Downloaded it a few days back. I love being able to keep watching something without closing it down to use another app. Other than that, I can’t see much difference. I remember the good ol days when I used to get super excited when a new iOS came out. Now, not so much.

I have it installed already, I like the PIP feature. I haven't figured all of it out yet, but seems good so far.

Anyone else noticing the red dot in the top right? They are listening!

Please explain. I have not seen this but am very curious.

Anytime your mic is in use you’ll see a red dot up above where it shows you’re connected to WiFi.

Anytime your mic is in use you’ll see a red dot up above where it shows you’re connected to WiFi.

You can test it by using the “Hey, Siri” command. You will see the dot above the Wi-Fi symbol. It also shows if ANY app is accessing the mic or camera for any reason.

Wireless CarPlay didn’t work.

Had the beta for it, but admittedly did not check out all functionality. One thing I do like is the connectivity with my Airpod Pro's. I switch between phone and iPad a lot for work and airpods follow me between each device pretty flawlessly.

My daughter has been tweaking her phone pretty much non stop with widgets :ROFLMAO:

Orange dot means microphone is in use, green dot means camera is in use. They're in the upper right corner of your screen, above the cell signal and wi-fi icons. If you pull down the Control Center within a couple minutes of the use, it will show "x, recently", with x being what app accessed the microphone or camera (i.e., "Messages, recently").

The widgets will be cooler once other apps take advantage. It was dumb to surprise release this with no developer warning.
Fwiw developers have had access to preview builds for months. The release timing is only a surprise in that we knew iPhones weren’t coming at this event. But we’re never given advance warning, we just know it’s usually a day or two after the September event

This is the update I’ve been waiting my entire post Android life for. Happy!

Fwiw developers have had access to preview builds for months. The release timing is only a surprise in that we knew iPhones weren’t coming at this event. But we’re never given advance warning, we just know it’s usually a day or two after the September event
If I understand correctly they just skipped doing the "Golden Master" release as the final version so people can finalize their drafts and testing. Is that correct?

I know I think the concept of putting widgets on the home screen is cool and will allow more flexibility for customization of the screens. I downloaded it to discover that no apps have it ready outside of the core apple apps. I also saw some flaws with those that will prevent me from utilizing those until they are corrected or there are other options.

I tried the clock widget and it won't display anything other than Cupertino, NY, London and another city instead of the ones I actually have set up in my clock settings. I'm also waiting for more flexibility on weather apps for the widgets. I primarily use Dark Sky which Apple now owns and it isn't even supported yet.

If I understand correctly they just skipped doing the "Golden Master" release as the final version so people can finalize their drafts and testing. Is that correct?

I know I think the concept of putting widgets on the home screen is cool and will allow more flexibility for customization of the screens. I downloaded it to discover that no apps have it ready outside of the core apple apps. I also saw some flaws with those that will prevent me from utilizing those until they are corrected or there are other options.

I tried the clock widget and it won't display anything other than Cupertino, NY, London and another city instead of the ones I actually have set up in my clock settings. I'm also waiting for more flexibility on weather apps for the widgets. I primarily use Dark Sky which Apple now owns and it isn't even supported yet.
Even the "gold master" release is really only because it leaks internally that "beta #7 is GM" (for example). There's never an official announcement and it's only just normally predictable cause Apple has the same timing every year until this year.

Honestly, most apps are just very much behind updating for 14, for a couple reasons. 1. Covid, everyone is behind, on everything. 2. iOS 14 has been far more stable and compatible (app wise) than 13, that apps have hardly needed any work done. So that work will get ignored in most companies because it's not as much a priority. Previous iOS versions have seen almost universal app updates with "iOS XX compatibility" notes, while that's been rare for 14.

Downloading it now....stay tuned....

Widgets are so important. I seriously can't believe it has taken Apple until 2020 to introduce them. :rolleyes: But when your company is worth 3 trillion, maybe you don't need to?

I think it's an alright first effort, but I'd like to see some more flexibility in the new functionality. I want Waze to be my default GPS app when I'm running CarPlay. I do like that I can choose my own browser and email. I was on Android long ago when widgets were basically just a good way to drain your battery so will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not a fan of all the pre-installed Apple apps, so my final opinion of them will be fully dependent on developer adoption.

Back