Just had a lesson with Mike Adams, Top 5 golf instructor

Hi Millsan1

I know this is an old thread , but just interested to find out whether you have continued to take lessons from Mike Adams and whether you've seen an improvement in your golf swing using his 'body patterning' biomechanics?
I have not gone back, $ are too much

The golf lesson thread had me review this thread, and I just booked again with Mike. I'll post update after. It will be interesting, as I am better than I was a year ago.

Awesome. (y)
When you get a really good lesson, sometimes the tendency is to not go back too. You can really take it to the course and range and work on things.
I think a really good pro has to price accordingly and can discount with some packages when you are a "client." You are taking up a slot of one of his "regulars" so to speak.

Not even the cost of a new driver. I love how great the same clubs suddenly feel after a good lesson. :love:

The golf lesson thread had me review this thread, and I just booked again with Mike. I'll post update after. It will be interesting, as I am better than I was a year ago.

Do you think you were able to retain some of the concepts and the distance from the lesson a year ago?

Do you think you were able to retain some of the concepts and the distance from the lesson a year ago?
Honestly, when rereading my original post, only 1 item. Hence, a revisit for sure.

It's awesome to have those results sheet an hour. I'd rather do that than 4 straight lessons and marginal improvement.

Would I be right to assume this is the same Mike Adams who co-authored the book "Total Golf" with Tomasi, and Maloni? Aka "The Swing Doctor"?

Maybe not?

Would I be right to assume this is the same Mike Adams who co-authored the book "Total Golf" with Tomasi, and Maloni? Aka "The Swing Doctor"?

Maybe not?
You would be correct

Mike works closely with EA Tischler and there's a lot of free information on the website links below, especially the patterns that might fit a golfer that relate to 'Accuracy', 'Power' and 'Good Feel'. There's also some links with images explaining all the terminology they use to describe these patterns plus ground force patterns regarding golfers who Glide/Spin/Launch (in different ratios)

The link above contains the description about Glide/Spin/Launch.

Last edited:
Mike works closely with EA Tischler and there's a lot of free information on the website links below, especially the patterns that might fit a golfer that relate to 'Accuracy', 'Power' and 'Good Feel'. There's also some links with images explaining all the terminology they use to describe these patterns plus ground force patterns regarding golfers who Glide/Spin/Launch (in different ratios)

The link above contains the description about Glide/Spin/Launch.

Thanks for posting these links. I have read most of them but a few were new to me.

i have been reading and watching everything I could find since seeing Mike Adams on the Chris Como show, and by extension, EA Tischler. That would include the Best Driving Instruction Book Ever for Golf Magazine, in which each of them have a section.

I like that Mike Adams measures your body and identifies the best method for you. My trouble is that I believe I am gaming the pivot test, and could be a front or rear post, or a center pivot. The same thing with the takeaway. I do think this method is more scientific and fits my thought processes better than when I was trying another method.

Well, I went back for a return lesson yesterday.

I paid much more attention to details this time, and as before, the results were pretty darn amazing.

Over time, I had weakened my grip, in pursuit of clubhead speed. He put that right. He had a device where you place the clubhead on a circular thing, which indicates angles of open/closed. Set up at 0, then he had me maneuver into impact position. Sure as heck, open 5*. He had me strengthen my grip, and setup was 0 and impact was 0. Back to my strong grip, and back to solid contact and distance.

He also pushed me on releasing the club more, and gave me some feels for that. Apparently, it's OK to allow your left arm to collapse post impact. I have been trying to keep my swing going out, and keeping my left arm straight through and past impact was part of that. WRONG.

He was also pushing me to really use my right hand. Really pushing with it, and getting the club moving. I asked "why isn't this casting?" He basically said "when you throw a ball, or shoot a basketball, etc, do you hold off your hands, or does everything start moving at once?" Seems legit and who am I to argue with him and results?

He basically showed me if I pull the club through with my left, it is going to leave the face open.

Finally, he gave me a feel for release by basically placing a paddle on my right hand, and having me swing. Forced me to be more active with my right hand.

All of these changes had me hooking pretty good, but that was what we were after. My path was pretty much straight down the line, we worked on more in to out, and overall, had pretty good results. It was hard to get a good idea of how well it was working, as we had a pretty stiff left to right wind, but all the data showed solid improvements.

We were using Trackman, and it indicated 165 on my 7I, which is about 20 yards more than I expect. I asked if that was carry or total and he said carry. I asked him if it was juiced, and he said "how to you juice radar?". Fair enough, but it didn't seem right. He said "you are swinging much faster than when you came in", which I can attest to, as the 4H was showing a CH speed of 85-88. I was poking them out there pretty good, but we shall see when I go to game this. It also showed me hitting my 4H 200, which again is about 20+ more than I count on. Again, gaming this will show the results.

We discussed follow up and why I hadn't been back in a year. I told him the $ were prohibitive for me to be a regular. He cut me a deal, and we agreed on more lessons, so I think I'll be back in 6-8 weeks.

I'm really amped to take this knowledge to the course and range.

Great stuff buddy, I am on the verge of starting a lesson pack once I get the sticks arranged again. Kind of backasswards for sure but that's my process to go in comfortable with the sticks then try to fix the body /swing issues.

Great stuff buddy, I am on the verge of starting a lesson pack once I get the sticks arranged again. Kind of backasswards for sure but that's my process to go in comfortable with the sticks then try to fix the body /swing issues.
Did you say "sticks arranged"? If I remember correctly, that means a set will be settled on for a grand total of 8 days before you start fiddling again.

Did you say "sticks arranged"? If I remember correctly, that means a set will be settled on for a grand total of 8 days before you start fiddling again.

Actually I have been a lot better lately, played the Honma's for quite a while. But guilty as charged for the most part.

Impatience got the better of me. I do not have my sticks with me, but I do have a 60, 5W and 3W in my truck, for some unknown reason. OK, I know the reason. I'm lazy.

Anyhoo.

Went to the range, and warmed up with the 60 and started pounding the 3 and 5 off the deck. Definite ball flight difference and definite distance increase. 5W was going 205 in the air, and 3W was bouncing into the net at 230. Both of these are increases over the normal distance for those clubs, and it was into a pretty solid wind. When I did it right, I was also seeing a nice baby draw.

I pulled a few and pushed a few, but overall, pretty happy.

Over the last 2 years, I've had so many lessons and tried so many different techniques that I think I got a little lost. I do remember the lesson last year really helping. I'm stickign with this and stopping watching all those youtubes.

Well, I went back for a return lesson yesterday.

I paid much more attention to details this time, and as before, the results were pretty darn amazing.

Over time, I had weakened my grip, in pursuit of clubhead speed. He put that right. He had a device where you place the clubhead on a circular thing, which indicates angles of open/closed. Set up at 0, then he had me maneuver into impact position. Sure as heck, open 5*. He had me strengthen my grip, and setup was 0 and impact was 0. Back to my strong grip, and back to solid contact and distance.

He also pushed me on releasing the club more, and gave me some feels for that. Apparently, it's OK to allow your left arm to collapse post impact. I have been trying to keep my swing going out, and keeping my left arm straight through and past impact was part of that. WRONG.

He was also pushing me to really use my right hand. Really pushing with it, and getting the club moving. I asked "why isn't this casting?" He basically said "when you throw a ball, or shoot a basketball, etc, do you hold off your hands, or does everything start moving at once?" Seems legit and who am I to argue with him and results?

He basically showed me if I pull the club through with my left, it is going to leave the face open.

Finally, he gave me a feel for release by basically placing a paddle on my right hand, and having me swing. Forced me to be more active with my right hand.

All of these changes had me hooking pretty good, but that was what we were after. My path was pretty much straight down the line, we worked on more in to out, and overall, had pretty good results. It was hard to get a good idea of how well it was working, as we had a pretty stiff left to right wind, but all the data showed solid improvements.

We were using Trackman, and it indicated 165 on my 7I, which is about 20 yards more than I expect. I asked if that was carry or total and he said carry. I asked him if it was juiced, and he said "how to you juice radar?". Fair enough, but it didn't seem right. He said "you are swinging much faster than when you came in", which I can attest to, as the 4H was showing a CH speed of 85-88. I was poking them out there pretty good, but we shall see when I go to game this. It also showed me hitting my 4H 200, which again is about 20+ more than I count on. Again, gaming this will show the results.

We discussed follow up and why I hadn't been back in a year. I told him the $ were prohibitive for me to be a regular. He cut me a deal, and we agreed on more lessons, so I think I'll be back in 6-8 weeks.

I'm really amped to take this knowledge to the course and range.

Thanks for sharing! I wish you the best in the future!

i have been reading and watching everything I can find from Mike Adams since seeing him on Swing Expedition last year.

Whih post golfer are you? I can game the test and convince myself I am all three. When I take the static measurements I am a spinner, but have played pretty well using the Launcher method off of a front post.

Good luck in the future!

We'll, it held up on the course. Multiple 240+ drives on a cold wet morning. Irons and wedges were a solid 15-20 yards longer.

Put up a PB 78 today.

So now with this new swing, my miss is a pull. It's a result of an out to in and closed face. It is now a matter of trusting myself and this new swing. Really happy. Played another 9 and then 5 more. Has some wonderful iron shots.

So now with this new swing, my miss is a pull. It's a result of an out to in and closed face. It is now a matter of trusting myself and this new swing. Really happy. Played another 9 and then 5 more. Has some wonderful iron shots.
That is the best result of a great lesson! Repetitions will get you to the trust level. Sounds like you are on your way!

We'll, it held up on the course. Multiple 240+ drives on a cold wet morning. Irons and wedges were a solid 15-20 yards longer.

Put up a PB 78 today.

congrats on the pb!!!

Going to bump and nudge this thread. Just had a lesson with Mike Adams and Terry on Friday. On Top, Rear Post golfer with much longer wingspan than height and longer forearm.

One of the amazing things hearing them talk was about all of my good tendencies that other teachers have tried to coach out of me (early extension, cupped left wrist, steep takeaway). It took only a few swings and a couple of drills to start pounding some shots.

Per Terry's suggestion, I downloaded the "Ultimate Golf Lesson" Winter edition and have been going through that content - probably most interesting for me was the recorded lessons - picked up a bunch of new nuggets (mainly different ways of explaining the same thing).

Just found this 90 minute video with Mike Adams and Terry Rowles and it was very interesting indeed.

Apparently after testing and measuring 90+ pga tour pros through their systems they found a cause and effect of why PGA Pros swing the way they do. It all seems to be related to body part 'shape/length/flexibility' . He also shows in detail the swing patterns for many PGA Pro golfers providing a reason for their backswing and downswing planes and how they pivot . Posture and setup (unique to the golfers body) seems to be of ultimate importance in dictating the dynamics of the swing.

They found one third of golfers they measured pivoted on their lead leg , another third pivoted centrally , and yet another third pivoted on their rear leg all (each type of pivot will have different lower body biomechanics).

I wish the other follow-up episodes were free to view as they get into more detail about how the grip can change your swing action.

Back