PODCAST Armlock Putters: Golf Unfiltered Episode 270

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever considered using an armlock putter? In today’s episode, Adam details the pros and cons of using an armlock putter following his multi-month experiment. What are a few things you need to consider when making the switch? What can you expect to find when practicing with an armlock? Is an armlock putter the best option for you?

Continue reading...

I really enjoyed this.
As someone that has tried the armlock previously, I fell more on the con side of things you discussed, but it was interesting to follow your long term progress. Also interesting that you went back.

Actually rolled a few putts with the armlock in the my office this morning. The grand experiment continues.

I really like the idea of the armlock. But for the life of me, I cannot get comfortable. It feels so forced and locked and painful.

Actually rolled a few putts with the armlock in the my office this morning. The grand experiment continues.
Whatever makes you happy, my friend.

It has been fun to follow.

Will have to give this one a listen. I have been pondering giving it a try based on how stable Bryson's putting stroke looks.

Nice review...

I have gone arm lock more or less full time for about a year and a half, after trying it for about 4 years on and off before that. Bought 2 putters built as arm lock. Bought 1 putter that I think was professionally modified to be an arm lock. And have modified 2 putters myself, one was a belly putter and one was a regular length putter.

A few observations...

I agree that it will help with a regular length putter because it forces you to putt with your shoulders. You will still have the motion if you go back to the regular length putter.

I have had more success since I went to the claw grip (a la Webb Simpson). That really promotes the “back-handed“ stroke that Adam talks about

Ball position is more important than with a regular length putter, since you can’t maneuver the putter head like you can with a regular length putter

If you want to modify a regular length putter, you must add considerable weight to the head. When I modified the regular putter, I really couldn’t feel the club head until I added about 50 grams of lead tape. (The belly putter already had a heavy head)

I found distance control and direction control were both easier than with a regular length putter... eventually.

Finally, yes, I agree that it is almost - almost - automatic inside 9 feet.

Thanks for listening! I hope a few listeners try out my experiment to see the benefits of this approach. If nothing else, it will definitely slow down your stroke and promote more shoulder use, like mentioned above.

Somehow I missed this one. Sorry about that. I thought I listened to a GU podcast talkng about armlock. Maybe I dreamed it. IDK. This one has the type of content I was looking to engage around. I enjoyed hearing about your experience from accidental start to where armlock fits in your game currently. One question, why not get fitted for an armlock putter? You ended up seeing armlock as a stroke training resource and went back to your fitted Betti. You clearly emphasized the fitted part. Would you putt even better yet with a fitted armlock?

I've rolled two armlock putters (42" Odyssey doublewide and a 43.5" Ping Sigma 2 Valor). I'm not certain I will go this way, but putting is the weakest part of my game. It is out of sync with the rest of my game, and that bugs me. I'm looking to make more putts, whatever the approach or tool. In my little test sessions, I am struck by the consistency. If I'm on line, I'm going to hit the same putt over and over, minimal variability. Light bulbs go off in my noggin. Hmm. I have some 2ndswing credit and may use it to pick up an armlock to test over the winter. I would rather go and get fit, but that's not in the cards anytime soon. And, of course, I may go a different direction.

Back