Just picked up a set of 921 forged 4-pw this afternoon with modus 120’s. I’m glad mizuno stock specs r what I get all my irons built too

Just went to Club Champion this afternoon to try out the PTX pros and the JPX 921 Forged. Compared them directly to my cobra king Forged Tec. All clubs with the Aerotech steelfiber i95s. PTX pros and Cobra King FTs both felt great, but compared to the JPX 921 Forged the hollow bodies definitely are not on the same level.

Peformance wise, unsurprisingly, the PTX pros were a little shorter, but had good spin. What I was surprised by was the fact that the JPX 921s hit the same distance as the Forged TECs. Not sure if it was just a good shaft/head combo for me, but I was routinely getting smash factors of 1.40 with the 6 iron, and was very consistent with distances on well struck hits.

I also hit the HMPros a little, but I didn't like the lack of feedback on slightly off center hits, and I did get some flush shots that were very long (I and I didn't like the view at address, something a little too curvy behind the blade.

Just went to Club Champion this afternoon to try out the PTX pros and the JPX 921 Forged. Compared them directly to my cobra king Forged Tec. All clubs with the Aerotech steelfiber i95s. PTX pros and Cobra King FTs both felt great, but compared to the JPX 921 Forged the hollow bodies definitely are not on the same level.

Peformance wise, unsurprisingly, the PTX pros were a little shorter, but had good spin. What I was surprised by was the fact that the JPX 921s hit the same distance as the Forged TECs. Not sure if it was just a good shaft/head combo for me, but I was routinely getting smash factors of 1.40 with the 6 iron, and was very consistent with distances on well struck hits.

I also hit the HMPros a little, but I didn't like the lack of feedback on slightly off center hits, and I did get some flush shots that were very long (I and I didn't like the view at address, something a little too curvy behind the blade.

Can you comment about the forgiveness on the PtX Pro vs the 921F? I have the Ptx Pro's, and want something a little more forgiving- wondering if the 921F are about the same forgiveness or not?

The same distance in the Forged Tec and the 921F? That's fantastic. Was the spin higher with the 921F?

Can you comment about the forgiveness on the PtX Pro vs the 921F? I have the Ptx Pro's, and want something a little more forgiving- wondering if the 921F are about the same forgiveness or not?
I would only be able to comment completely unscientifically since I don't have the data on me, but here goes. It seemed that thin shots and toed shots lost about the same amount of carry distance, for both clubs about 5 to 10 yards. But it's difficult to compare because the PTX at baseline was about a club or maybe not quite a club shorter.

I felt like the off center strikes stung a little more on both the hollow body irons, which I wasn't expecting.

I guess I would say you're right, the forgiveness was similar. For some reason I just struck the ball much better with the 921s.

And while a pured shot on both the PTX pro and FTs felt great, flushing a shot with the 921s were definitely more buttery.

I had also hit PXG gen3 in the past and I thought those were better feeling than the cobra FTs. I think the 921 forged are similar in feel, which says a lot about the hollow body in the PXGs.

But I couldn't justify the price tags of the PXGs, and now I have a hard time deciding whether the better feel of the JPX at a more competitive price point is worth the switch from the FTs.

The same distance in the Forged Tec and the 921F? That's fantastic. Was the spin higher with the 921F?
Average carry distance (6i) for my FTs was 170.7 For the 921 it was 170.7 Thats the only data point I remember because it was exactly the same.

Spin was close but actually a little higher with FTs, which was weird. Both around 5400-5600. PTX pro was more like 5800.

Super like these great irons. I'm going to buy a set and game them against my Srixons. Not sure which ones will win then I'll match the winner against the new TM irons. Looks like I'll have a great review for you guys.

Super like these great irons. I'm going to buy a set and game them against my Srixons. Not sure which ones will win then I'll match the winner against the new TM irons. Looks like I'll have a great review for you guys.

I also did something stupid and ordered these tonight.

I spent some more time hitting the Forged and Tours today. Really like the look of the Tours from over the the ball, and the forged just feel so good. I like how easy the forged are to flight compared to the 770's, I just don't love the look. I never realized how much blade length bugs me. The forged feel better, don't fly as stupid high, and look like they have less offset, and I still don't think I like them better. Someone please kick me in the head.

I’m sure it has been mentioned in this thread somewhere but does anyone know if Mizuno is measuring their clubs differently than say TM. The 921 forged are roughly a 1/4” longer which isn’t a big deal but kinda surprised me because my last set of standard spec’d mizuno irons were definitely shorter

You did? Why would you say it's stupid?
Well, I already have a pretty good set of clubs. I guess more accurately my wife would say it's stupid.

I spent some more time hitting the Forged and Tours today. Really like the look of the Tours from over the the ball, and the forged just feel so good. I like how easy the forged are to flight compared to the 770's, I just don't love the look. I never realized how much blade length bugs me. The forged feel better, don't fly as stupid high, and look like they have less offset, and I still don't think I like them better. Someone please kick me in the head.

the mind and its preferences are not something to be trifled with. based on what you’re saying the 921f sounds like something that would be really good for me to try.

I like some blade length - the 919F are long but were meant for low to mid cappers, and the 921F are just slightly more compact, which will probably look better to my eye ... my confidence eye.

Last edited:
I am gaming some great irons right now and am looking forward to gaming the 921's. Flighting is awesome on both. Going to be a good test. Hoping to see 10,000+ rpms as I attack the flag.

I am gaming some great irons right now and am looking forward to gaming the 921's. Flighting is awesome on both. Going to be a good test. Hoping to see 10,000+ rpms as I attack the flag.
What club are you hoping to see 10,000+ rpm from in the 921 lineup?! That’s some really high spin

Kick. 😇 These new clubs are a lot of fun to explore and nitpick.

I preferred the Tour to the Forged the first time I hit them. Forged was long (190+ carry) and left, left, left. That could have been shaft, but I also have a left tendency with larger heads, although it is a stretch to call the Forged a large head. It's like a blade that did a DeChambeau. Tour has the look I like and gave me a flight and precision I crave with similar forgiveness to my current set and, for reference, the T100 I recently tested. Tour and Forged are both still on my ponder list. I have found that I need to hit clubs multiple times to get a sense. Am I adapting to the club or is it really a fit for me? I also liked the p770. It surprised me, although I didn't come away thinking I would want a full set. IDK. p770 and Forged are clubs that balance enough forgiveness with enough "players" look and feel. I will start a more formal testing of these in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to p7mc, zx7, and rumored Apex update. I also don't want to get stuck on chasing unobtainable perfect in the shiny new. Actually, that's probably exactly what I want to do. :p

What club are you hoping to see 10,000+ rpm from in the 921 lineup?! That’s some really high spin
Wedges. Might be able to dial the 9 iron up there too.

Wedges. Might be able to dial the 9 iron up there too.
You must have some impressive swing speed and I’m wildly jealous! You will have to let me know if they work for you

Kick. 😇 These new clubs are a lot of fun to explore and nitpick.

I preferred the Tour to the Forged the first time I hit them. Forged was long (190+ carry) and left, left, left. That could have been shaft, but I also have a left tendency with larger heads, although it is a stretch to call the Forged a large head. It's like a blade that did a DeChambeau. Tour has the look I like and gave me a flight and precision I crave with similar forgiveness to my current set and, for reference, the T100 I recently tested. Tour and Forged are both still on my ponder list. I have found that I need to hit clubs multiple times to get a sense. Am I adapting to the club or is it really a fit for me? I also liked the p770. It surprised me, although I didn't come away thinking I would want a full set. IDK. p770 and Forged are clubs that balance enough forgiveness with enough "players" look and feel. I will start a more formal testing of these in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to p7mc, zx7, and rumored Apex update. I also don't want to get stuck on chasing unobtainable perfect in the shiny new. Actually, that's probably exactly what I want to do. :p
I was pretty gassed yesterday when I hit them, but everything stayed pretty much the same as the first time, just slower. I hit the tours better. I hit the P770's better, too. There's definitely a mental aspect. My path is consistently different with the forged compared to them. It's so annoying. On similar swings though, I'm not sure the forged would work for me anyway. Kind of dangerously low spin for me at that distance, and less consistent about it. Launches about 2 degrees lower than the 770s, but with slightly less ball speed, a little more carry, and a lot less spin. The spin and launch feel like nearly a club stronger, but the distance isn't, so that's probably not great for what I'm trying to do. Like I said, I just don't like and hit them as well. I'm leaning towards a 770 combo to play around with this winter in the cooler weather.

The Apex update needs to happen, like, yesterday.

Last edited:
You must have some impressive swing speed and I’m wildly jealous! You will have to let me know if they work for you
Oh yeah, I'll let you know. It's going to be a great test!

I was pretty gassed yesterday when I hit them, but everything stayed pretty much the same as the first time, just slower. I hit the tours better. I hit the P770's better, too. There's definitely a mental aspect. My path is consistently different with the forged compared to them. It's so annoying. On similar swings though, I'm not sure the forged would work for me anyway. Kind of dangerously low spin for me at that distance, and less consistent about it. Launches about 2 degrees lower than the 770s, but with slightly less ball speed, a little more carry, and a lot less spin. The spin and launch feel like nearly a club stronger, but the distance isn't, so that's probably not great for what I'm trying to do. Like I said, I just don't like and hit them as well. I'm leaning towards a 770 combo to play around with this winter in the cooler weather.

The Apex update needs to happen, like, yesterday.

I am trying to book a fitting for the 3rd week of October. Is there going to be a refresh of the Apex line for sure? I really liked the Apex 19s but the Hot Metals were a little more easier to hit, but since then I have reworked my swing and am a much better iron player. I really would hate to miss out on them, but I am also itching to spend some money:LOL:

I am trying to book a fitting for the 3rd week of October. Is there going to be a refresh of the Apex line for sure? I really liked the Apex 19s but the Hot Metals were a little more easier to hit, but since then I have reworked my swing and am a much better iron player. I really would hate to miss out on them, but I am also itching to spend some money:LOL:
I'm assuming we'll learn how excited to be about the new Apex during/because of the Grandmama. I also assume they won't be about to tell us anything other than that about them. It's going to be brutal.

I'm assuming we'll learn how excited to be about the new Apex during/because of the Grandmama. I also assume they won't be about to tell us anything other than that about them. It's going to be brutal.
There may well be an embargo in place until January. Is all we will hear is “This is the greatest iron in the history of mankind, but we can’t tell you anything about it or we will have to kill you.” Just kidding... I understand the whole embargo thing and respect it.

Rumor mill is already up and running. Rumors are kind of like snacking on junk food before a great meal. Cheap fix but can be momentarily satisfying. :cool:

Back