How Many Drivers Do You Test Before Buying?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each year THPers get excited about the latest drivers hitting the market and rightfully so. In a recent survey, golfers were asked how many drivers they test before buying and the answer was a bit of a surprise with the number being around 3.

We wanted to pose the same question to you. How many drivers do you try before buying one?

document.write("Loading Custom Ratings...");

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, in the old days i just went and bought something. In the last few years of being associated with THP and learning more and more about swing speeds and loft jacking, I have come to realize that fitting is where its at.

Last one i bought, i tried 5 or 6 and no telling how many shafts.....

I tend to try 4-5 or before buying. I tend to gravitate to Cobra, Callaway, Ping and then the final 2 or so may be one's I'm intrigued by (Titleist or Mizuno) or ones that have really solid reviews and feedback from people that have tried them before.

I have pretty much settled on the stock shaft that suits me, so it really is swapping out the heads, dialing them in and comparing numbers and intangibles (looks and feel) to finalize the decision!

The last two times I bought a driver, I tried five. If you count low-upcharge shafts and head as a unique driver, then last time I tried ten. And then I went back a second time to make sure the results were somewhat reproducible. I almost always try at least one club I don't think I'd like, because I am usually surprised, both good and bad.

I usually try 4 or 5 but I'm really pretty open when testing clubs. Sometimes it's only a few swings but trying different clubs is a big part of the fun.

If shopping for a replacement, basically all of them. I am reticent to make a change of that type unless I have provable data to show an improvement in the equipment.

I test the exact number of drivers that I want more than my current driver.

I usually only tried two, I would narrow it down thru research rather than swings which is probably doing it backwards.

to be honest, 1. i like a driver, i like the way it looks and i usually just pull the trigger. now sometimes that doesn't' work out, ie callaway epic driver....3 rounds and it was gone, but that is how i do it.

I tested about 5 different drivers across 4 brands when I was "fitted" to a Mav Max earlier this year. I was honestly pushing for the Mav Max and don't think that is what the fitter would have chosen for me. I ended up changing to the G410 LST, which was one of the 5 I tested and still maybe not the one the fitter would have picked for me. I can be stubborn.

I’m an internet golfer, aren’t I supposed to buy online before I try?

Fitter guy: Which driver did you want to try?
Me:

In all seriousness, last fitting I went for a driver, I tried out 5 different driver heads and 12 different shafts.

As many as I need to.

My 5th one was a charm. Of course I bought most of them.

The last time I tested drivers, I tested 3. One was the more recent version of the driver I was playing, the second was the driver that I was interested in, and the third was the one that the fitter who knew my swing recommended.

2 at the max. If I test more, I’m probably searching for something I’ll never find.

My number has actually went down, now that I don't get out to retail stores as much (COVID). Lately, I've just bought it, and tried a few shafts I know work for me. And, if it doesn't work, just send it along and try another one.

I usually hit 2-3 drivers and settle in on the one that maximizes carry and dispersion.

I would say none. The last 4 drivers I have purchased without hitting them. Some of it is being impatient and the rest is being LH.

I visit the shops club fitter first, to help determine my current optimal loft, flex, and club length. Then I try out 2-3 drivers based on how sleek they look ;)giphy (3).gif

Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability up here... so it’s buy and then try.

I just do my research and due diligence and buy what I decide on, kinda like what I'm doing with the B21 in the near future. 😎

I usually hit 2-3 drivers and settle in on the one that maximizes carry and dispersion.

Ohhh. I know all about maximum dispersion.

I have a photo of me in the FW yesterday. That is all.

Typically, none. No places where I live to demo them. I rely on THP reviews to narrow down the choices for me.

Back