Nippon Shaft: Light Weight Done Right

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What pops into your mind when you hear the name, Nippon Shaft? Is it the way the MODUS3 lineup has seemingly taken the iron shaft industry by storm the past few years? While that would be a more than fair initial reaction, there are a great deal of you reading who might have instead said “N.S. Pro”, and that is precisely which direction we are going to take this journey.

Continue reading...

Having just purchased some Nippon shafts that’s a nice read. I know I really like the feel.

This is a fantastic write-up. I've only hit Nippon shafts during my latest fitting, and they weren't the best option for me but they did feel good throughout the swing.

I have had the Modus3 Tour 130 in my previous irons and have the Tour 105 in my current set and love how they feel throughout the swing

For some reason I just couldn't get along with the GH range, but I haven't tried the ZELOS so I can't comment on those

Good write up @Jman! I love Nippon shafts. This sounds like a shaft that could be really deadly in a hybrid or utility iron even for someone who likes a heavier shaft. I read through twice and didn't see it, but are you going to test these in anything?

Great write up @Jman! Huge Nippon fan!

Here in Thailand just about every off the shelf club comes with a NSPro 950 shaft as standard. When that doesn't suit your swing, its frustrating not having more options. There are no real fitting options within a 3 hour drive of where I am and that means heading into Bangkok.

I had a set of Rogue Irons with Zelos 6 shafts in them.
Most fun set of irons that I owned.
Send them up sky high and watch them fly.

I absolutely love Nippon shafts and their tight tolerances but I concede I don’t have nearly enough experience with their lighter shafts. Good read, thanks @Jman

I have the 950GH in my Apexs and they do what they are supposed to. They flight the ball high but without ballooning and they can be controlled. I am pretty happy with them so far.

i love ns pro and modus. ns pro for a bit more feel, modus for more stability. but both have suited me really well in the past. that will probably be the direction i go with my next set.

Nice write up. Played the 950gh and it's very stable. Never tried the Zelos shaft but looks good.

Great write up! I play the NS Pros in my irons and looking at the ei profile, Zelos seems to be similar, even perhaps more consistently stable. It’s pretty amazing what Nippon can do with the materials they’ve been using that are automobile grade and applying that engineering to golf shafts.

Great writeup James! I've still yet to find a shaft that performs better for my swing than the Modus3 105 stiff.. That thing times up perfectly for me!!

Good write up @Jman! I love Nippon shafts. This sounds like a shaft that could be really deadly in a hybrid or utility iron even for someone who likes a heavier shaft. I read through twice and didn't see it, but are you going to test these in anything?
The review I did on the Zelos is linked in the article, beyond that, if I could track down some X flex in the 950 I’d love to give them a run being totally honest.

Great article! I had no idea about the Nippon's origins. It's pretty interesting actually. I played Modus 3's for stint last year and really enjoyed them quite a bit. Graphite is touted for not only being lightweight and stable but easier on the body joints. I wonder if lightweight steel like the Zelos can say the same for the joints being steel?

Great article @jman. I am going to give these shafts a shot very soon

Would love to hear how that would go for you!

They seem to be right up my alley so I'm pretty excited to see how it goes

Great write up @Jman....honestly, I had a set of bridgestones with nippons in them about 2 decades ago. I have since swung graphite in my irons. I'd be interested in giving the lightweight Zelos a whirl. They seem uniquely light weighted for steel......

I've enjoyed the modus shafts. NS Pro has just recently hit my radar, and Zelos is honestly new to me. Overall, however, I couldn't have a more positive view of a shaft company than Nippon. Lighter shafts like these have tended to be designed for higher launch, and that's not ideal for me. But I am paying more attention.

Limited edition head covers. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Nippon.

Um, what?
I believe he is referring to the awesome Mystery Bag items that featured some limited edition Nippon covers

Back