HipCheck

@robmillertime
Reaction score
Handicap
It’s finally US Open week. The PGA Tour is once again at fabled Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, New York, challenging players with fast greens, heavy rough and tight fairways just outside New York City.

The last time the US Open was visited at this iconic course was in 2006, and it was Phil Mickelson who came to 18, needing par on Father’s Day to pull off a victory at the one major that had eluded him. Then a wayward drive off the hospitality tent on 18, compounded by awful lies and equally awful shots, led to Aussie Geoff Ogilvy’s victory. “Geoff Ogilvy survives Winged Foot,” said NBC’s Dan Hicks.

With that, we asked THP Staffers to put together their picks for the second Covid-Era major. Much like Phil, gamble at your own risk.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather looks like it will be nice Thursday but rain on Friday . Then nice and chilly with highs in the 60s for Saturday and Sunday. Should be an exciting weekend!

I enjoyed this a lot. I think @MWard has his favorite and sleeper picks backwards. :)

May be my most anticipated Major in a while... I for one want to see the wreckage and the carnage

Really tried to go off the beaten track for a Longshot type player. Streels had a strong week at Safeway which gives me some confidence in that thought, and yes that pick was in last week.

I wanted to go DJ or Rahm but chalk is no fun. Obviously we wouldn't be stunned if either of those two won.

I enjoyed this a lot. I think @MWard has his favorite and sleeper picks backwards. :)

Fleetwood could fall under either. But since Tiger isn’t playing great at the moment, he’s a sleeper.I don’t think this course favors anyone, it’s just an absurdly difficult golf course.

It’s XANDER TIME!!!!!!

My favorite was Xander not Todd :ROFLMAO: I'm not that crazy. Todd was my sleeper

I liked this. Good way to get pumped up for the week. I’m so excited for another major week!

I like the Xander picks. He came on strong last weekend.

This might be the most excited I've been for a tournament in awhile

I haven't read it yet, but how did more staffer not pick DJ? This feels the 2018 Masters (prior to the stairs incident) where DJ was simply just playing a different game than the rest of the field. He's got to be a favorite unless he chokes again.

Ok, way to early rant done. I'm off to read the details.

I haven't read it yet, but how did more staffer not pick DJ? This feels the 2018 Masters (prior to the stairs incident) where DJ was simply just playing a different game than the rest of the field. He's got to be a favorite unless he chokes again.

I think it's a "you can't be that hot forever" casualty. If you look at iron accuracy lately, he's spectacular. I think Rahm is due because of that same stat PLUS he's tremendous in scrambling.

A few picked him to bust :)

DJ is all world right now, but his major record hasn't exactly been amazing. With all of his success he has a single major victory, and you could argue choked away a couple of others.

It would be hard to pick against him, especially if his wedges are on like they have been, but history might say otherwise.

DJ is all world right now, but his major record hasn't exactly been amazing. With all of his success he has a single major victory, and you could argue choked away a couple of others.

brooks.jpg

Yes he's been hot but we all know that runs out. Plus with tight fairways, thick rough and some tricky greens I don't think that is a recipe for success for DJ

I think it's a "you can't be that hot forever" casualty. If you look at iron accuracy lately, he's spectacular. I think Rahm is due because of that same stat PLUS he's tremendous in scrambling.
Agree, its not sustainable statistic. I don't think DJ will win, bu that means hes gotta be a bust. Bryson can qualify as a bust because he set the world on fire, but his game doesn't look ready for his massacre. I love the Ricky sleeper, the way he's been playing recently he could lose a ball in a simulator, so I don't have any expectations but it would have me watching closely. The other sleeper I love is Finau, hes got some serious game and putting as been alive the last few tournaments. Good read and fun to follow along, can't wait to harass the staff when their pick inevitably falls on their face, should be some solid public apologies after the event.

@jdtox you mean this is the most excited you've been for a tournament other than the Morgan Cup, I assume.

Agree, its not sustainable statistic. I don't think DJ will win, bu that means hes gotta be a bust. Bryson can qualify as a bust because he set the world on fire, but his game doesn't look ready for his massacre. I love the Ricky sleeper, the way he's been playing recently he could lose a ball in a simulator, so I don't have any expectations but it would have me watching closely. The other sleeper I love is Finau, hes got some serious game and putting as been alive the last few tournaments. Good read and fun to follow along, can't wait to harass the staff when their pick inevitably falls on their face, should be some solid public apologies after the event.

@jdtox you mean this is the most excited you've been for a tournament other than the Morgan Cup, I assume.
Should have clarified Professional Golf Tournament haha

I really think DJ will be the bust here, been riding that high playing well for to long to do it again this week.

I didn't want to take him because I thought taking him or Rahm seemed too easy. Obviously I wouldn't be shocked if one of those two won it and DJ is playing some crazy good golf at the moment.

Really like this thread!

Back