Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach SOFT and SOFT Premier Putters

I agree with @Molten on the finish. If thats my only complaint thats a win for Cleveland.

There is noticeable difference when missing the sweet spot. When you hit it, its a softer feeling, when you miss its more firm. Putts still seem to roll on line and I don't know what it is but its been a while since I've seen the line on the ball rolling end over end more often than not. It's such a satisfying feeling.
The difference in feel makes total sense to me with the whole SOFT milling tech.

Got the 8 out for it's first round yesterday and I putted pretty darn well with it. May well be the honeymoon, but only had time for a few rolls on the practice green and I was able to transition pretty well, going 2, 1, 2, 2 to start it off. Only had one 3 putt and made a bunch of clutch putts after floundering on my way to the green. I really like the heft of the putter head through the stroke and the grip is a no brainer coming off CG's previous offerings.

I agree that you definitely know when you miss the center, but I didn't have many distance issues at all. I was really impressed coming off of playing a number of mallet putters. Moving to the blade definitely means I have to focus on direction a little more as it's not as easy to align but other than a couple of blatant mis-reads I didn't have much issue.

I do love the murdered out look, but I agree that the finish is a little weird. Mine had a little discoloration on the topline straight out of the packaging. I'll hit it with some oil later today to see if that straightens it out, but it's barely noticeable. No one who tried it yesterday said a word.

All in all at this price point, I think this line is a bargain. Great looks, feel & performance out of a milled putter for less than the cost of many insert putter offerings. I would recommend these to anyone looking for something new. With all the shape options it seems that there's something for everyone.

First look at my modified alignment line on the #10.5. This one is temporary, white vinyl sticker, to see if I like it before gong to an actual paint fill. This way if I'm not crazy about this, I can try other colors too.

Putter.jpg

First look at my modified alignment line on the #10.5. This one is temporary, white vinyl sticker, to see if I like it before gong to an actual paint fill. This way if I'm not crazy about this, I can try other colors too.

View attachment 8966094
Hrmmmmm :unsure:. I'm not sold on the white just yet. Hot about hot pink? Maybe orange? :love:

Hrmmmmm :unsure:. I'm not sold on the white just yet. Hot about hot pink? Maybe orange? :love:
Well that's the best part of doing it this way. I have loads of unused dirt bike graphics that I can easily trim a little 1/8" x 2" strip off of, and temporarily stick to the putter. Lots of Yamaha Blue, KTM Orange, and really most other colors as well.

View attachment 8966094
Good job but to me that makes it look like every other putter. That being said if you like it, that is all that matters.

I think this needs to be lime green putter line!

So how we doing testers? Has the HB Soft Premier kicked your other putter out yet?

I have one more round on Saturday but I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to bring to the Morgan Cup! I really don't know why the center shafted 10.5c just works for me but it does. The only thing I don't love is the head cover. Its not the quality or anything but I'm not a fan of velcro and the center shaft really limits me buying after market as well which is kind of a bummer.

So how we doing testers? Has the HB Soft Premier kicked your other putter out yet?

I have one more round on Saturday but I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to bring to the Morgan Cup! I really don't know why the center shafted 10.5c just works for me but it does. The only thing I don't love is the head cover. Its not the quality or anything but I'm not a fan of velcro and the center shaft really limits me buying after market as well which is kind of a bummer.
That is a rock solid question. I'm not sold that it has kicked my other putters out of the bag due to the never ending rotation I seem to have but it has kicked the Toulon Indy out of its place in that rotation. I really like the feel of a well struck putt and the way the ball is framed. I'm not a huge fan of how it feels when I miss toe side, but the heel side forgiveness is really, really good. All misses tend to start on line and make for easy two putts, so the feel might not be the biggest consideration. I'm struggling with a classic case of feel not being real (Hi, Bryson). The proper setup FEELS open (it isn't) and when I just trust my stroke its lights out. When my brain reacts to that feel, I close the face into impact and pull the ball. It might just be growing pains and my adjustment period because it is absolutely pouring in putts recently.

My biggest grievance is the finish getting spotty. A little oil rag will clean it all up but morning dew makes it a mess, so I'm cleaning it every round and I've never had to do that in the past. On the headcover - I already replaced it with an aftermarket mallet cover (even if it doesn't fit perfectly).

I still think all of my issues have nothing to do with the actual putter, which speaks volumes to the quality and make.

I have a quick 9 on Friday afternoon. it is getting pretty damn close. This thing is spot on, even my misses, they're still so close. I feel the misses aren't really that bad. My misses, with my double wide, are way off. I feel like the weight helps me stay on my line. Which I need all the help I can get. Ha! But, this thing is so much better then I had originally thought it would be. The more I type the more I am feeling better and better about benching the the double wide. I'm with you on the cover...the vlecro is not really my cup of tea. Thinking about getting a new one with magnets.

Thanks again to @JB and Cleveland golf for giving me the opportunity to be apart of this and giving my feedback!

That is a rock solid question. I'm not sold that it has kicked my other putters out of the bag due to the never ending rotation I seem to have but it has kicked the Toulon Indy out of its place in that rotation. I really like the feel of a well struck putt and the way the ball is framed. I'm not a huge fan of how it feels when I miss toe side, but the heel side forgiveness is really, really good. All misses tend to start on line and make for easy two putts, so the feel might not be the biggest consideration. I'm struggling with a classic case of feel not being real (Hi, Bryson). The proper setup FEELS open (it isn't) and when I just trust my stroke its lights out. When my brain reacts to that feel, I close the face into impact and pull the ball. It might just be growing pains and my adjustment period because it is absolutely pouring in putts recently.

My biggest grievance is the finish getting spotty. A little oil rag will clean it all up but morning dew makes it a mess, so I'm cleaning it every round and I've never had to do that in the past. On the headcover - I already replaced it with an aftermarket mallet cover (even if it doesn't fit perfectly).

I still think all of my issues have nothing to do with the actual putter, which speaks volumes to the quality and make.
I agree on the finish, not sure why that happens. Its a small grievance of course, same with the head cover

The #10.5 will be staying in the bag for a while at least. As I've said before, the #11 shape has worked really well for me in the past, and I have an HB SOFT #11, so it might make it's way back in the bag sometime. I really like the look of the Premier, and as stated numerous times already, the grip is incredible. I could actually see the possibility of trading my #11 up for a Premier #11, or at the very least regripping my #11 with the Lamkin grip.

First impressions are - yes, it will displace my Tommy Armour Impact #3. But I still want a few more rounds with it to decide. With 100° temps out here right now the only putting I am doing is in my man cave. But I’ll be rolling some this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touched base with Cleveland today and have to say I'm pretty frustrated. They are now telling me these won't be available to order until at least November (I was told 2nd Swing should be able to reach out 10/1 and I should expect a delivery from 10/20-10/31). I have requested that they do some research to see if they sent a LH 33" to any of their retailers in hopes that they can ship it to me.

I have the opportunity to get a 35" one from a rep and cut it down to my needed 33".

What are your thoughts, tHP? I don't think I'm going to be able to acquire one any other way than this. Unless, of course, I wait (which I don't really want to do with no sort of ETA in sight). The Cleveland rep informed me they use the same shaft for the 33" and 35" , it's just built to a different length. I worry about altering the swing weight that much, though.

Side note: it kind of chaps my ass to see Cleveland pushing additional Zipcore finishes when they haven't even gotten themselves caught up with backordered products. I understand that the process of making a hand milled putter and a quality wedge are probably drastically different, but it's still frustrating for me to see when every Cleveland retailer I go to has 10+ zipcores and 0-1 Premier putters. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Touched base with Cleveland today and have to say I'm pretty frustrated. They are now telling me these won't be available to order until at least November (I was told 2nd Swing should be able to reach out 10/1 and I should expect a delivery from 10/20-10/31). I have requested that they do some research to see if they sent a LH 33" to any of their retailers in hopes that they can ship it to me.

I have the opportunity to get a 35" one from a rep and cut it down to my needed 33".

What are your thoughts, tHP? I don't think I'm going to be able to acquire one any other way than this. Unless, of course, I wait (which I don't really want to do with no sort of ETA in sight). The Cleveland rep informed me they use the same shaft for the 33" and 35" , it's just built to a different length. I worry about altering the swing weight that much, though.

Side note: it kind of chaps my ass to see Cleveland pushing additional Zipcore finishes when they haven't even gotten themselves caught up with backordered products. I understand that the process of making a hand milled putter and a quality wedge are probably drastically different, but it's still frustrating for me to see when every Cleveland retailer I go to has 10+ zipcores and 0-1 Premier putters. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I know how you feel. I ordered a Soft Premier 14 through Budget only to receive an email, a few days after placing the order, stating that they didn't have any and it would need to obtained from Cleveland. I saw on the Cleveland website that the Soft Premiers are not in stock and that you should check with the retailers. I find it interesting that Cleveland says to check with retailers and retailers say that they have to obtain the putters Cleveland. I don't need the putter right now and can wait but I'm not happy with the process.

Well, I guess tagging them on Twitter and Facebook with my story had an impact. I just got a call from a Cleveland rep telling me that my putter will be overnighted to me as soon as it is finished on Monday.

I don't like having to do stuff like that...but I also think the company needs to get their **** together in regards to orders. I shouldn't have to try this hard for them to TAKE MY MONEY.

:: drops mic ::

Well, I guess tagging them on Twitter and Facebook with my story had an impact. I just got a call from a Cleveland rep telling me that my putter will be overnighted to me as soon as it is finished on Monday.

I don't like having to do stuff like that...but I also think the company needs to get their **** together in regards to orders. I shouldn't have to try this hard for them to TAKE MY MONEY.

:: drops mic ::
i really think it’s a COVID related issue with supply chains and sales exceeding expectations. Glad your putter is coming but I think all sorts of issues are still showing up and causing delays.

I moved my ball position a hair forward and found center contact more frequently, although aim suffered a hair. I’m hoping it’s all ironed out tomorrow but center contact feels so darn good with this putter.

I rolled a #11 in the store today...... my goodness it felt night and day different from the HB Soft and from the OG HB.
Like so nice that I want to grab one and practice all winter for my 4 rounds of golf I will get to play next year.

SO DARNED NICE

@Molten great write-up!

The milling/SOFT tech seems great, Cleveland makes the best “value”
Putters out there, looking forward to giving these a roll sometime

@Molten great write-up!

The milling/SOFT tech seems great, Cleveland makes the best “value”
Putters out there, looking forward to giving these a roll sometime
I’ve got to admit that they have exceeded my expectations and it doesn’t really look value at all (except maybe that headcover). And center contact is soft with plenty of feedback.

I’ve got to admit that they have exceeded my expectations and it doesn’t really look value at all (except maybe that headcover). And center contact is soft with plenty of feedback.

That’s the best part about these putters though, i could buy 2/3 for the same price as my gamer and performance looks shouldn’t be that much different

I want to give it a true run so I am using it exclusively for at least a few weeks. I played four rounds last weekend and two this weekend. I still like it a lot and can't say enough about the pistol grip. I will need to go back and try my spider again before I make a long term choice.

I think so. Played 9 Friday afternoon and 18 yesterday and I'm really liking this putter. Contact off the face is solid even when I don't hit it exactly in the center. I managed to sink a 35 - 40 foot putt for birdie yesterday with it; after that I felt the putter couldn't do no wrong (I won't talk about the hole where I had some problems with a horrible pin placement and really screwed up getting my speed right with the slopes on the green :p)

Back