Honma Introduces TR21 Irons, Hybrids and Fairway Woods

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Honma’s TR20 series of clubs has been out and getting attention since 2020 and soon Honma will be adding to its “TR” or “Tour Release” series with the addition of the newest TR21 clubs. According to Honma, the new TR21 offerings complement the TR20 clubs and help to complete the line. Most avid internet golfers are familiar with Honma’s offerings and the company’s ongoing attempt to capture US market share, but the Honma name may be new to some. If the name is new to you, it is certainly worth investigation.

Continue reading...

I enjoyed reading that article @Molten and it had some great info. They make a good looking club that is for sure.

That titanium fairway sounds like a rocket launcher.

That titanium fairway sounds like a rocket launcher.
They BIG-LB? Yeah, it really does sound that way. Apparently rocket launchers are the way to go these days

They look good. A buddy at the club has one of their last release drivers and bombs it. They have to be good, just not much traction from what I have seen.

Definitely interested in following along on this one.

Good article @Molten ! I find it’s hard to identify with Honma. I’m not likely to seek them out and try them. It’s a shame, they make great looking equipment.

Good article @Molten ! I find it’s hard to identify with Honma. I’m not likely to seek them out and try them. It’s a shame, they make great looking equipment.
I think the brand is finding their identity from Rose back to premium equipment through messaging which is never easy.

I was fitted for Honma wedges at Club Champion. My fitter had me try 6-8 different brands and the Honma’s were remarkably more accurate and buttery thru the strike. Love ‘em. Thx for the review!

With the look these offer and the tech story that @Molten explained in the article, I am a bit surprised to see the lack of buzz.

Do you think that relates a bit to the branding that Honma needs to tell better?

@Molten I really enjoyed this write up. I dig what I am reading and seeing from the irons.

great write up and those TR21X look awesome!

With the look these offer and the tech story that @Molten explained in the article, I am a bit surprised to see the lack of buzz.

Do you think that relates a bit to the branding that Honma needs to tell better?
I think it is an issue of timing (US Open just ended, which means people may be a bit golfed-out for media). It could also be a bit of a shaft issue with many people unfamiliar with the VIZARD shaft offerings. The clubs are really, really good looking

I think it is an issue of timing (US Open just ended, which means people may be a bit golfed-out for media). It could also be a bit of a shaft issue with many people unfamiliar with the VIZARD shaft offerings. The clubs are really, really good looking

which is too bad because in my experience, the VIZARD options are really quite good.

Yes, branding is certainly part of it, as is the premium price. They also throw the word "tour" around a lot, maybe giving the impression they're not for us weekend hackers. Then there's the limited shaft options, and for me a problem even seeing them. The only distributor within 100 miles of me is Club Champion, which is 60 miles away. I have never even seen Honma irons in a local golfer's bag, so there's zero word-of-mouth other than what I pick up here. In short, I don't dislike what I'm seeing with the TR21X line, but there are a lot of other more familiar options at that price point and below. Well below.

I want to hit them all. :cool:

Any in-hand photos of the FTi Fairway?

I have been waiting for the FW release, might have to try and find them to demo. The TR20 440 is still in the bag for a while.

So I was hitting the few trial clubs that Honma sent and the clear winner from this release in my book are these irons. They looks good, sound way better than I expected, and are long as heck (kinda expected from hollow body irons but still, longer than the KFT I was hitting also). I was hitting the 6 iron 190 and I don't hit 6 irons 190... The caveot there is that I was using an AVX and these are a low spin club so it was just firing the ball out there.

The hybrid and fairway were solid performance wise and look really good. A bit loud indoors (steel and Ti will do that) but the numbers looked right for the loft and set up. I certainly wouldn't caution anyone away from them based on what I was seeing.

I’m not sure I can remember a new release being so DOA on engagement as these.

Underwhelmed on the tech or brand?

I really think it’s partly bad timing because the irons check a ton of boxes.

I’m thinking brand. If you take the JDM market brands and rank them, Honma is low on my list. Also, with releases by Callaway, TM, Mizuno, Srixon, Ping...they were lost in the shuffle.
  1. Mizuno
  2. Miura
  3. XXIO
  4. Honma
  5. Epon

I’m thinking brand. If you take the JDM market brands and rank them, Honma is low on my list. Also, with releases by Callaway, TM, Mizuno, Srixon, Ping...they were lost in the shuffle.
  1. Mizuno
  2. Miura
  3. XXIO
  4. Honma
  5. Epon

But PING and Srixon havent been released.

But PING and Srixon havent been released.
True, but there’s information out there already about Ping/Srixon. Stock photos, reviews from people on other continents, etc. Does that make a statement about Honma sales/brand share in the U.S.? That golfers know two major OEMs have new releases out there, one which is still a considerable time away domestically, and I’ve seen more buzz about them then this release?

Back