Tour Championship: match play format

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So lots of people don't like the low net championship to finish the season, what about a huge revamp?

Top 40 get to the Tour Championship

Top 8 get a bye to 3rd round of play plus another bonus:

Thursday: 9-40 play seeded match play
Friday: Winners of Thursday play seeded match play
Saturday: Top 7 who had byes get to choose their opponents from those who won Friday in order (number 1 chooses 1st, then 2 , then 3 etc, 8 gets whoever is left on the "playground". Seeding goes by 1-8, so if the number 1 seed loses, their opponent would play the winner of the 8 match up.

I would do this live on TV with it being like an NFL green room so you see reactions. I would also provide copious amounts of free alcohol for an hour or 2 before they make their selections.

Sunday: final 4
Monday: Final round with someone dragging a wheelbarrow filled with the $15 million (or whatever the prize is at that point).

I would reduce payouts for all but the winner, and if possible to have this in Vegas at night, under lights in prime time would be even better, but that might be a pipe dream.

Gives the low 8 a benefit and a bonus further to those who finish higher. You can win from the 9-32 but have to win 5 rounds...

Thoughts, suggestions, other options?

Last edited:
I like it. It gives a very good incentive to get into the top 8, and it also preserves those players to the weekend, which is always a concern with match play.

I like it. It gives a very good incentive to get into the top 8, and it also preserves those players to the weekend, which is always a concern with match play.

Yeah, I am sure there are plenty of issues, but trying to find a format that rewards the top performers, gives a true winner and provides legit drama to the event.

Only thing I would change is make the top 8 choosing part Friday night so the Final is on Sunday afternoon.

I had a similar ponder on a similar format.

Yeah, I am sure there are plenty of issues, but trying to find a format that rewards the top performers, gives a true winner and provides legit drama to the event.
There are issues no matter what you do. I think there should be more match play in general.

Only thing I would change is make the top 8 choosing part Friday night so the Final is on Sunday afternoon.

Probably wasn't clear but the selection would be Friday night after play finished. The tour seems to like the monday finish, but going 2 rounds on sunday is fine with me.

We won't see this go to match play. Hell, they altered the match play event we already had because they had a few years of the stars going home early as it is. TV execs don't want to have the final round of the Tour Championship coming down to 18 holes of match play with Lanto Griffin vs Mackenzie Hughes.

i don't like match play to see who wins, since they don't play that all year long. i would like to see something different then what they are doing now but i don't know what it should be

We won't see this go to match play. Hell, they altered the match play event we already had because they had a few years of the stars going home early as it is. TV execs don't want to have the final round of the Tour Championship coming down to 18 holes of match play with Lanto Griffin vs Mackenzie Hughes.
Match play is awesome at the Ryder Cup and it sounds awesome in theory until you see what the actual matches turn out to be. Then it sucks. We all love the Cinderella teams in March Mardness, but we still want Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky type teams in the Final Four.

Something should be done. I'm not sure if I like the top 8 getting a bye though. It could hurt them by letting them skip... not enough time to learn the course so to say...

Mix it up and have the top guys go out first instead of last... #1, 2, and 3 rankings go out with the first tee time instead of the normal final group maybe.

Match play is awesome at the Ryder Cup and it sounds awesome in theory until you see what the actual matches turn out to be. Then it sucks. We all love the Cinderella teams in March Mardness, but we still want Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky type teams in the Final Four.

It works at the Ryder Cup, because we know who is playing who. Yes the pairings are drawn out of a hat so to speak, but we know who all we're gonna see that weekend.

Back