Does anyone know why Ping does the extremely flat FW sole design? There has to be a (physics) reason. Are the fairways more forgiving off low heel and toe strikes because there is more face down there? I do happen to miss my fairways low on the heel side periodically. And it's often a "catastrophic miss" - a worm burner to the left junk about 80 yards. It might honestly be my single worst miss/tendency throughout my entire bag.

Isn't it easier to add spin with either a shaft change or increasing the loft than it is to lower spin (while still keeping the carry up)?

for me, the easiest (and cheapest) way to change spin profile is with a ball change. then a head change (including moving weights and/or loft). then a shaft change.

i'm not sure that it's easier to add spin than it is to knock spin off. i'd think changes would be somewhat the same all else held equal.

Just dumped an underperforming G410 for a Titleist S3 and to me it seems Ping might be going too gimmicky?

By the time these come out the G435’s will be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping horrible costumer customer service vs Callaway or Titleist which may Not be perfect but is

superior

I've only had one interaction with ping customer service several years ago, and back then it was pretty bad. sorry to hear you had a bad experience. as far as their current clubs being too gimmicky, i'd disagree with that. a lot of love on tour and in amateur bags for recent ping driver releases.

never needed their customer service thankfully - and after playing many different irons for the past 30 years I can say Ping always produce some of the very best. And we all know what they say about OPINIONS.

Maybe I was too hard on Ping - I can promote a shop called Golfdom that let me swap the underperforming G410 plus out for a Titliest S3 and maybe it is just the shaft change ended up with that KuroKage 50 G and at my age of 62 in Regular flex getting much better ball flight and better distance and lot better dispersion. Maybe could just never get used to the look or feel of the Ping as I did hit some bombs with it if I caught it just right.

Maybe I was too hard on Ping - I can promote a shop called Golfdom that let me swap the underperforming G410 plus out for a Titliest S3 and maybe it is just the shaft change ended up with that KuroKage 50 G and at my age of 62 in Regular flex getting much better ball flight and better distance and lot better dispersion. Maybe could just never get used to the look or feel of the Ping as I did hit some bombs with it if I caught it just right.
Maybe I should say at my age “relative bombs” as cannot put it out there like my son who can drive short par 4s.

I just bought the G410 Plus this season and I love it so I'm definitely not looking to buy this anytime soon. That said, can't wait to see the reviews. I don't hate the black/grey colorway, but I like the red/black of the 410 better 🤷‍♂️. Glad I got what I have.

I just watched a review of the drivers and getting to see them from a looking down on the ball view, they're a definite pass for me. Which sucks. I don't know why Ping refuses to move on from the turbulators. They're so dug in on it. I would have owned the 410 lst, and given this one a shot too, if they didn't look ridiculous. This one is gorgeous underneath, still a child's toy on top. So frustrating.

Last edited:
I just watched a review of the drivers and getting to see them from a looking down on the ball view, they're a definite pass for me. Which sucks. I don't know why Ping refuses to move on from the turbulators. They're so dug in on it. I would have owned the 410 lst, and given this one a shot too, if they didn't look ridiculous. This one is gorgeous underneath, still a child's toy on top. So frustrating.

That's too bad. Guess I'm accustomed to weird club clubs - I played the Cleveland VAS irons in the late 90's and the Nike SQ in the early 00's. Have no issues with the G400 driver series, even with Turbulators. The 410 - did not like the setup for some reason. The matte finish helps a bit. Still gaming the G400 Max and will give the 425 a shot when released.

That's too bad. Guess I'm accustomed to weird club clubs - I played the Cleveland VAS irons in the late 90's and the Nike SQ in the early 00's. Have no issues with the G400 driver series, even with Turbulators. The 410 - did not like the setup for some reason. The matte finish helps a bit. Still gaming the G400 Max and will give the 425 a shot when released.
I doNt even notice them and the matte is a major plus

I doNt even notice them and the matte is a major plus

I've seen them for 3 yrs so I think of them as being there to help. I've accepted their presence. And it's a club that you play off a tee, so it does not detrimentally affect playability but exists to enhance the driving experience. :cool:

Ugh. I'm so annoyed right now. They're great drivers. I really like hitting them. It would take next level benefits over other drivers for me to even try to get past the Mad Max video game/tread plate visual nonsense though. Every review mentions those damn turbulators, and almost always negatively. I don't get it. It costs them money. I've never been as angry or against them as other people I know, but I want to like this one. It's just a non-starter for me with that look.

Ugh. I'm so annoyed right now. They're great drivers. I really like hitting them. It would take next level benefits over other drivers for me to even try to get past the Mad Max video game/tread plate visual nonsense though. Every review mentions those damn turbulators, and almost always negatively. I don't get it. It costs them money. I've never been as angry or against them as other people I know, but I want to like this one. It's just a non-starter for me with that look.

It's done to break up the resistance to the club on the downswing. I do not know if it only helps at a certain swingspeed but they are there. I just changed my mindset about it.

I guess to me if it looks like a golf club it is a golf club. If it helps me play better I'll use it.

The way people think tubulators are a non starter on a club seems comparable to a girl with a unibrow. She might have a great personality (really performs well) but the unibrow (turbulators) just doesn't turn you on. You might secretly really like the Ping driver and occasionally see it on the down low so your other driver doesn't find out. However, you think your friends will make fun of you endlessly because of her turbulators (unibrow) if you decide to make it your permanent driver. Your current driver might be prettier than the Ping driver but maybe the Ping might just make you happier in the long run.

i'm not sure if we can be friends anymore

a video was released for this today. i've watched this guy hit lots of clubs since subscribing to his channel. i can't remember him hitting a driver with a sound i didn't like. but if it's any indication, i did not like the sound of the any of the g425 lineup when he was hitting it. my only complaint with the 400 max when i gamed it was the sound. it was, well, not good. i was interested to see whether ping would improve on the sound with the 425 max, and early indications are less than thrilling for me. i'll probably still try it, but the sound definitely stood out to me.

a video was released for this today. i've watched this guy hit lots of clubs since subscribing to his channel. i can't remember him hitting a driver with a sound i didn't like. but if it's any indication, i did not like the sound of the any of the g425 lineup when he was hitting it. my only complaint with the 400 max when i gamed it was the sound. it was, well, not good. i was interested to see whether ping would improve on the sound with the 425 max, and early indications are less than thrilling for me. i'll probably still try it, but the sound definitely stood out to me.

Yes, the Max needs some sound bars... :)

Back