Bryson Leads in Distance with Record Setting Number

I can drive over 300yds so these numbers aren't that impressive to me. I can go toe to toe with any of these players, and longer than most.

Million Dollar Question is can you putt?

I'm confused.

In your mind, are you arguing that Bryson's approach is only made worthwhile if he becomes the best performing golfer every week, and no one ever beats him? He seems to have improved in every measured way, why get worked up over how he's done it?

I'm confused by your questions.

My stance:

DJ is the best right now

I have no issue with what Dechambeau is doing, how many tournaments did that Harry keune or whatever win when he was holding the record based on the article.

Bryson started hot and slowed down toward the end. Based on course conditions and setup, distance helps people win, but you need a complete game to lock it down.

DJ's stats for GIR and putts the last four weeks were unreal.

Dechambeau is hitting bombs, but look at his score to par and where he finished in the field the last four weeks.

The article is about distance, and he is achieving that but he needs to SCORE

He also needs to be nicer to people.

I'd like to see Bryson face off with Champ and Finau in a long drive competition.

My stance:

DJ is the best right now

I have no issue with what Dechambeau is doing, how many tournaments did that Harry keune or whatever win when he was holding the record based on the article.

Bryson started hot and slowed down toward the end. Based on course conditions and setup, distance helps people win, but you need a complete game to lock it down.

Dechambeau is hitting bombs, but look at his score to par and where he finished in the field the last four weeks.

DJ is unequivocally the best right now, 100%. He also shot in the 80s for a couple of rounds, speaking of scoring. I don't remember Bryson having any rounds in the 80s, correct me if I'm wrong. In fact, go back to the Return to Golf (TM) and there were a couple of tournaments where DJ missed the cut but Bryson was in contention.

I don't think DJ's success has anything to do with Bryson, and I don't think its a sensible comparison. By that approach, literally every single player on tour except DJ need to learn to SCORE. August-September DJ isn't the measuring stick where we see if Beefy Bryson is a good experiment.

I will be curious to see how he does in the US Open. I read that Rahm played Wingfoot recently and said over par would be the winning score. Finding fairways will be a must.

I've never been a fan of Bryson's but it's got nothing to do with his actual game. It's the amount of time he spends in between shots that irks me more. I actually don't mind his new distance quest either. He's trying to change things up for himself and put himself in better position to win tournaments. Isn't that what we all do with our own golf games? I think it did highlight some of the course setups at some tour events are not the most demanding when it comes to accuracy over distance. When the setups changed, he seemed to have a tougher time. Could he have just been cooling off a little or was it the actual courses becoming more demanding? Not entirely sure. It's an impressive number either way as is the distance the Kuehne was hititng 15+ years ago (I do remember when he was in the US Amateur in the late 90's) and people were smitten with the distance he was hitting then as well.

My stance:

DJ is the best right now

I can putt and it's the strongest part of my game. Basically, anything within 20 feet is a gimme. I purposely fire at spots on the green to make my putts harder.

I am constantly amazed by the Bryson hate.

I love his game and his quest and his approach. From what I have seen, he is not spraying these balls all over the place. He misses, just like everyone else, but he also sends bombs out right smack in the middle. From what I've seen, his [problem is is is too long now. One tournament, I forget which, he made the same mistake 3 times. 3 times he was 120ish out, 3 times he hit his 56 or some such, and 3 times he flew it.

When he dials that all in, he will be even better.

Re: pace of play, I think that has improved a lot. I saw several name brand guys takign a good long time this past weekend on shots.

I love his game and his quest and his approach. From what I have seen, he is not spraying these balls all over the place. He misses, just like everyone else, but he also sends bombs out right smack in the middle. From what I've seen, his [problem is is is too long now. One tournament, I forget which, he made the same mistake 3 times. 3 times he was 120ish out, 3 times he hit his 56 or some such, and 3 times he flew it.

Re: pace of play, I think that has improved a lot. I saw several name brand guys takign a good long time this past weekend on shots.
Everyone hates him because he's weird. Tells everyone he's a scientist, which he isn't and brings protractors to the golf course. That's just plain stupid. And he took steroids which is dumb. I don't like him.

Everyone hates him because he's weird. Tells everyone he's a scientist, which he isn't and brings protractors to the golf course. That's just plain stupid. And he took steroids which is dumb. I don't like him.

He did? Weird that you have this inside info.
Did you feel the same way while Rory, Brooks and Tiger all bulked up? Or is this nugget of info more because "he's weird".

I think he’s just a bit abrasive (from this fan’s perspective) and I think he has a lot of ‘woe is me’ type complaints/whining. That said, I like having him in the field and always watch even if I’m not always cheering for him. I love his approach to trying to gain strokes and think his distance transformation was truly remarkable. I can’t wait to see how he progresses and what he does next!

Did you feel the same way while Rory, Brooks and Tiger all bulked up? Or is this nugget of info more because "he's weird".

There is nothing Bryson did that scream steroids to me. It was just an extremely dirty bulk.. Lots and lots and lots of calories and exercises.

Working out is great and being fit which I am. But adding all that bulk in a short period of time is not right. I don't like it one bit!!

I think he’s just a bit abrasive (from this fan’s perspective) and I think he has a lot of ‘woe is me’ type complaints/whining. That said, I like having him in the field and always watch even if I’m not always cheering for him. I love his approach to trying to gain strokes and think his distance transformation was truly remarkable. I can’t wait to see how he progresses and what he does next!
Me too! I think he's going to do a great job on the course. Adds some excitement and drama, but not the Patrick Reed type. He's going to win a lot of tournaments and make a ton of money. I bet the golf-bunnies will be tracking him down too! Great guy!

I like Bryson personally (albeit can see why some don’t) and his use of various analytics and believe he will win soon again. He also believe set a record most gain in distance from prior years. Just hope for golf sake he is proven over time to be “clean” as there are unsubstantiated rumors out there that he gained a lot of muscle almost unbelievably fast.

Hell, just eat a pound of bacon, a big stack of pancakes, and about 6 protein shakes for breakfast! He was already doing the other work!

His driving was impressive, for sure but what good is it? 0 major wins for Bryson.
He has played In a single major since his distance increase and finished top 5. Clearly worked for him considering his results.

Winning in his 2nd major since his distance gain seems pretty good.

Longest ever driving distance.
Fewest fairways hit by a winner, however.
I hope everyone does the science/math there in that equation. ;)

Bryson is, however, also a great shotmaker.
Too bad that gets lost with these clown announcers.

Longest ever driving distance.
Fewest fairways hit by a winner, however.
I hope everyone does the science/math there in that equation. ;)

Bryson is, however, also a great shotmaker.
Too bad that gets lost with these clown announcers.

His fairways hit were low historically, but above the average of the field. Stats go both ways...

Interesting to hear some takes now that he not only won but by a big margin. It’s now official. :unsure: Can’t wait to hear what BK has to say?;)

His fairways hit were low historically, but above the average of the field. Stats go both ways...
It is unfortunately fueling this distance narrative, which has to go. So tired of it. Everyone plays the same course, same equipment.
I'm just glad the winning score was not really low. Or this narrative might take on more steam. Which is not good for the average golfer.

It is unfortunately fueling this distance narrative, which has to go. So tired of it. Everyone plays the same course, same equipment.
I'm just glad the winning score was not really low. Or this narrative might take on more steam. Which is not good for the average golfer.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me winning by 6 strokes is going low. Lower that the remainder of the best in the world.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me winning by 6 strokes is going low. Lower that the remainder of the best in the world.
And that leads us, unfortunately, to the logical conclusion, unfortunately, that you basically cannot build a golf course that is long enough to be considered a challenge. Your local muni gets more endangered by housing and retail development every time this dialog gets traction.
The average player is not hitting it long enough to invalidate courses.

My only desire is for people to revere their local courses, and not let this narrative take off. It's bunk.

Deschambeau is hitting bombs, but look at his score to par and where he finished in the field the last four weeks
That part's irrelevant.

That stat would point to one logical conclusion: bomb and gouge. I thought we went through this years ago already.
Developers are getting antsy for golf course land. ;)

Back