Callaway Releases B21 Irons, Hybrid and Fairway Woods

The photo of the 3 hybrid plainly indicates 19 degrees, you referred the 4 hybrid was 19! Just saying

Just wanted to quickly add some additional thoughts after using this club a ton during yesterday's round:

- I can definitely say that the distance this club (3H at 19 degrees) provides is the absolute real deal. The extra SGI technology Calloway has added really helps in this regard - there is a very noticeable difference between good shots with my Big Bertha 3H vs. my Cobra F9 One Length 3H. Although you might expect that to be the case due to the Cobra hybrid being the same shaft length as a 7i, I tend to choke up on my BB 3H because I tend to get better contact (I'm a high handicapper and still very much a beginner in hitting my longer irons), so the shaft length at time of swing is pretty equal. When I can use this club for punch shots (near/under tress/bushes, to get back onto my original fairway, etc.) and still have the ball go really far, that's a huge plus in my book.

- On the flip side, however, I think the F9 performs somewhat better when trying to hit out of the rough. I suspect the baffler rail technology in the F9 is responsible for that, but even when I hit "bad" shots with the BB, it still went a good distance. I don't think the BB is intended to be used in deeper rough, of course, but still an interesting comparison.

- After further hitting, I haven't seen very much, if any, draw bias on this club. I think, for me anyway, any shots that go left or right are due to my own errors and not due to the club. I will say I have to try really, really hard to hit a slice.

- I love the sound/feel when using this club - I have all the confidence in the world that if I make even decent contact, the ball is going to go pretty far.

Absolutely zero regrets on snagging this - my results will only get better as I get better overall.

Last edited:
Just wanted to quickly add some additional thoughts after using this club a ton during yesterday's round:

- I can definitely say that the distance this club (3H at 19 degrees) provides is the absolute real deal. The extra SGI technology Calloway has added really helps in this regard - there is a very noticeable difference between good shots with my Big Bertha 3H vs. my Cobra F9 One Length 3H. Although you might expect that to be the case due to the Cobra hybrid being the same shaft length as a 7i, I tend to choke up on my BB 3H because I tend to get better contact (I'm a high handicapper and still very much a beginner in hitting my longer irons), so the shaft length at time of swing is pretty equal. When I can use this club for punch shots (near/under tress/bushes, to get back onto my original fairway, etc.) and still have the ball go really far, that's a huge plus in my book.

- On the flip side, however, I think the F9 performs somewhat better when trying to hit out of the rough. I suspect the baffler rail technology in the F9 is responsible for that, but even when I hit "bad" shots with the BB, it still went a good distance. I don't think the BB is intended to be used in deeper rough, of course, but still an interesting comparison.

- After further hitting, I haven't seen very much, if any, draw bias on this club. I think, for me anyway, any shots that go left or right are due to my own errors and not due to the club. I will say I have to try really, really hard to hit a slice.

- I love the sound/feel when using this club - I have all the confidence in the world that if I make even decent contact, the ball is going to go pretty far.

Absolutely zero regrets on snagging this - my results will only get better as I get better overall.
Interesting observation on the performance out of the rough. I haven't tried mine out of the rough yet but am anxious to see how it does now.

Looked at the fairway woods today, they look shocking shallow on the face height. Anyone tried them?

Well after a long anticipated wait my Callaway BB B-21 3 hybrid came in the mail to test. RCH stiff shaft, 19 degrees. I have been looking forward to this greatly as my other hybrid option has been a very outdated nickent hybrid that I have had a lot of trouble hitting and eventually removed it from my bad completely.

I am a mid handicapper sitting around 9, but I can look like a 5 some days and an 18 the next. My most costly part of my game is the slice right with Driver, woods, and hybrids. I average 3 penalty strokes an 18. For the past 4 months I’ve sprayed them all right. It’s been incredibly frustrating and as a whole I’ve been worse this year than last year in terms of consistency. Enter in this slice killer and I’m interested to see if this is what I need to get my game back on track. I took the plastic off my the club in the course parking lot and stepped onto the first tee with it. Let’s get to the meet and potatoes.

Look: The look of the club is fantastic. The offset is the first thing you notice, and coming into it i knew that the look in terms of that would be different. When your run your hands down the Callaway alignment logo the club face is slightly shut and the hozzle is forward. Flash Face Technology, Jailbreak Technology, and everything else a new Callaway club would have. Do not confuse game improvement with low quality with this club because it’s far from the truth. The club head itself is a sparkly blue gradient that I honestly get mesmerized by sometimes when the sun shines on it. It looks like you are looking into space which is perfect because that’s where this club wants to send this ball.

Feel: This club delivers again. The RCF shaft is great. I can’t put my finger on why it feels so good for me while swinging it compared to other graphite’s I’ve had in hybrids but will keep you all posted. The Golf Pride grip is the number 1 grip in golf for a reason. It’s the same as my Epic Flash and I can’t wait to have the rest of my clubs gripped with golf pride. You can slightly feel the offset while holding the club. The weight just feels like it’s in a different spot, but that’s the entire point lol. Overall, this club feels like it’s very easy to swing, and it’s easy to tell it’s going to produce a different ball flight than the normal club.

Distance: I have an extremely high club speed and can really get the ball out there. I used my hybrid every chance I could today. I used it off all 5 par 4 tee boxes today. I also used it out of the fairway and the rough. My results are as shown below:

Off the tee:
Best: 275 yards
Average: 250 yards

Out of Fairway:
Best: 260 yards
Other: Finesse 200 yards 15 yards short of the hole.

Out of Rough:
shank right 150. Lol

Overall this club has no sacrifices on distance and if anything it’s the farthest I’ve been able to hit a hybrid. My best 3 wood will sniff 300 and if this can compete with that off the tee AND goes straight then this really can be a club used all over the course. As also mentioned above if you are someone who can spin a hybrid this thing can be used in so many different ball flights and distances. I have no worries about rough lies unfortunately I didn’t get too many opportunities to use this club in the rough because I was finding so many fairways! Speaking of ball flights......transition!

Ball Flight:This is what we paid the big bucks for. Well not in my case thanks to @JB and @GolferGal :). Did I mention how grateful I am lol.

Anyway, this product is as advertised with a slight caveat. Is it impossible to slice this club? No. If anyone was going to prove that false it was absolutely going to be me. I had 3 times where I came in with my club face WIDE open and either hit my normal high/ slicey fade or I hit a screaming low stinger that actually traveled over 230+. However this feedback was telling me that I was not catching the ball on the center of the club face, and even though I was trying to shut my club face I simply wasn’t. Many times when I’m slicing the ball on every shot it’s hard to tell how much over-the-top motion I actually had. With this club it is easy to tell if your club face was square enough.

However the other 5 or 6 shots I hit with it were absolutely pure. I have never in my life hit this straight of a ball flight, especially off the tee. My first tee shot on hole one carried a tree that was 270 and settled in the first cut at about 275. This is a club that will roll out in the fairway on drives and that you can really launch in the air to stop it if you want. If you catch the ball on the center of the club face, and even slightly shut your club face on the way down, the club will do the rest and it will produce some of the straightest ball flights you will ever see.

Overall: This club has simply blown me away. This club is the definition of a utility club, and it really gives slicers the confidence to go after a ball in important situations. Knowing you won’t go out of bounds is a freedom that can help shave multiple strokes off a high handicappers score. The tech in this though is state of the art so any handicap should feel comfortable using it. I actually found myself shutting the club face more on my driver when swinging because the weight of this club helps produce draw tendency habits. I bought an epic flash subzero earlier this year and I’m already struggling with trading it in for the B-21 driver. I can’t wait to get this club on the range and really test out some different shots. 9 holes in and I’m blown away with what this club can do for me on the first couple of swings.

I went out of town. A deliver failed today I feel like I let the site down. I’m out of town for another week.

Had another round with the 3 hybrid and the feel of the club is really starting to stand out. I’m starting to like the feel of a pure shot with this more than any other in my bag, it’s just so smooth and you know you crushed it before even seeing the ball. Mishits feel pretty good with this so you can’t always tell where on the face you missed but with more swings I’m starting to really notice a difference from well struck shots to something just off center.

I had a great warm up on the range and was cranking 250-270 again with a nice straight ball flight. I got a little hooky on the course today but I had a terrible ball striking day in general and was hooking every drive as well. The nice thing was that even on some pretty poor swings I was still getting a forgiving miss with decent distance.

We played in some really thick rough today and I got a couple chances to try the hybrid out of some thick stuff. I have typically been more comfortable with a traditional iron out of the rough but wanted to give the hybrid a go. I put one really good swing on one that was in a pretty bad lie and got a great result out of it. I forgot to mark the distance but it was probably in the 210ish range which is great for how burried the lie was.

Another round in the books and still no sign of a slice.

My Callaway Big Bertha B21 4-hybrid has arrived for review (thanks again for the opportunity @JB, @GolferGal, and Callaway!).

Here is a picture outlining the specs that I received (not sure what “Limited Short Length” means when referring to the shaft model). It is a nice touch that Callaway includes this with the club.

F42038DD-7729-42AA-9132-3E6B546991DF.jpeg

Based on first looks, I really do enjoy looking down at this club in the address position, and I’m a big fan of the color scheme that they went with for the B21 lineup. I know others have mentioned the offset in this club, but, to me, the club is appeasing to the eye and the offset does not throw me off at all. I enjoy the color and design of the RCH shaft, however I’m not sure if I like the white “Callaway” shaft band that is placed below the grip (see pics below). At first glance it did distract my eyes a bit while in address position, but I’ll see if that opinion remains the same when I hit it both on the course and in the simulator.

I’m used to playing shafts on the heavier side, so I was a bit nervous about playing a hybrid with a shaft in the 60-70 gram range, however after getting the club in my hands it does appear to have a nice weight to it, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs against the 4-iron that is currently in my bag.

Over the next few days I plan to get in 1-2 simulator sessions and also hope to get it out on the course 2-3 times in the next two weeks. I look forward to providing more updates and feedback once I’m able to swing this club and gather some data!

Here are some more pictures I took of the club head/offset/address position/grip & shaft band/headcover.

135F48AC-A81B-46DA-B2D7-11A88865628B.jpeg
0D3077FB-6F89-4CB9-9B33-695735E56E11.jpeg
9E324990-452B-4F72-A140-8CB6B1B678C6.jpeg
D5ECC6FE-D6B3-49FE-B66B-DEF248BA671D.jpeg
7B48AE67-9A2F-44C3-9AD0-AC8DE5AA2602.jpeg
BA83ADE2-A34B-495C-BAD6-BFE6634A560F.jpeg

Last edited:
Taking the hybo out today and I’ll admit, this one scares me a little. The offset is REAL y’all! :ROFLMAO:

At the same time, I’ve got no doubt this is going to LAUNCH!! Hoping for some preliminary numbers today or tonight! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Taking the hybo out today and I’ll admit, this one scares me a little. The offset is REAL y’all! :ROFLMAO:

At the same time, I’ve got no doubt this is going to LAUNCH!! Hoping for some preliminary numbers today or tonight! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I guess I’m just so used to playing GI irons that the offset seems normal to me haha

I guess I’m just so used to playing GI irons that the offset seems normal to me haha
I let out an audible gasp when I unboxed, even having seen the pictures when I wrote the release article :ROFLMAO:

the offset looks so crazy but im going to give them a shot also.
watching for reviews here!

I like the offset. Gives me confidence that I CAN’T slice this club!

the offset looks so crazy but im going to give them a shot also.
watching for reviews here!

Same here. Interested in the reviews.

I'm curious about the "highest launch" description callaway has on the irons.
With the very wide sole what kind of a divot can be taken? Is this iron more for a sweeper? I realize a divot is a divot and can be taken with anything but lets say your in between a shallow and deep divot taker or closer to shallow. If I'm a shallow divot taker one might think your closer to a sweeper or picker of the ball? Then how does the "highest launch" take affect?

I'm curious about the "highest launch" description callaway has on the irons.
With the very wide sole what kind of a divot can be taken? Is this iron more for a sweeper? I realize a divot is a divot and can be taken with anything but lets say your in between a shallow and deep divot taker or closer to shallow. If I'm a shallow divot taker one might think your closer to a sweeper or picker of the ball? Then how does the "highest launch" take affect?
Divots can still definitely be taken. Zero issue with impact from my testing

these puppies have bigger noses than Karl Malden -- I took them out for the first time today and found them to be easy to play. My first few hits were more on the bottom of the face and they didn't quite get the height I was expecting and felt a touch 'dead' - but despite the lousy strikes they went arrow straight. Once I started getting the ball on the club face correctly, they were even better. These are not going to appeal to golfers who prefer a traditional look - but these will help the average folk who just want to find a club that makes the game easier.

I'm curious if any of the testers have a swing speed of less than 90.

I’ve never played a hybrid before (so I can’t personally compare it to any hybrids past or present), but I can compare the B21 4-hybrid to the equivalent iron in my bag (Cobra F9 4-iron). I played 18 holes yesterday and also put in a simulator session tonight with both clubs in the bag.

On the course, I was thoroughly impressed with the hybrid both off of the tee and the few approach shots I hit with it. Ball flight was straighter than what I typically see with my 4-iron, and peak height was also visibly higher (which can also be seen by the sim stats I have posted below). I used the hybrid for 5 shots during my round (2 off the tee, and 3 approach shots - 1 from FW, 2 from rough). The yardage consistency (190-205) was fantastic for all 5 shots, And I was surprised at how easy it was to get the hybrid through the rough as compared to my 4-iron.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was not a huge fan of the white Callaway shaft band and thought it may be a bit distracting to the eye, however on the course in the address position I hardly noticed it so it’s no longer a concern of mine.

During my sim session tonight I hit some balls with both the hybrid and my 4 iron to gather some data (see pics below), and also played a sim round to put the hybrid through the paces a bit more (albeit in a controlled setting). As you can see from the below stats, the hybrid tends to play a bit more left of center as compared to my 4-iron, and that is exactly what I’m looking for in a club (as a player who’s miss is a slice). Don’t get me wrong, if you take a s*** swing with this club it is still going to have a poor result and slice, but it just seemed that my poor strikes/swings fought to go straighter than my 4-iron. While the distance was a bit shorter than the 4-iron for the shots in the below pics, I did not see that distance gap on the course or during my sim round (Hybrid consistently in the 195-205 range in both). The thing that excites me the most though is the peak height achieved with the hybrid (35-40 yards), which will allow me to be more confident on approach shots and being able to hold the green.

I realized after I recorded my shots that I forgot to include spin rate data, however I did hit some shots with spin rate included and the 4-iron was averaging in the mid-high 4000 range, while the hybrid was in the low-mid 5000 range.

It’s still early in the process, but right now the hybrid has the lead for a permanent spot in my bag.

639792DB-296A-4BBF-9CA0-C467EC02E1C0.jpeg
8BCA6B34-22F0-4A1C-B0C2-CE042375E897.jpeg

Saw the B21 irons in PGASS yesterday and they looked really nice. Tons of offset, thick top line and sole, but I really like how they're not trying to hide their SGI character. I've been a Ping (and Mizuno) guy my whole golfing life so the offset wasn't that off-putting to me. I went to the store to see the JPX921 HM's in person but have to admit I came away thinking that the B21 irons may be an option..... Hope THP does a range days for these irons soon. Also really liked the look of the Mack Daddy CB wedges with the KBS graphite shafts...

Ball go far. Ball go left, for me, hahaha

Ive got some deep thoughts for the hybrid here this afternoon (y)

I am so impressed with the B21 driver, I bought the 3 wood. My current 3 wood is the ST190 with gd ad di, which has been good. But maybe the B21 is better.

Back