit the ball. At least not hit it well. I like the theory behind it though.

My swing is very much like the single plane except not as far out as I don't have the best control when I am fully extended out. No doubt much easier on the body.

I believe the proper question should be : "Of those who have tried this swing, how many have continued with it?"

I looked into it, because I thought it might take strain off some bad body parts. I incorporate some of the ideas in my current swing, but the hand position at address and the initial takeaway doesn't work for me, and I literally CANNOT keep my right heel down and hit the ball. At least not hit it well. I like the theory behind it though.
like many things I have tried from time to time, it offers much in the way of consistency. It does give me a solid base to swing from. I have no trouble in keeping the right heel down at impact plus I seem to be able to get up on my trail foot easily "after" impact as it just naturally occurs as the body shifts. The trouble with it is, that after awhile, I always seem to revert back to my normal swing. It does feel a bit strange at first, but I am sure that the longer you commit to it, the easier it becomes natural. I had excellent results, albeit "fleeting". The things missing from the video are the actual parts that Moe Norman used to in corporate from the extreme heaviness of his club, type of grip (akin to baseball grip), the distance he placed the club head behind the ball, the hovering. These things might not be relevant to someone wishing to mimic his swing, but are things that worked FOR MOE. I could almost say : "Senator, I knew Moe Norman, I watched Moe Norman swing, and Sir, you are not a Moe Norman".

I could almost say : "Senator, I knew Moe Norman, I watched Moe Norman swing, and Sir, you are not a Moe Norman".
I am going to try to make the switch this winter. I have started to incorporate certain aspects and I am finding good results. Mostly shortening my backswing. Its a interesting concept how he sets up in the impact position at setup.

Not expecting to become a good golfer just a more consistent one. but getting down into the low 90's or high 80's if def possible with some consistency and decent ball striking.

Last edited:
another thing I've experienced with this swing is it seems harder to shape shots. It works okay for "straight" but not so well for intentional draw or cut shot. Probably because I have not learned enough about it.

another thing I've experienced with this swing is it seems harder to shape shots. It works okay for "straight" but not so well for intentional draw or cut shot. Probably because I have not learned enough about it.
That's ok I am very happy with Straight!!!

One tthing that is different with Bryson than Moe Norman is Bryson doesn't straighten his legs like MN did.

Last edited:
I am going to try to make the switch this winter. I have started to incorporate certain aspects and I am finding good results. Mostly shortening my backswing. Its a interesting concept how he sets up in the impact position at setup.

Not expecting to become a good golfer just a more consistent one. but getting down into the low 90's or high 80's if def possible with some consistency and decent ball striking.
Hope it works out for you. Learning the arm part is easy as the wrists work backwards and forwards. There is none or very little thumbs up (radial deviation) wrist break. The problem you will encounter is the weight of the head on the shaft making the club really heavy on the backswing and during transition from backswing to downswing (when the clubhead is moving it's slowest). Consequently this method requires a body pivot and turn similar to Bryson's and strength to counter the weight of the club when the arms and wrists are at their weakest.
If you think you can handle that then give it a go.

I feel a 1-plane swing has merit. There was a an instructor at a Golftec I went to a while back (think pre-Elin's 8-iron) who taught it. He wasn't my instructor, but it's tough to find them. I think *usually* going to 1-plane is a reaction to a core swing issue. Same with Stack N Tilt over a Ballard-type swing.

Also, anyone remember this?

1-16.jpg

This made me think of when I was out on the range one day and guy near me said, "Moe Norman swing?" I had not really thought much about it, but my swing must be a bit similar in more ways than I realize, yet to me, it does not seem that way much. I will add that when I swing more like Moe, my ball strikes and aim are far better than any other swing I attempt.

Hope it works out for you. Learning the arm part is easy as the wrists work backwards and forwards. There is none or very little thumbs up (radial deviation) wrist break. The problem you will encounter is the weight of the head on the shaft making the club really heavy on the backswing and during transition from backswing to downswing (when the clubhead is moving it's slowest). Consequently this method requires a body pivot and turn similar to Bryson's and strength to counter the weight of the club when the arms and wrists are at their weakest.
If you think you can handle that then give it a go.
Thanks It will be interesting but It at least gives me a focus for the off season to improve. I really would like to become more consistent.

That's one of my pet peeves. Too many modern day instructors focus on one thing and make it a career or niche thing touting it as the "one thing" that will improve your swing. Seems as though every day hackers are looking for some magic cure. "There is nothing new under the Sun............."

That's one of my pet peeves. Too many modern day instructors focus on one thing and make it a career or niche thing touting it as the "one thing" that will improve your swing. Seems as though every day hackers are looking for some magic cure. "There is nothing new under the Sun............."

Not looking for a magic cure just a more consistent swing and I already play One Length irons so why not try it.

I keep looking at the Todd graves academy and if I can figure out the time might just give it a shot.

wasn't referring to you personally, just the fact that so many young guns (and some not so young) trying to cash in on gimmicky instruction trying to set themselves apart. Graves method has helped many I am sure, so why not try it? If it works for you...well, it does.

wasn't referring to you personally, just the fact that so many young guns (and some not so young) trying to cash in on gimmicky instruction trying to set themselves apart. Graves method has helped many I am sure, so why not try it? If it works for you...well, it does.
I didn't take it that way, No worries. I think that too many people jump around from 1 instructor to another hoping for a quick fix and there are rarely many quick fixes that don't break something else.

Youtube probably doesn't help with all the swing gurus on there.

The single plane swing made me think of my best day ever with the driver and I was using a single plane swing that day. I hit all but one fairway that day and had the most consistent driver distances on a round this entire year.

Maybe I should of paid more attention to that since. :D Since then my driver has not be cooperating the best and I noticed lately I have been letting my arms come down more from the single plane than I did that day.

1598892302104.png

yah, it is nice to have a "fall back" thing when all seems to fall apart.

@PatsFan now you've dunnit......ever since you reminded me of this and recalling that I had used it in the past, I can't stop. Its just like eating Fritos. "just when I thought I was out....they keep draggin me back in".

Back