Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges are designed for forgiveness and to help you take the guess work out of your short game. Over the last handful of years, wedges have become more robust with grind options and sole designs.

wedge5-1024x692.jpg

Outside of the Cleveland CBX there have not been too many mainstream offerings that bring more forgiveness, while still allowing for the versatility wanted for the touch shots around the green. Callaway has decided to enter that space with the Mack Daddy CB.

If you are asking yourself about the market and if there is one for this style wedge, the answer is yes. According to the latest market share data, the rise of forgiving wedges continues. There are two points that are frequently...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
They sure look nice, fancy and pretty little things! Thank you for the write up.

Not big on the looks for me, but having the CBX and Sure Out wedges in my bag I like that more oems are offering help in the wedge space.

Very smart lf Callaway to enter this space. Curious how they feel, particularly on the lower lofts. This release makes a lot of sense, and like the badging Callaway used.

• Admin
Very smart lf Callaway to enter this space. Curious how they feel, particularly on the lower lofts. This release makes a lot of sense, and like the badging Callaway used.

When I first received them in hand and the information, I was a bit concerned about how they would feel. Would they have a higher pitched sound or unique sound that would be pretty unconventional for a wedge? It sounds and feels like a wedge. It sets up like a wedge. I have only worked with the 56 and 58 degree lofts, but can say in those they feel pretty darn good.

Sign me up for the lefty 52* full, definitely giving that a shot first. Could it blend in perfectly with my favorite CF19 Forged 48* AW? :D

The CBX wedges are very good - no brainer to tap into and expand this section of the market. I am a big proponent of the forgiving wedge.

I’m digging this release a lot. Smart play considering how well the Cleveland CBX wedges have done and these look ready to compete. Curious why they went so much lighter in the shafts options. Head must be considerably heavier than previous offerings.

I am really liking what I read and see in these wedges. The idea of the longer grip is a great idea.

When I first received them in hand and the information, I was a bit concerned about how they would feel. Would they have a higher pitched sound or unique sound that would be pretty unconventional for a wedge? It sounds and feels like a wedge. It sets up like a wedge. I have only worked with the 56 and 58 degree lofts, but can say in those they feel pretty darn good.
That's perfect. I remember my experience with the Cleveland CB (not CBX) and thought it was a little bit firmer. Glad to read this one isn't on that end of the spectrum.

I think this segment of the wedge market will expand. Even though I think loft will be the primary driver of forgiveness, the benefits of perimeter weighting for maintains off center strikes ballspeed can't be ignored.

It also allows more separation in design between the tour styled wedge and the forgiving wedge.

Great write up @JB, I really like the idea of the longer grip. Such a small change that could really work on a lot of clubs. These look like another solid offering in forgiving clubs by Callaway this fall.

Smart product, smart (or maybe lucky?) release timing with the Open this week, and smart price point, too. Will be interesting to revisit this in about a year and compare sales to CBX.

They look pretty good but I hate the name splash all over the front. The grip color option and length is a nice touch. They will sell a ton of these.

I'm curious how everyone would respond if this was a TaylorMade release....?

They got pretty skewered for their FCT putter.

Genuinely I think similarly, although track record plays a role.
They weren't first, but the forgiving wedge is a bit different as every company has had them for years in set wedges.
Combine that with options like Sure Out and others and most companies have been doing something like this for quite a while.

Full release of lofts, as the article states, CBX was first, but others with perimeter weighting have been around for quite some time as well.

With that said, I expect some "follow the leader", because to be fair, they did.

whereas some of the putters / alL of the putters are straight copies, I think this is recognition of a hole in the lineup and providing a club that could genuinely help a lot of golfers.

At the Grandaddy, several of us asked if they had something like this coming, and while they didn’t mention the MDCB specifically, they knew that it was important to have a club like this available and said stay tuned.

despite, imo, the Clevelands looking better, I think this is a great move for callaway. Not everyone needs a MB wedge.

I’ve never hit a cb wedge but the design makes sense. Should be popular especially given Callaway’s reach and marketing. Smart release with the b21 line. I like that they followed Ping with the longer grip.

I think these look really sharp. Glad to see another OEM entering this arena. CBX has done very well and has helped a ton of golfers. I bet this will be a hit.

I need a 54* in my bag so I think this will get ordered however I have a dilemma for sure.
I normally play Hi-Rev 2.0 115 in Regular Flex - Wonder if the 105 in Wedge Flex will act the same or if I should go with the 80 Graphite.
@DNevsCG Any Help here?

Last edited:
This isn't a wedge I would gravitate towards, but I can see this one helping a lot of golfers. A little late to the party, but better late than never and hopefully they get some traction with this release.

The longer grip is something that should have been done on wedges years ago. I sometimes find myself low on the shaft Just off the grip.

@JB - does the new wedge have the jaws groove in grove tech?

That's not what I was expecting to see looks wise. It doesn't look much like the typical Mack Daddy I'm used to seeing (only in pictures) but I like it. (I like the 4 circles on the back of the regular Mack Daddy wedges and have always wanted them since they were first released... I mean come on, who wouldn't want a club called Mack Daddy!)

It appears that they put some thought into the design and usage of the club, especially with the longer grip for choking up or down on the club.

I'm interested to know how they test out. I've only used Cleveland wedges. Currently a CG16 and I've got an RTX4 enroute... but I've got an AW and PW that might need replacing in the future.:)

The longer grip is something that should have been done on wedges years ago. I sometimes find myself low on the shaft Just off the grip.

@JB - does the new wedge have the jaws groove in grove tech?

Here ya go. From the article in the first post.

The Mack Daddy CB wedges are complimented with JAWS and on the higher lofts, the grooves extend across the entire face. Extremely helpful when manipulating the face open for that sand or splash type of shot out of the deeper grass.

Not something that would find it's way into my bag right now, but I love the longer grip on the wedges. Always find it useful when choking up a bit.

Back