Bryson Leads in Distance with Record Setting Number

it's all about the rec golfer - they pay the bills. make course designs fun and interesting and you'll grow the game - even Nicklaus admitted the designers worried too much about the wrong customers (pros) and courses got too long and difficult.

it's all about the rec golfer - they pay the bills. make course designs fun and interesting and you'll grow the game - even Nicklaus admitted the designers worried too much about the wrong customers (pros) and courses got too long and difficult.

Excellent point! I remember reading an article about the opening of Greg Norman's new course in Hobe Sound, Florida. This was years ago, and it was an interview with Jack Nicklaus. Norman invited a bunch of Tour guys down to play the thing prior to opening. After the round he asked for their opinion. Nicklaus said that he told him that the forced carries over water and swamp were too far for the average recreational golfer. The fairways too narrow, the bunkering too penal, and, as good as Nicklaus was, he had a hard time holding a long iron on the hood of a car!

This was supposed to be a resort course, but Norman was full of himself and wanted to punish people less skilled than he was! This was supposed to be a resort course, and Nicklaus told him that it would go broke if he didn't fix it!

Winning in his 2nd major since his distance gain seems pretty good.
Hey, kudos to Bryson. He got it done. I still can't stand him and think that he's a goofball but he is a major champion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When people talk about distance, many want to say that you should just narrow the fairways and let the rough grow.
I'd say that Bryson and Wolff proved that narrative to be false. There isn't much of a penalty from the rough when you can just hit 8-iron or PW out of it and still make it to the green.
I'll be interested to see what happens when Bryson puts the 48" driver into play. A 48" driver with 5 degrees of loft could be interesting to watch.
Everyone wants to make this all about how he transformed his body but you need to look at the specs of his clubs too. The clubs are playing just as much of a role as his body is, especially when you consider Wolff, who isn't anywhere near as beefy as Bryson is but hung with him until his game fell apart.

When people talk about distance, many want to say that you should just narrow the fairways and let the rough grow.
I'd say that Bryson and Wolff proved that narrative to be false. There isn't much of a penalty from the rough when you can just hit 8-iron or PW out of it and still make it to the green.
I'll be interested to see what happens when Bryson puts the 48" driver into play. A 48" driver with 5 degrees of loft could be interesting to watch.
Everyone wants to make this all about how he transformed his body but you need to look at the specs of his clubs too. The clubs are playing just as much of a role as his body is, especially when you consider Wolff, who isn't anywhere near as beefy as Bryson is but hung with him until his game fell apart.

I respectfully disagree... they were part of a tight leaderboard. It wasn’t like they were 10 strokes ahead of the field sitting -15. The course lay out definitely made play more challenging. To his credit, Bryson was above average off the tee versus the field. He was the only player to finish under par and it was only by six strokes. Wolff struggled with accuracy down the stretch and he suffered. There were quite a few strong and long hitters in the field whose scores deteriorated because they couldn’t find the fairway. If anything, it proved course conditions can dictate how low these guys can go... and it wasn’t like Bryson was tearing it up in the FEDEX playoffs where his length should’ve given him an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back