What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I swear if I could play the CSX off the tee and then swap back to the CS for my approach shots I would do it. I played 3 holes prior to league tonight and hit the CSX and the CS off the tee and the CSX is longer off the driver. Just can't play the CSX from approach in.

Played the 2020 X today after not playing with it for a bit and I came away even more convinced the standard ball is for me. If felt like I was leaving yards behind throughout my round with the X. Never felt this way with the CS in play.

I swear if I could play the CSX off the tee and then swap back to the CS for my approach shots I would do it. I played 3 holes prior to league tonight and hit the CSX and the CS off the tee and the CSX is longer off the driver. Just can't play the CSX from approach in.
This is how I feel about the CS and CSX. I am still trying to figure out which I like better overall and even have been throwing ERC into the mix since I have played quite a bit with that ball.

I have hit some really nice drives with the CSX but prefer everything else of the CS ball.

Got to play 9 holes with the chrome soft today. Driver was erratic but still feels like ball helps keep strong fades and draws from becoming hooks and slices. Was VERY impressed with wedge spin today. Dry conditions had wedges stopping and even backing up some. Think the ball I've now played 18 with is destined for the practice ball part of my bag but it definitely met some trees, cart paths, and two trips to the sand so I got my money's worth lol.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Can't seem to find any 2020 Chrome Soft X in town, so I bought some regular Chrome Soft with Triple Trak today. Have a match play final on Saturday and need my trusty chromies in the bag.

I played a few holes with the 2020 Chrome Softs today. Played a course that I can lose a lot of balls if my driver is off, so I just used them on the six par-3s. These things continue to impress me with the feel and how well they play around the greens. Stuck a couple of short par-3s pretty close, one with my 56*, and another with my PW, both stopped right next to the ball marks. I missed a couple of greens too, but my chips worked out just as I would hope, checking nicely then a nice slow roll-out. The only negative is I still think they are just a bit shorter than my normal ball, the Srixon Q-Star Tour, not enough to make it a deal breaker, but noticeable.

I still have a full sleeve left, two still new, the other in very playable condition, so I will post more next time out. :drinks:

I went out for 9 tonight and played the CS instead of the x. I feel like I'm straight up getting more distance out of the CS than I do out of the CSx. I had multiple drives over 300 tonight and it felt effortless while when I drive with the x, I feel like 280 is my ceiling. I may not be able to compress that ball like I need to off the tee. Everything else though leaves me wanting the x back. I have much better distance control with my approaches and mid irons with the x than I do with the standard Chrome Soft. I feel like this is counter to what a lot of people have seen so far though. It's really interesting and must be tested more. Guess that means more golf for me

Last edited:
How does the 2018 model of the CS compare to the 2020? Same? Different? And if so, in what ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the 2018 model of the CS compare to the 2020? Same? Different? And if so, in what ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 is noticeably softer. It feels like hitting a hard rubber ball, wrapped in a marshmallow. Other than that, from what I saw, spin was better off short irons and wedges, side spin off the driver was reduced, and feels like a little harder ball. I'm in the minority and prefer the 2018 version over the 2020 in CS. If you like the 2018 ball, try the 2020. It does preform better, but for my game, that little bit of performance enhancement is not going to make much of a difference, and when you bring the price into it, to me it's not worth it. Again, this is only MY opinion, as others have had more success than I have.

2018 is noticeably softer. It feels like hitting a hard rubber ball, wrapped in a marshmallow. Other than that, from what I saw, spin was better off short irons and wedges, side spin off the driver was reduced, and feels like a little harder ball. I'm in the minority and prefer the 2018 version over the 2020 in CS. If you like the 2018 ball, try the 2020. It does preform better, but for my game, that little bit of performance enhancement is not going to make much of a difference, and when you bring the price into it, to me it's not worth it. Again, this is only MY opinion, as others have had more success than I have.

That was sort of the reason I was asking. My parents live on a golf course and have quite the supply of balls that have landed in their yard over the years (they're on the left side of the first fairway and in the 220-250 yard range from the tee box, so they're in prime position for a lot of balls). In any event, I have been experimenting with balls, and I've had a few CS in the bag that I pulled from my parents' collection, and feel like I've been hitting them really well (related note: I hit a pitch on Tuesday with a Truvis version and because of that, it was easy to see the change in spin direction once it hit the green, bounced in the air, landed and stopped, which was sort of cool).

In any event, I've been contemplating trying them out more extensively to compare to the Z-Star, Maxfli Tour and Tour X, Kirkland Sigs, and the Tour BRX that I have "in stock" at the house. But, I am currently at a level, where I am probably unlikely to notice a huge difference between the 2018 and 2020 balls, even with changes, though I suppose you never know until you try them.

In any event, I've been contemplating trying them out more extensively to compare to the Z-Star, Maxfli Tour and Tour X, Kirkland Sigs, and the Tour BRX that I have "in stock" at the house. But, I am currently at a level, where I am probably unlikely to notice a huge difference between the 2018 and 2020 balls, even with changes, though I suppose you never know until you try them.
For me, the new balls feel similar to the Q-star. Compression on the new ball (depending on where you look) is around 75 where as the 2018 was supposed to be 65 ish. Both new and old (again for me) were noticeably farther off every club in the bag by at least 5 yards over the Z-star and on well hit shots were an entire club longer. Hands down, I would choose the new CS over both the Z&Q-Stars. Never played the Maxfli balls, and would choose the CS over the Kirkland balls (new and old) any day of the week. The BRX is definitely going to be more firm than the CS and will possibly feel like the CSX, but don't quote me on it as I like the soft feeling (not a big fan of the 100 compression stuff).

Bought some Chrome Soft to put in play yesterday in men’s league. I have been using Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS all year until this week.

Took a couple holes to get used to (especially the feel off the putter), but am really liking it so far. Felt dialed in with it last night. Good off the driver, great feel and spin off my wedges. Highlight was on 9, about 60 yards left on approach, then hit a pitch that had one hop and stopped 10 inches from the hole for a tap in birdie.

I played the regular Chrome Soft in some brutal winds today and I really liked the performance I saw. This one pierces the wind so much better than the previous model. I continue to swear it's a much more forgiving ball than the X version. I think my favorite thing is the feel of this ball. It's just about perfect for my preferences. I have to say I'm loving this ball.

I played the regular Chrome Soft in some brutal winds today and I really liked the performance I saw. This one pierces the wind so much better than the previous model. I continue to swear it's a much more forgiving ball than the X version. I think my favorite thing is the feel of this ball. It's just about perfect for my preferences. I have to say I'm loving this ball.
I'll disagree on the wind aspect. I thought that the 2018 ball was dynamite in the wind, whereas the 2020 is more affected by it.
Just my mileage of course.

I'll disagree on the wind aspect. I thought that the 2018 ball was dynamite in the wind, whereas the 2020 is more affected by it.
Just my mileage of course.
Interesting. I always felt like the last model ballooned on me. I saw some ballooning today but that's mostly on me adding loft to my irons.

Interesting. I always felt like the last model ballooned on me. I saw some ballooning today but that's mostly on me adding loft to my irons.
I agree. I didn't think that prior gen ball handled the wind well at all. This 2020 model is a different beast all together.
I played it today in 15mph winds and had no issues. Love the check up it gives me and the feel on the short game and putter.

Especially with irons - I think the CS does better on mishits. Maybe it’s a feel thing and not real, but overall I think I’ve found I overall play better with the CS. It’s a fantastic all-around ball, and one I keep going back to.

I've really enjoyed my experience with the CS Triple Track. Great spin in normal golf conditions and I do believe there's some forgiveness off the tee.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

I played the 2020 Chrome Soft again this week, same course as last week, so just used on the par-3s again, but this time I let my playing partner use one too, and he was really impressed. :thumb:

Back