Have you ever been ready to leave the game

mreiter

Titleist Junkie
Reaction score
Handicap
I played with a few of my friends this past weekend and I left after nine holes. I was so frustrated with my game that it got me thinking that I should just quit!. I didnt throw clubs or anything like that but I just was not having fun, couldnt hit the ball at all. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt that way? It was bad it was like I never played before completely embarrassing.

I have.

I'd give anything to go out there and suck it up royally.
Just take a break. Late season fatigue is real.

Sometimes I have more on my mind when I'm out there than I realize, and concentration gets hard. Its a CRAZY world right now.
We need to all take a break in many ways! :cool: Maybe the head just wasn't right for the day.

Never quit mid round, had some challenging rounds and doubted playing, but then I play with friends and have a good time and I think I would gut it out

Never quit mid round, had some challenging rounds and doubted playing, but then I play with friends and have a good time and I think I would gut it out
Have you ever had a case of mystery s-word shots that comes out of NOWHERE that you cannot figure out, and it keeps happening over and over and over out on the course? I have. ((And my personal best is 68.)) :eek: I have walked off. It sucks hard. You take a break. You go to the range. :ROFLMAO:

I have, then I reminded myself I am an amateur, and it is a game.

I do my best to not be upset with any shot for more than 10 seconds, then move on.

When I am struggling, I dial it back and have more success.

I don't think golf is different than anything else, if you are not having fun don't try to force yourself because you like to watch it, or enjoy the time with friends or what have you.

Step back, take your break and assess if it was the situation that really ruined the experience for you or if it was golf itself. If it was the experience then you know where to start and if it was golf you know what to change.

Don't do anything out of anger or haste, but if you no longer enjoy it for whatever reason then take your break and see if it comes back but know that it's okay if it doesn't.

I tell my friends, regardless of what we are doing, that we need to quit while we are still having fun. It applies to nearly everything don't wait until you hate something to quit whether it's golf, another hobby or activity or even your job.

Since I started formally playing golf in 2016, I have taken short periods off. But it was 99.9% about other priorities (e.g., herding with the dogs or health challenges) and lack of time to commit. At this point I plan to keep playing golf as part of my lifestyle as long as I can. There will likely be gaps where I don't play or play less, but golf will continue. I want to keep improving and like working on my game, but how well I play or score is not going to influence whether I keep playing. For one, the people and outdoor activity in beautiful landscapes are enough to keep me in the game even if I shoot >100 every round. I'm also happily geeked out on the equipment. I love it.

Never quit mid round, but did give up
Golf for a few years after college. More of being burnt out of the game for trying to remain in the team after walking on.

Everyone goes through that at some point or another. You do have a few options though. 1. Take a break and don't touch a club for a few weeks. 2. Lower your expectations, have fun and realize that you are not a pro golfer and you will make mistakes and hit bad shots. It's much worse mentally to play bad when you think you should be doing better. 3. Get better (lessons, practice, etc.) so you can play to your expectations.

I have considered quitting mid round, (never did it) but never the game. It has to much to offer.
Sounds like it is time for a break for you.

I see it a lot, guys in my group will bale after 9 because they are playing poorly and yes, it is much more prevalent late in the season. I have bad spells too but don't walk off mid round. I will focus on my shots and if I am completely out of the hole I will just walk along the edge of the rough and look for/ find a few balls to take my mind off it till my group finishes the hole. Then I try and focus again but I struggle with shaking off a bad hole....working on it though.

About once a week I’m ready to leave/quit the game.

just take a break, let some time pass.
after college i was tired and yeah kind of burnt out, took a little time, but it comes back, i couldnt ever leave the game, frustrating rounds are tough but theres always that one shot that brings you back.

I took some time off many years back and still have garbage rounds like yesterday. Like others have said maybe swing easier and take a club more (I should take that advice). I think my issue yesterday was not following my pre-shot routine, not that I have a rigid one, but I think I was approaching it too lightly after some strong rounds and last night and today I am still pissed off.

Maybe something else is slow down, no need to rush. A rushed poor shot is way more time consuming that a well thought out good shot. I think I did that yesterday on chips and putts.

Range time is always good or just going out by yourself and not keeping score and just hitting golf balls. It is a great activity that is extremely difficult, but lots of fun to be out with friends on a great day.

Felt like it a few times, but never left.

Had my bosses dad leave after 4 holes, but not for his play. My boss was having a bad round and was swearing and throwing his clubs. After one of his tantrums his dad just started walking down the fairway to the clubhouse. My boss says "where are you going"?, his dad says "I'm not playing with you, you're an *^$hole" and left.

It actually changed my bosses game, he rarely loses it anymore. He took it to heart.

The only time I ever left a game mid round was for an injury and for lightning.
And.....never ever would I consider leaving the game itself.

Never quit on a bad round of golf. Even a bad round of golf is still playing golf.

I did leave the game in my best golf years for 10 years. Just found something else I wanted to do for those 10 years. The nearest course was 80 miles away.

There have been times when I didn't make time for golf. There are times when I have made time for golf. Sometimes there are a couple years between when I golf and when I don't. My game tend sto improve those times.:ROFLMAO:

It can happen. Even the best can struggle. Some times you need a break, other times you press through. It is an individual thing. Some are good at recovery and others not so much.

I haven't considered quitting the game. I've been away from it for a while with various injuries and surgeries. But, I went home after 9 in mid-March. I had the 2 way miss, the fats, the hosels. I birdied the first hole and then on #2 blew my tee shot and provisional into the woods and couldn't find either. On #4, I hit a beautiful 3W to leave 85 yards to the center and lateraled 2 into the pond that wasn't really in play. It went downhill from there. My head was everywhere but there and I wasn't having any fun.

i've never left during the round due to frustration. but i've certainly wanted to quit after a bad round. or a bad lesson. or a bad range session. or when the sun sets. or when it's wednesday. or when...

Yes, more than once in my life. When I was younger and little more of a jack@$$ I walked out on a round once. I'd just had enough that day and probably some compounding frustrations, etc....

After many years not playing (due to circumstances of just...having kids, running a small business, etc) I came back maybe 3-ish years ago. I've had frustrations but not enough to quit. There are days when I'm like, dammit, this game is stupid and I hate it...then the next I wake up and think, hmmmm...maybe I was doing XYZ wrong and I go to the range to get to work.

I think part of it is just accepting without having the time for a TON of work...I may just be roughly what I am as a golfer at this point. Yeah...maybe some slight improvements to be had...but overall, I think I just don't have the time to put into become a LOT better. Accept that you enjoy the game, enjoy being outside, enjoy the time with friends (or with yourself) and just roll with it....believe me...I'd love to shave 10 strokes off...but...if I don't, not like I'm gonna lose my tour card :)

10 years ago I never thought about it but now I seem to mutter the words "if I keep playing like this, I will quit" at least once a round. It has entered my mind but I enjoy playing with my dad and brother to quit right now.

I played with a few of my friends this past weekend and I left after nine holes. I was so frustrated with my game that it got me thinking that I should just quit!. I didnt throw clubs or anything like that but I just was not having fun, couldnt hit the ball at all. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt that way? It was bad it was like I never played before completely embarrassing.
Absolutely, I was there a few years ago during one particular round where I just couldn't hit a ball to save my life. Thankfully my brother was there and pointed out a swing flaw that got me back to at least resembling a hacker rather than the buffoon I looked like before that.

Yes, when I went on vacation to Asia....came back with pneumonia. I was literally 'that close' to death as for a couple of weeks I thought I only had a cold. When I was rushed to the emergency...I felt I was on the my last few breathes.

Anyways, this episode took me months, almost a year to get back to 'normal'. I was put in an intensive program just to gain weight and strength.

Then when I felt better, I tried to play golf...last a couple of holes and almost collapsed on the 2nd fairway.

I took time off from golf, I made a decision to not go back to the game. But a friend, almost like my brother, convinced me to try it again..... I did and took me a couple of months to feel good to enjoy the game vs 'laboring' just to put in 18.

So glad to have my friend...as I really enjoy this game.

Back