The Club Champion Putter Fitting

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When the world of golf equipment collides with the idea of playing better, few things come to mind quite like the putter. Far too often the putter is labeled as personal or personal preference. What if the idea existed that looking down on something you love style wise, could coincide with science to make you more efficient?

Good news, it does. It takes very little time, and now it is pretty darn affordable. For years, the best players in the world used fitting as a tool to marry their equipment to their game to be more efficient. Few areas are more important than that of the putter and the fitting might be much easier than you think.

Rather than go on and on about the science behind it, I wanted to share a personal journey of my putter fitting and the impact it had, while still sharing some of the technology that makes it unique. Before diving into that, let's start with a few questions.

Continue reading...

Good read @JB. We talked about this while I was there for my iron fitting. I tried several putters that caught my eye, all the same type, but they were all very different for my stroke.

Reactions: JB
Looks like a very informative process and will probably help you select better putters going forward.

I talk to @Jeff Spicoli about doing this on a regular basis but since I just picked up a super sweet Scotty from @fairwaynut it looks like I’m going to continue doing things the hard way.

Last edited:
A very nice read. Super interesting seeing the SAM data, and a nice detailed rundown of the process.

I’d second the recommendation for a Club Champion putter fitting. I did one as part of a full bag fitting.

For me, it was getting confirmation that one of my putters was set up perfectly for me. I’d been deciding between a few that I picked up over the years. We went through the results, showed why it was objectively just about perfect for me. It’s been nice to have that confidence in a piece of equipment on the green, so you’re not second guessing fit, etc.

Great article @JB

Reactions: JB
Love the article @JB. I've had fittings for every other club in the bag except the putter and it gets the most use. This is something I definitely need to do in the near future.

• Admin
Love the article @JB. I've had fittings for every other club in the bag except the putter and it gets the most use. This is something I definitely need to do in the near future.

Thank you. Their current promotion kicking off is a good one.

Great artile and something I fully support. When I did the full bag fitting at Club Champion, the PuttLabs fitting only took 30 minutes but it opened my eyes to some information I had never really thought of before with the putter. I don't know why I never thought about it. I did with the driver and with irons. Always had a bit of a "find a putter that feels good and make it work" mentality with the putter. Boy was I wrong. Although the entire fitting was great, it was the SAM analysis that blew my mind.

Very interesting, lots of data but not overwhelmingly so.

Very cool read!
So did I miss something or what kind of putter and or specs did you go with?
One of the images shows outside in stroke, basically cutting across the ball, is it all about a fitting or what do they do about a persons stroke?

Very cool read!
So did I miss something or what kind of putter and or specs did you go with?
One of the images shows outside in stroke, basically cutting across the ball, is it all about a fitting or what do they do about a persons stroke?

I had a few options based on how I deliver the head. Then the loft, where I needed to get my launch down slightly going from 3.4 to closer to 2.
A lot of different options and we tested a number of choices. This is really where feel came into play. At the fitting, I was fit into an Odyssey Marxman, but could have been a number of different choices.

Good read. I watched a bit of a putter fitting at Club Champion once, while I was waiting for my iron fitting, it certainly got my interest.

Excellent read this morning, this is something I always wanted to do but I do have one fear...what if I've been doing it wrong this whole time? Will it render my putter collection useless? :ROFLMAO:

Excellent read this morning, this is something I always wanted to do but I do have one fear...what if I've been doing it wrong this whole time? Will it render my putter collection useless? :ROFLMAO:
It was definitely eye opening. From a style stand point, I expected change and it was pretty close already. The loft was eye opening and could explain why I was leaving so much short.

It was definitely eye opening. From a style stand point, I expected change and it was pretty close already. The loft was eye opening and could explain why I was leaving so much short.
Interesting. I still remember that putt you left like 10ft short at the Hideaway when @JasonFinleyCG busted out laughing.

Few areas are more important than that of the putter and the fitting might be much easier than you think.
I went through a putter fitting at Club Champion a year or two ago. Really easy and great feedback. People underestimate that you need the right type of putter to fit your stoke. What I also got out of it for me was that I had way to much loft on my putter so now all of my putters have been bent to the appropriate loft. Much smoother roll.

@JB I see that your putter came into the ball with the toe up 4.2* ... did it start out flat? You weren't adjusted for lie angle at all?

The best thing I ever did was get a putter fitting with Club Champion. Changed my putting and gave me so much insight into my stroke and the type of putter that will help me putt my best.

@JB I see that your putter came into the ball with the toe up 4.2* ... did it start out flat? You weren't adjusted for lie angle at all?

Some of the SamPutt Lab screens are samples rather than mine. Done to show how much variance can be in place.

Some of the SamPutt Lab screens are samples rather than mine. Done to show how much variance can be in place.
Ahh ... but you were not adjusted for lie at all? I know the length would help with that but still

Ahh ... but you were not adjusted for lie at all? I know the length would help with that but still

My lie angle was pretty spot on, putter dependent. One or two of those tested, would have needed a 1 degree change, but what I ended up with stayed at standard for lie angle.

This was the biggest thing for me. Adjusting my loft was a game changer and helped me maintain a smooth stroke regardless of distance.

Back