Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

not surprising they did this with other wedges and the tech being successful, i think biggest takeaway is forgiveness and playability. Not looking to add these anytime soon, but i did find the lengthened grips a great idea💡

it is longer than normal and will allow you to manipulate your hands a bit more when you want to choke down on the club for some distance control or touch shots.

I like to swing my 50* wedge full so this could be a helpful wedge. That being said, I have tried CB wedges before and didn't get along with them so it is something that needs to be tried before writing it off.

Genuinely I think similarly, although track record plays a role.
They weren't first, but the forgiving wedge is a bit different as every company has had them for years in set wedges.
Combine that with options like Sure Out and others and most companies have been doing something like this for quite a while.

Full release of lofts, as the article states, CBX was first, but others with perimeter weighting have been around for quite some time as well.

With that said, I expect some "follow the leader", because to be fair, they did.

When I saw this wedge for the first time. The Callaway rep said "want to see our CBX ripoff wedge"? I thought it was great that he acknowledged that it was a direct take and was unapologetic about it. He said the CBX wedge was currently the best out there for the given segment and they wanted to go after more of that market..

The Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges are designed for forgiveness and to help you take the guess work out of your short game. Over the last handful of years, wedges have become more robust with grind options and sole designs.

Outside of the Cleveland CBX there have not been too many mainstream offerings that bring more forgiveness, while still allowing for the versatility wanted for the touch shots around the green. Callaway has decided to enter that space with the Mack Daddy CB.

If you are asking yourself about the market and if there is one for this style wedge, the answer is yes. According to the latest market share data, the rise of forgiving wedges continues.

Continue reading...

@JB, what do you see is the biggest difference between these and the Sure Out line? Will these replace the Sure Out?

One thing I can see it that it seems these have more of the JAWS grind in the grooves

@JB, what do you see is the biggest difference between these and the Sure Out line? Will these replace the Sure Out?

One thing I can see it that it seems these have more of the JAWS grind in the grooves

Quite different actually. The Sure Out is a very large soled wedge that doesnt have a lot of versatility, but does what it is supposed to do well. This is a wedge lineup that like the CBX (which I have said for years is fantastic) that offers most lofts, allows for some misses on the face, etc. While so many golfers are full swinging wedges now, including higher lofts, more wedges like this are necessary for a huge segment of golfers.

More forgiveness, please! Color me intrigued!

I'll admit I was kind of throwing my popcorn at the 'Outside of the Cleveland CBX there have not been too many mainstream offerings' part, :LOL: but I guess you're not wrong. I wouldn't call the glide 3.0s mainstream.

Makes sense for them to put one out. Can't be enough of these wedges imo. Looks alright. Better from above than the back. I like the size, how the W grind sits, the grip, the grind/loft splits, and the fact that you said they feel like a wedge. Don't love the idea of everyone swinging 105g shafts as the heaviest option but the hi-rev is a good one, so that probably will be too.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Is the MDCB enough of a difference to say it's an improvement over a CBX?

And how does the MCDB compare to an RTX4?

I wonder at what point do all wedges feature full-face groove designs?

The Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges are designed for forgiveness and to help you take the guess work out of your short game. Over the last handful of years, wedges have become more robust with grind options and sole designs.

Outside of the Cleveland CBX there have not been too many mainstream offerings that bring more forgiveness, while still allowing for the versatility wanted for the touch shots around the green. Callaway has decided to enter that space with the Mack Daddy CB.

If you are asking yourself about the market and if there is one for this style wedge, the answer is yes. According to the latest market share data, the rise of forgiving wedges continues.

Continue reading...
Nice write up JB. Those pics are pretty flattering. I saw the wedge on Callaway's website this morning and thought they looked good. Seeing them in the article and not a rendering has me even more impressed. I think it's a brilliant move for Callaway. So many golfers have GI or SGI and then immediately transition into a blade wedge. Some guys I know rarely even hit them because they lack consistency and confidence with them. So, they are stuck trying to get height around the greens with their PW or set AW. For being slightly larger in size and slightly thicker, they sure do manage to keep a traditional look from the top.

Is the MDCB enough of a difference to say it's an improvement over a CBX?

And how does the MCDB compare to an RTX4?

RTX4 is quite different and would be a closer comparison to the MD5 line of wedges or the newer ZipCore from Cleveland.

The CBX and MDCB are similar in that they are perimeter weighted. Similar in that they are slightly larger and flow from the set of irons to the wedges pretty seamlessly. With that said, there are some differences including sole design. If someone is trying to choose between the two, we would recommend trying both.

I wonder at what point do all wedges feature full-face groove designs?
Not soon enough! Hoping that it makes it's way to the majority of wedges soon. Aside from aesthetics, I don't know what a traditional wedge could do that a wedge with full face grooves couldn't.

Not soon enough! Hoping that it makes it's way to the majority of wedges soon. Aside from aesthetics, I don't know what a traditional wedge could do that a wedge with full face grooves couldn't.

I think it comes down to a look preference for many. I like full face grooves, but I think the traditional grooving frames the ball better. Along with that. Why not have a full set of irons with full face grooves? I hit plenty of 5 irons out on the toe.

I think it comes down to a look preference for many. I like full face grooves, but I think the traditional grooving frames the ball better. Along with that. Why not have a full set of irons with full face grooves? I hit plenty of 5 irons out on the toe.
Haha, why not I suppose? I think with wedges it's a bit different though. Opening the face can lead to impact in places other than the center of the face. If I catch one off the toe of my wedge, it's usually because I had the face wide open and am trying to hit a delicate shot. Sometimes that miss won't be so bad. Other times the ball comes out a little low and runs out a lot.

Haha, why not I suppose? I think with wedges it's a bit different though. Opening the face can lead to impact in places other than the center of the face. If I catch one off the toe of my wedge, it's usually because I had the face wide open and am trying to hit a delicate shot. Sometimes that miss won't be so bad. Other times the ball comes out a little low and runs out a lot.

For sure. with most clubs you should be trying (very often) to hit shots like that where you expose the toe. it would be interesting to see a full set of clubs with grooves like that. Probably would look really strange.

I have to be honest, they’re quite industrial looking, it’s a much less clean and finished aesthetic than I expected from Callaway. It’s nice to see them jump into the segment though.

Yes please, I play a SW from my epic iron set, I'm thinking one of these would be a good progression from that. Probably a 60 W grind.

RTX4 is quite different and would be a closer comparison to the MD5 line of wedges or the newer ZipCore from Cleveland.

The CBX and MDCB are similar in that they are perimeter weighted. Similar in that they are slightly larger and flow from the set of irons to the wedges pretty seamlessly. With that said, there are some differences including sole design. If someone is trying to choose between the two, we would recommend trying both.
I guess I shouldn't try to compare a blade type wedge to cavity back. Either way, I'm liking the MDCB and how it looks. Thanks!(y)

I think they look good for the most part. I like the full face grooves a lot, but the head looks a little large for my taste.

Light weight shafts in wedges continues to be a direction I don't understand.

Either way, would be fun to try in a 46* and/or 50*.

I would certainly be interested in trying these. I'm pretty happy with my Ping Glide 3.0 with the same recoil 780 shafts as my irons but I'm interested in the KBS Hi-Rev 80g shaft to see how it compares. I've pondered adding an actual wedge in my 50* spot instead of the set wedge. Maybe I consider this. I just wish there was a way to demo wedges in graphite shafts before buying.

I think they look good for the most part. I like the full face grooves a lot, but the head looks a little large for my taste.

Light weight shafts in wedges continues to be a direction I don't understand.

Either way, would be fun to try in a 46* and/or 50*.

I think light weight in general is the direction you are seeing quite a bit. We have really seen a lot of clubs go from the norm of 130 to 105 the last couple of years.

I like that companies are coming out with these style wedges while still trying to incorporate the tech that is in their more traditional wedges. Makes it seem like there is not that much of a performance sacrifice that you might be giving up by going to something a bit bigger/more forgiving.

Nice looking wedge, with nice shaft options. The full face grooves would be the killer for me. For my eyes, it doesn't frame the ball as well, plus I'll never hit the ball out that far for those grooves to be of any use even when I open up the club. Some people like them and that's good, more options for the golfer.

Why do all CB's have to look so clunky on the back? No exception here.

Great write up @JB I might have to get my hands on one of these.

Back