Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

Nice write up @JB. Nothing will replace the 58° PM Grind for me at the bottom of my bag, but I'd really like to try it against my 54° MD5 and see how they compare. I previously played Cleveland 588 RTX CBs, and I didn't like the feel of those anywhere near as much as I do the MD5, so it would be interesting to give these a shot. And if the 54° has the full-face grooves, even better yet.

I think it's a smart move by Callaway, it's a competitive spot in the market where they didn't previously have a presence.

Last edited:
Nice interview with Roger Cleveland regarding these on Callaway Talks.

The interview has me even more interested in trying these wedges out.

My Guy at CPO Tells me that Friday Pre-Orders can be taken.

Well that’s interesting. I’ve been eyeing a CBX, but now I’ll have to consider this one as well.

Like others have said, it is a smart move to enter this market segment. If I didn't have a set wedge at 50* I'd be looking to buy one at that spot, as I like the extra full shot forgiveness in my non-58* wedge (I prefer to use the 58* for all shots around the green). I may still look at one for the 54* spot.

Great video, always fun to hear RFC discussing wedge tech. And the 54° does have the full-face grooves! Curiosity intensifies......

I struggled early on chipping with my cavity back wedges that were part of my first set (Callaway X-14 pro series) but these may make me re-consider using a cavity backed wedge. I had an issue with them being too chunky feeling but these look as slick as a blade. Awesome to see Callaway getting into this market. I really like the idea of that new grip for chipping as well.

I struggled early on chipping with my cavity back wedges that were part of my first set (Callaway X-14 pro series) but these may make me re-consider using a cavity backed wedge. I had an issue with them being too chunky feeling but these look as slick as a blade. Awesome to see Callaway getting into this market. I really like the idea of that new grip for chipping as well.
My problem with the 588 RTX CBs was that I had no feel with them. Plenty of forgiveness, but they just felt numb when hitting the ball, especially on greenside shots. I'd love to see if Callaway has fixed that and if these have anywhere near the feel of the MD5 and/or PM Grind, which I love the feel of.

it was inevitable that someone else would compete in this space. seems like a no-brainer. they look pretty good, love the full face grooves and the longer grip is smart.

Looks wise it doesn’t move the needle for me. Glad to see more options available in this market. Just seems like Cleveland has a stronghold here.

Listened to interview, no way I'd replace my 48* CF19 AW with this but I'm definitely gonna give the 52* spot a shot.

Anyone get their hands on these yet? Intrigued that at 129.99, they are cheaper new than the older cbx2. Competitive advantage or covid pricing?

I pre-ordered a 54° & 58° on Friday.
Will be a bag battle with the CBX2’s
I plan to keep the CBX2’s to use in the dome if they open up this fall.

well priced and impressive looking so I'm buying 7 or 8 of them and bending them to make it a full set of irons

There's no way I'm not trying this in the 50* spot and maybe the 54* too.

Anyone get their hands on these MD CB's yet? Will they show up retail tomorrow as expected? I've heard Callaway has had some delays in shipping due to Covid from a local retailer.

They are on the UPS Truck delivering today:

There's no way I'm not trying this in the 50* spot and maybe the 54* too.
I’m definitely pondering one for the 54* spot. I tend to use the 58* for most everything around the greens so this type of 54* could be nice for full swings, plus be serviceable on the rarer occasions when I do use the 54* for short shots.

And they are here:
6F898C8A-1FE8-4EF6-A17E-A806F9D6DBBD.jpeg

5492542C-7012-4617-A6A2-F96FC14165AD.jpeg

MDCB vs. CBX2 FF:
CC47F635-6716-4C9E-9089-33B70DEEF92B.jpeg7AE671C5-21B8-4F13-954D-096CC3C62797.jpeg
54° CB vs CBX2 56°
08BE755D-9827-45AE-98B5-4F0708BFBE81.jpeg
D1D4BA50-8F9F-4B1F-8439-C9120390EA6C.jpeg

So went to the range to get use to these wedges. Thoughts:
1. They are light. That 10 grams shaft difference is noticeable. Have to swing a little harder. I usually use regular flex in my wedges and the 105 Stiff shaft works just fine.
2.Wow the Jaws grooves just bit hard. Got great check up with ProV1x balls. Going to enjoy working these around the green.
3. I was able to make chips and check up with the 54°. With the CBX2 I’d putting up in the air.
4.The longer grip is a great idea as it allows you really work with the wedge. It is however not really soft and it’s thin. I had 6 wraps put on under the grip and it’s still too thin. I’d like to see a thicker grip offered at the longer length.
5. I like the modified W grind. I felt like I could get under a ball on the rough without opening the blade.
6. I know I used ProV1x balls however the MDCB are loud. You won’t mistake them for forged wedges.
Playing both days this weekend with Left Dash ProV1x. So more thoughts to come.

Back