Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

I’m really surprised to see the uniform love for this line. I really thought it would get some flak but I’ve been wrong before. Great write ups so far

I’m really surprised to see the uniform love for this line. I really thought it would get some flak but I’ve been wrong before. Great write ups so far
Why’s that? The draw bias? Or is it the offset prevalent in the other clubs of the lineup?

I don’t think this can be overstated. Golf is such a mental game and having the confidence in the big dog is massive.
Having confidence is great but you still gotta put a good swing on the ball.
You can’t just sit around saying I think I can I think I can and magically hit this better than the next.
For me, I don’t know Jack about shafts so for me to pick up this club and have it paired with a stock shaft that works great for me is fantastic.

Food for thought, I’ve never played a shaft outside of a stock shaft... Pick up a club hit it like it adapt to it. If I don’t like it it would be gone. Had I not liked the b21 I would’ve sent it to another person to try but I love it and it works.

...got my Project X Evenflow white in. The blue pops so much with that white. ...

welp, this is the sign i've been waiting for...i have an EF white with a callaway tip on it in the closet. i am now required, by law and all the gods, to buy this driver.

You can’t just sit around saying I think I can I think I can and magically hit this better than the next.
For me, I don’t know Jack about shafts so for me to pick up this club and have it paired with a stock shaft that works great for me is fantastic.

Food for thought, I’ve never played a shaft outside of a stock shaft... Pick up a club hit it like it adapt to it. If I don’t like it it would be gone. Had I not liked the b21 I would’ve sent it to another person to try but I love it and it works.
If you go step up to your ball and think you are going to hit a bad shot, odds are you are going to hit a bad shot.

nowhere did I say it was magic, seeing your shot and having confidence in making said shot matters. It is real.
Id encourage reading this if you are interested in the mental side of the game:

welp, this is the sign i've been waiting for...i have an EF white with a callaway tip on it in the closet. i am now required, by law and all the gods, to buy this driver.

i will also notify my spouse of her matrimonial responsibility to fall in line with this purchase and utter no foul language in protest, or risk divine wrath....or just me pouting.

You are a man who knows how things work.

Why’s that? The draw bias? Or is it the offset prevalent in the other clubs of the lineup?
I just expected strong feelings based on something - any of your examples check the boxes. But good is good

If you go step up to your ball and think you are going to hit a bad shot, odds are you are going to hit a bad shot.

nowhere did I say it was magic, seeing your shot and having confidence in making said shot matters. It is real.
Id encourage reading this if you are interested in the mental side of the game:

Well said. It does make a difference. Your brain will help your body make appropriate moves to hit the ball where you desired and “planned” on hitting it.
Best book out there on golf and how your mind and confidence plays such a huge role.

If any of you guys are looking to grab one of these I will more than likely sell or trade mine. Its 9* with the stiff RCH55 in it.

Some great writeups in here... Hoping to get a shipping confirmation here soon.

OK so I haven't touched a club since Wednesday. So I go to the range and hit about 100 balls evenly divided between the B 21, my 54* wedge and a Callaway Super hybrid I picked up last week. It's a 20* but I've adjusted it to +2 to fill the gap between my 6i and 7 fw wood. Hit it pretty good as I did with my 54* wedge.
Today was "get more comfortable with the B 21" day, so about 50 balls got devoted to it.
So far I have had 2 range days and 2 rounds with the BB and I have been pleased with the results. Have I paid closer attention to my set up etc. Yes! Today was - see what I can do with it day. I wasn't able to consistently draw it but was able to on more occasions than ever before.
I one thing I can say is, the straight shots (baby fades) got to the point of almost being boring. I was picking spots in the field (ala Babe Ruth) and hit the target at least 75% of the time. I couldn't be more pleased.
Really looking forward to league play on Wednesday. This could be a good day since I now feel the B 21 is now a permanent part of the bag, I can concentrate on playing the game and not 100% focused on the driver.
At the risk of being redundant: Thanks THP, JB , Golfer Gal and of course Callaway.

It’s been mentioned a few times that this driver will be great for the right player or for a particular type of player. Let’s turn that on it’s ear - what of player is not a good candidate for this driver?

i’m going to disagree with this a bit. sometimes a combo works in a way that not even a fitter can explain. this was me in a fitting last year. i hit 4 or 5 different combos, all with the exact same result. wipey, push fades. but with my gamer at the time, dead straight and long. the fitter was stumped.

It’s been mentioned a few times that this driver will be great for the right player or for a particular type of player. Let’s turn that on it’s ear - what of player is not a good candidate for this driver?
This would not be a good fit for a very strong player whose miss is a snap hook and does not want to go left.

I’d like to hear more about distance with this driver. What are you guys seeing both in terms of how it performs compared to your baseline distances and/or compared to other recent driver releases?

Unexpectedly, I got in a quick 9 this evening, something that is becoming harder to do as the daylight hours diminish. Tonight, sort of on a whim, I put the head on a V.A. Composite Raijin 54 stiff flex shaft, which is a high launch, low spin shaft. Again, I had the 9 degree head set up at 8 degrees, standard lie. The difference that I noticed with this shaft as compared to my custom Project X shaft is that the driver wanted to draw a bit more. The distance was fantastic again, relative to what I normally see.

I’d like to hear more about distance with this driver. What are you guys seeing both in terms of how it performs compared to your baseline distances and/or compared to other recent driver releases?
This driver is long. I have a theory as to why, at least for me. The head is so forgiving, that I can really go after it hard and I am not worried about a big miss. In addition to being extremely forgiving, it manages spin really well. No, it is not as low spin as a SIM or a Sub Zero. However, it is as low spin as last year's Epic Flash. I have not had one high right miss with this driver since I began using it. I have missed a few to the right, but it was alignment, or just barely off the fairway and very playable. I am willing to say it. This is the best driver for my game that I have ever used. My performance average according to Shot Scope is over 290 yards. Yes, that is at elevation, but it is longer than anything I have ever hit over multiple rounds and this is with two different shafts, so it has to be mostly about the head. I am ecstatic about this driver.

161E66FC-FE9E-4A6A-8645-4F813A887DE7.png

Last edited:
Back