Review Axis1 Rose Putter Review

I think with anything new and different, some golfers have already made up their minds.
See hybrids
See graphite shafts
See things like Triple Track, etc.
See Bryson

There are enough out there that want something that works and might even be a little different.
You forgot one. Truss putters... :cool:

Some face balanced MOI designs I notice the grip pressure keeps the face square.
If you set some of them on the ground, w/ the weight back makes them want to open up as they sit on the ground or you loosen grip pressure.
Does the weighting on this make it sit and hang square as well, and not "open up" like some MOI mallets? Sounds like it?
The hosel would take some getting used to for me, but if it worked, that would be short-lived.

I know there is a tech story involved here, but man, pretty darn spendy once again for a 303ss putter. (Material du jour it seems, along with aluminum.)
Do the pros get tee up money to play these?

Hi BB,

Great questions.

As far as the former goes. Jman covered that in his response. I'll give you a bit of inside baseball on the development of the Rose. The last piece of the puzzle was incorporating the sole plate on the bottom of the putter. JR is BIG on aim. Probably the most important thing in his process. Think marksman..... After Luis Pedraza, our inventor / CEO, incorporated the sole plate on the final Proto version....JR laser tested the putter the Sunday before Palm Desert last year, and he was splitting the tee's he was aiming at right away. If his aim is a fraction off...its a no go. That putter is the same putter he went on to win the following week at Torrey Pines with, and broke a career high in every major putting category with in 2019. Also the exact same putter you can buy off the rack. Rose-B and Tour-HM incorporate the same sole plate. All of our other putters sit square address too due to the sole cambering and weight placement. Sole plate isn't needed on our models due to construction. One thing to keep in mind about JR is in 2018, before switching to Axis1 in 2019, he was ranked #1 in the world, just won the Fedex Cup, and ranked 21st in SGP (career high)....he didn't have to make the change to our product at that point and still did, and as I mentioned above broke career highs in EVERY major putting category. He believes our technology can revolutionize the category.

For "hang" all of our putters are individually tuned as our final process before heading out the door. If the putter isn't sitting at the 12:00 (perfectly toe up) position it doesn't go out the door. Another cool thing to do with our product is pick it up and try to spin in on your finger. Then notice where it goes one its done spinning.

For TOUR.....We have an agreement with Rosey, but other then that...we do not pay any of the other players who use our product to do so. Everything is performance based. The Rose model is the ONLY putter model in golf to have a pro finish in the Top 3 of Strokes Gained Putting (Rose this year / one other player last year) in the last two PGA Championships.

I hope this answers everything for you.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
You forgot one. Truss putters... :cool:

That was only change the first time it was done years ago.
Calling something new, despite it not be, shouldnt really qualify as change, right?

In addition to the unusual aesthetics (which I don't mind, and can get past due to the performance), there's also the price point. At $450 the Rose and Tour-HM models are among the most expensive putters on the market (there's only 4 that are more expensive at PGA TOUR Superstore). That's pretty hard to overcome for a relatively unknown brand. They have some lower cost models (lowest is $230), but those have a more pronounced heel counterbalance.

The high price is partly due to the tight tolerances in weighting needed to achieve the perfect balance that produces zero torque, but it's still an obstacle to adoption.

Lots and lots of golfers spend $450 or more on a new driver every year or two, but for some reason there's far fewer spending that kind of money on putters. I guess it's the same reason there aren't as many putter fittings.

Last edited:
I got into a Umbra Axis One early on. Gamed it for at least 10 years. It then rode the pines..Then made a come back. Gamed the original Scotty Futura and the Umbra and Scotty would battle to get back in the bag. Recently got that putter bug and via THP slid the Indi Allison in the bag. I absolutely loved the Axis one on all putts 25 ft or less. I put the putter in my hands early and off the collars and long putts were intricate in judging. This Rose features two upgrades from the Umbra. milled face vs a flat smooth surface. And 3 site lines vs one. Another great write up by Jman. Enjoy his perspective.

That was only change the first time it was done years ago.
Calling something new, despite it not be, shouldnt really qualify as change, right?
I am just funning around. I probably should have replied to the statement about those who say they’d play brick on a stick. A quick look at the Truss thread tells us that there aren’t many who believe it. And, to bring it around to this thread, it’s the reason why you are so correct. A very large percentage of golfers do not adapt to something cosmetically different.

I got into a Umbra Axis One early on. Gamed it for at least 10 years. It then rode the pines..Then made a come back. Gamed the original Scotty Futura and the Umbra and Scotty would battle to get back in the bag. Recently got that putter bug and via THP slid the Indi Allison in the bag. I absolutely loved the Axis one on all putts 25 ft or less. I put the putter in my hands early and off the collars and long putts were intricate in judging. This Rose features two upgrades from the Umbra. milled face vs a flat smooth surface. And 3 site lines vs one. Another great write up by Jman. Enjoy his perspective.
Appreciate the kind words! Also love the feedback from someone who saw and rolled the initial models, they’ve definitely come a long way from then eh?

Appreciate the kind words! Also love the feedback from someone who saw and rolled the initial models, they’ve definitely come a long way from then eh?
I would say that Axis One models with their total face balance were ahead of the curve. The putters themselves haven't changed much. Moving from the smooth surface to a milled face was the only real change. And Justin Rose helping create his model. I roamed the floor of the PGA Show for a decade from 08 to 18. At virtually every show I picked up a new product. That's how I became aware of Axis One. Funky looks never swayed me from use of a better outcome club. To exhibit to playing partners the uniqueness of my Axis one....I would hold it in my left hand balanced parallel to ground and spin it with my right hand....everyone was always amazed it would spin multiple times....no other putter could do that.

I would say that Axis One models with their total face balance were ahead of the curve. The putters themselves haven't changed much. Moving from the smooth surface to a milled face was the only real change. And Justin Rose helping create his model. I roamed the floor of the PGA Show for a decade from 08 to 18. At virtually every show I picked up a new product. That's how I became aware of Axis One. Funky looks never swayed me from use of a better outcome club. To exhibit to playing partners the uniqueness of my Axis one....I would hold it in my left hand balanced parallel to ground and spin it with my right hand....everyone was always amazed it would spin multiple times....no other putter could do that.
Oh I agree the technical design is legitimate and pretty tremendous. But, aesthetics matter to the vast majority of golfers, especially at a higher price point. It’s nice to see Axis1 work hard to blend the two, abs they’ve done well there imo.

HI GTD,

Solid feedback and thank you for your support! Ten years is a heck of a run with one putter!!
Umbra does have a CNC milled face, just polished. One of my favorite products in our line.

IMO...Biggest advancement for us was the creation the smaller heel counter weight in the Tour. It was always going to be a battle for us to acquire both the ones like yourself that don't mind the larger heel counter weight and fully "GET" the tech -vs- the traditionalist that wanted the slimed down look and was turned off by the early product.

Again, really appreciate your support and let me know if you ever have an questions or feedback.

Cheers,
Phil

I find it interesting Odyssey is again putting the shaft behind the head on some models and Axis is going the other direction.
Hi BB,

Great questions.

As far as the former goes. Jman covered that in his response. I'll give you a bit of inside baseball on the development of the Rose. The last piece of the puzzle was incorporating the sole plate on the bottom of the putter. JR is BIG on aim. Probably the most important thing in his process. Think marksman..... After Luis Pedraza, our inventor / CEO, incorporated the sole plate on the final Proto version....JR laser tested the putter the Sunday before Palm Desert last year, and he was splitting the tee's he was aiming at right away. If his aim is a fraction off...its a no go. That putter is the same putter he went on to win the following week at Torrey Pines with, and broke a career high in every major putting category with in 2019. Also the exact same putter you can buy off the rack. Rose-B and Tour-HM incorporate the same sole plate. All of our other putters sit square address too due to the sole cambering and weight placement. Sole plate isn't needed on our models due to construction. One thing to keep in mind about JR is in 2018, before switching to Axis1 in 2019, he was ranked #1 in the world, just won the Fedex Cup, and ranked 21st in SGP (career high)....he didn't have to make the change to our product at that point and still did, and as I mentioned above broke career highs in EVERY major putting category. He believes our technology can revolutionize the category.

For "hang" all of our putters are individually tuned as our final process before heading out the door. If the putter isn't sitting at the 12:00 (perfectly toe up) position it doesn't go out the door. Another cool thing to do with our product is pick it up and try to spin in on your finger. Then notice where it goes one its done spinning.

For TOUR.....We have an agreement with Rosey, but other then that...we do not pay any of the other players who use our product to do so. Everything is performance based. The Rose model is the ONLY putter model in golf to have a pro finish in the Top 3 of Strokes Gained Putting (Rose this year / one other player last year) in the last two PGA Championships.

I hope this answers everything for you.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil,

Thanks for the very informative response. Love when we can talk to the people at HQ.
Too bad JR messed around with his other clubs. His momentum fell off a bit it seemed. The putting, it was apparent, was on fire for him.
I've used some less than "traditional" putters in my years, so the hosel isn't a big deal. The balance is the very intriguing part.

Does the toe up hang position and weighting benefit certain stroke types; such as straight back straight through? Do they all hang that way?
One video on your site doing an independent test said their putting robot was set up with a slight arc stroke for the test?

I just went to the website and looked at the JR model. What is the stock lie angle on these? I use a 71º lie angle and 35.5" length putter and don't see such an option? Would my specs be different with these for any reason?

I've been gravitating toward a little more toe flow of late, and wonder if the heel-side weighting gives it more toe flow?

I find it interesting Odyssey is again putting the shaft behind the head on some models and Axis is going the other direction.

Phil,

Thanks for the very informative response. Love when we can talk to the people at HQ.
Too bad JR messed around with his other clubs. His momentum fell off a bit it seemed. The putting, it was apparent, was on fire for him.
I've used some less than "traditional" putters in my years, so the hosel isn't a big deal. The balance is the very intriguing part.

Does the toe up hang position and weighting benefit certain stroke types; such as straight back straight through? Do they all hang that way?
One video on your site doing an independent test said their putting robot was set up with a slight arc stroke for the test?

I just went to the website and looked at the JR model. What is the stock lie angle on these? I use a 71º lie angle and 35.5" length putter and don't see such an option? Would my specs be different with these for any reason?

I've been gravitating toward a little more toe flow of late, and wonder if the heel-side weighting gives it more toe flow?

As far as stroke profile goes our tech fits both profiles. For the player that arcs the putter....you'll notice the heel/toe of our products want to stay perpendicular to your path. Less toe play. Less timing involved to get the putter back to square at impact. For the SBST profile you'll find our products will stay down the line easier. All of our putters sit at 12:00. The test robotic test you are talking about was set-up with a slight arc involved to show the former I mentioned above. Stock lie angle on the Rose model is 70*. Your specs are an option if you just specific in the notes section on our website if you decided to go that direction. No you don't need to adjust your current spec setup for our product at all. As far as flow goes thats TOTALLY up to you. If you want to use more flow then I'd say try our products and let me know if you notice any difference in timing vs others when you try to arc the putter? Make sense?

As far as stroke profile goes our tech fits both profiles. For the player that arcs the putter....you'll notice the heel/toe of our products want to stay perpendicular to your path. Less toe play. Less timing involved to get the putter back to square at impact. For the SBST profile you'll find our products will stay down the line easier. All of our putters sit at 12:00. The test robotic test you are talking about was set-up with a slight arc involved to show the former I mentioned above. Stock lie angle on the Rose model is 70*. Your specs are an option if you just specific in the notes section on our website if you decided to go that direction. No you don't need to adjust your current spec setup for our product at all. As far as flow goes thats TOTALLY up to you. If you want to use more flow then I'd say try our products and let me know if you notice any difference in timing vs others when you try to arc the putter? Make sense?
If I wanted to try something truly different, this would be it. Thanks for the info on ordering options. Maybe just allow a couple drop downs on the order options to allow for such adjustments and so people know this is avail without having to contact? (y)
I was trying to work it out in my mind how the balance and stroke paths would work out with the same product, and your response makes perfect sense. Is that on the site as well? Thanks again. (y)

If I wanted to try something truly different, this would be it. Thanks for the info on ordering options. Maybe just allow a couple drop downs on the order options to allow for such adjustments and so people know this is avail without having to contact? (y)
I was trying to work it out in my mind how the balance and stroke paths would work out with the same product, and your response makes perfect sense. Is that on the site as well? Thanks again. (y)

Yeah, to answer most of your questions...we're actually been grinding away hard on a new website. Hope to have it on-line late Q3...early Q4. It will be MUCH IMPROVED....Thanks for your feedback on that. Just gave us some serious validation on some of the things we are working on and much appreciated! One thing I was thinking....is what shape do you have an affinity to? If it's the one in your sig....Tour-HM all the way.

Yeah, to answer most of your questions...we're actually been grinding away hard on a new website. Hope to have it on-line late Q3...early Q4. It will be MUCH IMPROVED....Thanks for your feedback on that. Just gave us some serious validation on some of the things we are working on and much appreciated! One thing I was thinking....is what shape do you have an affinity to? If it's the one in your sig....Tour-HM all the way.
I'm stuck! I love the B60 shape of my Betti and the slight toe hang, but I have an Odyssey #7 White Hot Pro double bend that also works quite well and have my personal best with.

I'm thinking the head shape is largely cosmetic/aesthetics/sight lines/alignment given your product's balance point? (y)
Between the two I mentioned in my stock, the neck type slightly influences the decision. I've been pulling putts slightly/over the top with face balanced of late and like a little toe hang. I like the milled face on the Betti and the roll it imparts especially.

I'm stuck! I love the B60 shape of my Betti and the slight toe hang, but I have an Odyssey #7 White Hot Pro double bend that also works quite well and have my personal best with.

I'm thinking the head shape is largely cosmetic/aesthetics/sight lines/alignment given your product's balance point? (y)
Between the two I mentioned in my stock, the neck type slightly influences the decision. I've been pulling putts slightly/over the top with face balanced of late and like a little toe hang. I like the milled face on the Betti and the roll it imparts especially.

Correct on head shape with our product. Best way to put it is.....choose your desired head shape among anything in our line and the tech transfers amongst the entire line. You couldn't go wrong either way with Rose or HM. I'm just thinking based on your feedback you're looking for the best of both worlds, and the thing HM was inspired to do is....Give you the feel of the flow of a blade + the alignment features of a mallet + incorporate our perfectly balanced / torque free platform.

I love how you list your WITB from putter/wedges down by the way... (y):cool:

Curse you, @Jman. You are a horrible influence on my pocket book. 😂

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I rolled the Rose quite some time ago at the local store and it didn’t seem to work for me. However, after reading the write up, and going through a stretch of mediocre putting, I tried it again and it really clicked. I had some trade in stuff, so I went home with it.

Took it out for 9 holes yesterday evening and I had an extremely successful round on the greens, with 14 putts and 2 birdies. I spent another 30 minutes on the practice green before going home and am pretty excited about it. It really seems to keep me on line and I was making a lot of putts in that 10 to 15 foot range, something that has been really missing from my game. I will have it in the bag tomorrow and will report further.

Really solid round on the greens today with the Axis1 Rose. four birdies. 32 putts with one 3 putt, hitting 12 GIR. There were probably 3 putts where I hit my line perfectly, but I misread the break. I really believe that this putter is going to help my scoring.

I got in 9 holes this evening and this putter continues to shine. I had 7 GIR, so I would expect to have more puts, but I had 15 putts, six two putts and three one putts. My confidence is sky high right now.

I got in 9 holes this evening and this putter continues to shine. I had 7 GIR, so I would expect to have more puts, but I had 15 putts, six two putts and three one putts. My confidence is sky high right now.
Tenputt,

Thank you for giving us a shot! Love hearing about your progress! Look forward to hearing more!

Tenputt,

Thank you for giving us a shot! Love hearing about your progress! Look forward to hearing more!
You’re welcome. One thing that I should add for the readers of this thread is that the putter has that “Goldilocks” feel, not too hard, not too soft. Also, I have been having really good success on lag putts with distance control. It’s funny how I have gone from not being a fan at all to being a cheerleader. It’s a good lesson that sometimes we need to give something a try beyond an initial look.

You’re welcome. One thing that I should add for the readers of this thread is that the putter has that “Goldilocks” feel, not too hard, not too soft. Also, I have been having really good success on lag putts with distance control. It’s funny how I have gone from not being a fan at all to being a cheerleader. It’s a good lesson that sometimes we need to give something a try beyond an initial look.
Sounds like you've got a new gamer. Time to update your signature?

This is great information but the shape / design is too off-putting for me. I am usually function over form but I really don't like the look of these.

This is great information but the shape / design is too off-putting for me. I am usually function over form but I really don't like the look of these.
That’s precisely how I felt until I started rolling in putts that I haven’t made all summer.

Back