Review Axis1 Rose Putter Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
If you have kept up with putters since 2006, then odds are you have seen or heard about Axis1. More than likely, the aesthetic is what caught your attention. In order to create a putter which founder Luis Pedraza believed to be ideally balanced, the focus was on function above form. As time has gone, Axis1 has had success on Tour’s across the globe and as is natural, they have evolved their designs. When Justin Rose came to Axis1 with the desire for them to implement their design into a #7 shape, the challenge was accepted, and the Axis1 Rose was born.

Quick Take
Maybe the most unique hosel design in all of putters, and while it might not win all of the beauty pageants, there is no denying the heel counterweight creates one of the most stable putters throughout the stroke. The Axis1 Rose is a unique application of design onto one of the most popular putter shapes of all time with consistency being the name of the game.

Continue reading...

Enjoyed this article and it is a really unique putter.
Having spent some time with it, the adjustment is much easier than I expected.

Solid write up that makes me really think this could be a great thing. Some of the best innovation is unique so it’s worth moving past the looks. The one thing I didn’t fully realize until I saw your photos was just how forward that hosel sits in front of the face. Now I’m worried about the dreaded S word with a putter.

Great review! I’m not sure I’ve even seen a toe up putter in person. Need to get to a retail store and roll one! Rose’s putting has been absolutely ridiculous a few rounds this year, so I think maybe he and the folks at Axis1 are onto something!

Excellent review James. Very interesting tech story that sounds like it definitely works. Have always been intrigued by the toe up balancing but have never had the opportunity to try a putter weighted that way.

Great write up, as usual, @Jman. I rolled one last year at the local PGA Superstore. For some reason, I just couldn’t make it work for me. It could well have been the day.

• Staff
Solid write up that makes me really think this could be a great thing. Some of the best innovation is unique so it’s worth moving past the looks. The one thing I didn’t fully realize until I saw your photos was just how forward that hosel sits in front of the face. Now I’m worried about the dreaded S word with a putter.
To be fair, if someone truly shanks a putter, they need to take up another pastime.

It’s a radically different look, we are used to full offset putters, but it’s the weight spud being forward that makes it so foreign. I mentioned in the review that I don’t think it ever just “goes away” truly for the user, but you do acclimate and accept it. The thing just wants to do nothing but stay square through the stroke, and that’s definitely doing to catch some interest, or should.

To be fair, if someone truly shanks a putter, they need to take up another pastime.

It’s a radically different look, we are used to full offset putters, but it’s the weight spud being forward that makes it so foreign. I mentioned in the review that I don’t think it ever just “goes away” truly for the user, but you do acclimate and accept it. The thing just wants to do nothing but stay square through the stroke, and that’s definitely doing to catch some interest, or should.
I’m definitely interested in trying one and I’m going to seek out out (even if it means waiting until a DFW trip). But I’ve been know. To deliver the heel closer to the ball as I approach impact if I’m being super mechanical and tense. It’s rare but I’d be lying if I said I couldn’t hit it once a year.

• Staff
I’m definitely interested in trying one and I’m going to seek out out (even if it means waiting until a DFW trip). But I’ve been know. To deliver the heel closer to the ball as I approach impact if I’m being super mechanical and tense. It’s rare but I’d be lying if I said I couldn’t hit it once a year.
Unless you’re having a full body spasm mid stroke :ROFLMAO:, you’re overestimating the placement of the hosel and how much space is actually there in relation to the face.

4607A24E-B0B8-4A62-8E3D-8C7D3057F169.jpeg

Unless you’re having a full body spasm mid stroke :ROFLMAO:, you’re overestimating the placement of the hosel and how much space is actually there in relation to the face.

View attachment 8962734
Where there is a will (and a bad putting stroke) there is a way. But I’ll hand it to you, it looks like there is plenty of room

Look at the big brain on @Jman ! Quoting Shakespeare! Do you know what the purpose of this milled line is? It runs parallel to the hosel.
CC46ED1D-A177-4F8B-A424-C924098AA4A2.png

Where there is a will (and a bad putting stroke) there is a way. But I’ll hand it to you, it looks like there is plenty of room
Think of it this way....The patented heel counter weight is there for a reason. Keeps the heel/toe square to your path. There is not as much heel/toe play with the putter. Less timing involved. The heel counter weight also allows us to be the ONLY company in golf to put the CG on the center of the striking face and in-line with the Axis of the shaft. Having fit a wide range of players...PGA Tour thru HIGH handicappers into our putters...you'd have to really not be paying attention to what you are doing to ever shank this or any of our putters.

If you like the Rose, you’re going to love the newest model, Tour HM ! I gamed the Rose last year and it did take time to adjust to the look at address. The Tour HM was love at first roll. Axis1 has improved a very good thing!

Interesting and nice writ eup

If you like the Rose, you’re going to love the newest model, Tour HM ! I gamed the Rose last year and it did take time to adjust to the look at address. The Tour HM was love at first roll. Axis1 has improved a very good thing!
I know this review is about our Rose model... but our tech transfers through the entire line. It's your preferred shape at that point. JR, as JMan perfectly illustrated in his review, had an affinity to the shape of his previous model...hence the development of the Rose Model.

This putter always brings me back to the age old equipment question. If something works better, do the looks matter? For me this doesn't look bad in hand, so it is a non-issue, but will golfers pick it up and give it a chance based on the looks?

We hear in all of these threads that "I would use a brick on a stick if it made more putts". Yet we rarely move out of our comfort zones to test that theory.

This putter always brings me back to the age old equipment question. If something works better, do the looks matter? For me this doesn't look bad in hand, so it is a non-issue, but will golfers pick it up and give it a chance based on the looks?

We hear in all of these threads that "I would use a brick on a stick if it made more putts". Yet we rarely move out of our comfort zones to test that theory.
It’s the age old conundrum.

What I like is that Axis1 has recognized there has to be SOME of both, so they found a way to take their extremely function based design and take it from a truly abstract look, which the blade was, and marry it with some form.

I truly came away very impressed with the quality and finish going on here materials wise. They did well here, I truly believe that.

Now, how do you get people to try it? Because that is always the biggest key.

Some face balanced MOI designs I notice the grip pressure keeps the face square.
If you set some of them on the ground, w/ the weight back makes them want to open up as they sit on the ground or you loosen grip pressure.
Does the weighting on this make it sit and hang square as well, and not "open up" like some MOI mallets? Sounds like it?
The hosel would take some getting used to for me, but if it worked, that would be short-lived.

I know there is a tech story involved here, but man, pretty darn spendy once again for a 303ss putter. (Material du jour it seems, along with aluminum.)
Do the pros get tee up money to play these?

Some face balanced MOI designs I notice the grip pressure keeps the face square.
If you set some of them on the ground, w/ the weight back makes them want to open up as they sit on the ground or you loosen grip pressure.
Does the weighting on this make it sit and hang square as well, and not "open up" like some MOI mallets? Sounds like it?
The hosel would take some getting used to for me, but if it worked, that would be short-lived.

I know there is a tech story involved here, but man, pretty darn spendy once again for a 303ss putter. (Material du jour it seems, along with aluminum.)
Do the pros get tee up money to play these?
It sits dead square at address when soled.

It’s the age old conundrum.

What I like is that Axis1 has recognized there has to be SOME of both, so they found a way to take their extremely function based design and take it from a truly abstract look, which the blade was, and marry it with some form.

I truly came away very impressed with the quality and finish going on here materials wise. They did well here, I truly believe that.

Now, how do you get people to try it? Because that is always the biggest key.

I think with anything new and different, some golfers have already made up their minds.
See hybrids
See graphite shafts
See things like Triple Track, etc.
See Bryson

There are enough out there that want something that works and might even be a little different.

I think with anything new and different, some golfers have already made up their minds.
See hybrids
See graphite shafts
See things like Triple Track, etc.
See Bryson

There are enough out there that want something that works and might even be a little different.
For sure, they key is getting it into hands, with a 400.00+ that can be a bit difficult when the design is so patently different (hosel specifically here). It’s why I think what they’ve done with the aesthetic and shape is going to pay off for them, I think truly that these would surprise a great deal of people.

Great review. This one is more pleasing to the eyes than a few earlier ones, imo

Honestly, no. The F9 irons taught me that. Low score wins.

Back