TaylorMade Releases Spider FCG Putter

This is totally a Cleveland Frontline.

Thanks for the review. Now it all makes sense. That is, yesterday's banter in the Elevado thread. Since I already have the original (the Frontline Elevado), and it's an outstanding putter, I don't think I need to try the imitation.

This kinda goes back to the question I asked before. You call this reactionary, which it may be, I am not sure. Is it a trend and new technology that shows improvement and that you will see others do as well? Or just a blatant rip of? I am not sure the answer.

To me if a technology or process shows a benefit, it would be foolish to not implement it in some way.

This kinda goes back to the question I asked before. You call this reactionary, which it may be, I am not sure. Is it a trend and new technology that shows improvement and that you will see others do as well? Or just a blatant rip of? I am not sure the answer.

To me if a technology or process shows a benefit, it would be foolish to not implement it in some way.

I agree with this. I think part of it is TaylorMade has been known for over a decade as an innovator. They were extremely tech heavy and leading in a lot of ways to many of the things we saw. Now at the time they had a different crew and much of them have gone on to Cobra, Callaway and Titleist, but they were always at the forefront or at least on the surface.

Currently in each of their categories, they are following technology that exists. In irons, it was PXG (now Mizuno), in woods it was Cobra, in wedges it was Callaway and now in putters it is Cleveland. On the surface anyway, based solely on their messaging they choose to use.

With that said it certainly doesn't take away from the performance or even bettering something that exists if people find that with performance. To me it is more about the way its told, rather than what it is. It kind of reminds me of the player like Jordan Spieth that dominates so much so soon, when they dont dominate you think WTF? Hopefully that makes sense.

So actual MOI number isn’t high, but it feels more stable just based on the size/shape?Am I getting that right?
Never said that. The MOI will be higher than a blade by a large shot based on shape alone, but not as high as a totally perimeter weighted non forward design. TM didn’t give the number because, imo, the number isn’t important as it pertains to a design like this. We saw the same with the Cleveland Frontline putters this takes the design from.

Like the looks and the sounds of the tech. Don't believe I have ever tried a forward CG putter. The copper face insert sounds like a great feature as well.

I agree with this. I think part of it is TaylorMade has been known for over a decade as an innovator. They were extremely tech heavy and leading in a lot of ways to many of the things we saw. Now at the time they had a different crew and much of them have gone on to Cobra, Callaway and Titleist, but they were always at the forefront or at least on the surface.

Currently in each of their categories, they are following technology that exists. In irons, it was PXG (now Mizuno), in woods it was Cobra, in wedges it was Callaway and now in putters it is Cleveland. On the surface anyway, based solely on their messaging they choose to use.

With that said it certainly doesn't take away from the performance or even bettering something that exists if people find that with performance. To me it is more about the way its told, rather than what it is. It kind of reminds me of the player like Jordan Spieth that dominates so much so soon, when they dont dominate you think WTF? Hopefully that makes sense.

Totally. I think we are completely on the same page.

I think in many ways this parallels your thoughts on Bryson. He gets bashed and others get praised. Why? well, the reasons you have mentioned.

Well. It’s better looking than the truss...
That's setting the bar pretty low. A busted blister is better looking than the Truss. :LOL:

Great information James. I play the other competitors forward weighted putter and it's interesting to see TM copy the idea. I do think the other competitor's putter is much better looking personally

Great information James. I play the other competitors forward weighted putter and it's interesting to see TM copy the idea. I do think the other competitor's putter is much better looking personally
No need to be bashful, you play the Cleveland Frontline. Nothing wrong with saying that.;)

My take is simple, I think this is 1000% reactionary to the fact that Cleveland CLEARLY has something with the forward CG, and TM believes it so much theyre jumping in. If it brings more eyes to the concept then that’s a win because frankly it deserves more buzz.

But if I’m Cleveland right Now I’m having a field day with this.

I really like the looks of this putter. Best of both worlds for me. I love the look and confidence it brings but the feel of the blade is lacking.

I've liked TM putters in the past so I'll probably hit at least a few putts when I see it in store.

I've been waiting for TM to tidy up the Spider .... and this they have done. So I will be a buyer because it is finally a Spider that suits my eye...and my 47 other putters need a new friend.

It looks a bit awkward to me compared to other mallets but if it performed I could get over that real quick.

I really like the look of this putter and can’t wait to roll it. If it’s anywhere near as good as MySpider x has been for me I will most likely buy it

Axis1 putters have forward CG, and have been around for a decade and a half. The CG is actually on the front of the face and inline with the axis of the shaft. That's the reason they have the forward heel counterweight, which many find too ugly or distracting. I find it very effective.

Rolled this today. Not a fan. Copper insert felt good but definitely firmer than Spider X and S. I’m sure Forward CG has merit and works for some but it’s not for me. Didn’t like it in the frontline and don’t like it here either. Balance point just seems us off for me. Size wise it’s very comparable to spider mini. Maybe a touch larger.

9F075D8E-4E58-4194-B56D-0C1938FC8849.jpeg

Rolled this today. Not a fan. Copper insert felt good but definitely firmer than Spider X and S. I’m sure Forward CG has merit and works for some but it’s not for me. Didn’t like it in the frontline and don’t like it here either. Balance point just seems us off for me. Size wise it’s very comparable to spider mini. Maybe a touch larger.

View attachment 8961996
I rolled this today and I agree. I am not a fan. The head feels weird. I would say it feels hard.. firm feeling is a good thing to me. This is not that. The ping heppler putters feel firm and pleasant. This feels hard.

it also feel squirrelly. I felt that the face didn’t want to stay square at all. The Cleveland frontline putter are better. The feel solid and stable. I felt like this letter was all over the place..

I rolled this today and I agree. I am not a fan. The head feels weird. I would say it feels hard.. firm feeling is a good thing to me. This is not that. The ping heppler putters feel firm and pleasant. This feels hard.

it also feel squirrelly. I felt that the face didn’t want to stay square at all. The Cleveland frontline putter are better. The feel solid and stable. I felt like this letter was all over the place..

i rolled the tomcat f14 a few times while waiting for a driver re-shaft....i liked it enough to ponder it but i am not sure i like it enough that it would replace the elevado. but you can never have enough putters, can you?

Back