How Many Drivers Do You Test Before Buying?

I used to extensively demo and buy two or three drivers each year but that ended in early 2007 when I bought the GBB Epic SZ. I’m of the opinion that I could optimize and get the same numbers with driver’s from a dozen different brands so I choose on looks and sound. I’ve stuck with Callaway because I have 6 driver shafts that fit me well with the Optifit adapter. I just got the Mavrik SZ(hated the sound of the Epic Flash SZ) and I’ll bet it will stay in my bag for the next few years.

2017? I think I bought a Dunlop Goliath circa 2007. If 2007 is correct I’ve lost a lot of time in there somewhere.

2017? I think I bought a Dunlop Goliath circa 2007. If 2007 is correct I’ve lost a lot of time in there somewhere.

My current driver is only a 5-6 yards longer on average than my 2003 Ping G2 and has about the same dispersion. I could have saved some $$$$ had I just stuck with that one but that wouldn't be much fun!:)

The last time I bought I driver was after a fitting a few years ago and I tried 4-5 I think. Hopefully before I buy my next one I do the same but I'm skeptical :ROFLMAO:

None. I am brand loyal and only buy the brand I like. Either Srixon, Titleist, Callaway or TaylorMade.

I like to get fitted for a driver and usually end up hitting 4-5 different brands with different shaft variations.

I like to try most options each year. It isn’t on the course but I get it on a simulator at least once.

I tried a lot of them this year but if it is close and it usually is, I will go with Callaway.

I buy to test....is that not how this is supposed to work? :ROFLMAO:;)

When I was fitted for my most recent driver, a Ping G410 LST, I tried seven other brands and multiple variations within those brands. Many of the different driver heads were eliminated after just a few hits because they were not a good match.

Then I tried multiple shaft variations in the two or three heads that were providing me the best performance and the look, feel and sound that I prefer.

Once it was narrowed down to two head and shaft combinations, I hit my gamer again to compare against the two contenders. What I was looking for was if I could gain anything in the areas of distance, accuracy, consistency, and repeatability.

My main concern is average distance and the repeatability of being able to hit the ball the same distance with the same shot shape, trajectory and spin when I make a decent swing.

It is amazing to me that many people will buy a driver without testing it at all against any other driver including their current one. It is also surprising how many people are loyal to one brand and exclude anything else. Too many golfers in my opinion buy the driver that gave them the single one longest shot when testing.

Side to side dispersion and front to back dispersion are both important in avoiding hazards and incurring penalties off of the tee.

I live in a rural area and made an appointment with a top quality fitter which required a 1 1/2 hour drive one way and $149 fee. It was worth every penny.

The opportunity to try a variety of clubs and shafts along with the ability to hit outside to see ball flight combined with the best technology available to evaluate my performance and the decades of experience of the fitter delivered with a printout with all of my results and the specs for my new driver including swing weight, loft and lie, grip and shaft selection gave me confidence that I was getting a driver tailored to me and my swing as represented that day.

Yes, I still have bad swings off of the tee, but I don’t have to wonder anymore if it was me or the club.

Best of all my handicap has continued to come down and is now at it’s lowest point ever, achieving my goal for the year of getting down to a 5 index.

Best wishes to those of you contemplating a driver change in the near future. Hopefully you will find a faithful dependable companion for many years to come.

Back