The Home Renovation Thread

As much as I like that gray, I hate white subway tile in a house.

We considered an off white colored backsplash just like the gray, but our contractor and JB both agreed the gray was better and I am glad they talked me into it because I really like it now. It ads some dimension to the kitchen so it's not so much white. I never wanted a pure white subway either, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just been done so much, I really wanted something a little different.

It was a hard decision between simple countertops and crazy bold backsplash, or more bold countertops (Which is what we did) and a simple backsplash.

We lucked out. We needed to find a house as ours had just sold and we found a spec house with good layout and good colors. I couldn't stand looking around trying to weigh options of tile work if different houses until the one we ended up with popped back up on the market.

Spectacular!!!

What is that clearcoat? Urethane? Epoxy?

Our garage concrete floor is badly spalled and chalky from years of road salt. Probably a remove and replace, but I am going to check with a few people who say they can repair floors that look like ours.

From watching garage rehab on motor trend or what used to be velocity network, they have a company come in and grind the surface of the concrete down and then apply the epoxy floor coat

btw anyone got any input on countertop material? Quartz vs quartzite vs granite? Thats next if/when her lump unemployment check comes in from summer

Have you thought of concrete? It can be done on site, have different finishes or dyes, and different accents like glass tile added.
Or stone, granite, quartzite, quartz, marble, corian or other manmade materials. I can't really help. My counter tops are formica.:cautious:

From watching garage rehab on motor trend or what used to be velocity network, they have a company come in and grind the surface of the concrete down and then apply the epoxy floor coat

That’s what they did on ours

Our extension is still going along well - we will be moving out for a week soon so that the builders can take down the existing exterior walls and insert the steels that are needed to support the upstairs rooms, then the roof will be done over the new part of the extension and everything should then be water-tight

The scaffolding was put up yesterday so the last few rows of brickwork can be finished ready for the roof to be installed in just over a weeks time

Once those walls come down and the steels are installed, we are past the worst of it and the finish line begins to appear in the distance
The order was placed on Tuesday for the new kitchen and we have a planned delivery date for it, but the guy will liaise with our builder throughout the next few weeks in case that date needs to come forward

Make sure you follow up on the plans and your builder for the sizes for where the appliances go. I know of someone on another board I frequent that has a house almost done being built and his kitchen has a stub wall and a pocket where his fridge goes... the stub wall is not in spec. The sheetrock is 3/4". The pocket where his fridge is supposed to go is too small for the dimensions he was quoted from the plans... and he's fighting with his builder on getting that remedied.

Boiler is being moved today - old boiler has been removed from the wall that is coming down, then the pipework has been re-routed to the new location and the new boiler has been fitted to the wall, then tomorrow it will all be connected back up properly

Family room almost done. Popcorn removed off ceiling, carpet replaced with laminate, light fittings removed and changed, shiplap added to the rear wall and whitewashed. House is twice the size of our old one, so just need to buy some furniture and a rug or two to make it a little more homely.
152EC09A-2746-4DB6-9850-24A2BEEC79BF.jpeg
50C618D0-B5E5-4596-9D1D-A730C1E417AF.jpeg

Just came across this thread...will have to skim through for any good ideas (or bad ones to avoid :) )

I bought a house a little over a year ago and chipping away...I feel like I am just spinning my wheels...like I feel like I get things done, but I also feel like I haven't gotten anything done. I had a lot of outside work to tackle (still in progress) but have knocked out a few things indoors...currently tearing my basement apart. Need to do some work on the deck. And my little master bath. Speaking of master bath:

The coating on my shower pan is peeling off (it's white, peeling to show a tan color underneath...) and curious if any of you guys have every DIY'ed redoing a shower pan or if it's best left to a pro? I talked to one handyman guy I know and he said something about using some kind of paint that they use on airplanes??? He's like just be careful it won't come off so don't be sloppy and make sure you open windows so you don't pass out....so I'm thinking...nah....I'll pass on that one. (Yes he was dead serious).

It's a small shower. I have received a quote at one point that seemed high to me...like a few hundred bucks to redo.

Anyway...just curious if anyone has any thoughts...I'm going to dig into that bathroom this fall and would like to do that while I'm replacing vanity/faucet/mirror/painting/etc....

What are the walls in your shower? Is it a "one piece" enclosure, a floor pan with tile walls, or something else? If everything but the pan is what you want, it may make sense to have the pan professionally recoated. I'm thinkiong the pan is probably fiberglass reinforced polyester (FRP) with a gel coat - just like a boat. These can be recoated but surface prep is critical, the fumes are indeed nasty, and there is an art to getting good results. I do almost everything myself, and I am looking at seriously worn FRP in my 43-y.o. master bath. I might replace it myself, but if I decided to resurface it, I would hire somebody.

Electrical Honey Do list:
Move wire from outbuilding directly to panel
Hang spotlight 30' in the air
Hang spotlight 15' in the air
Secure wiring in laundry
Fix GFI outlet
Fix non functioning patio light
Replace old outdoor outlet
Install new outdoor outlet
Sink outlet into wall to correct depth

Estimate for me to do it:
2 days of work, lots of cursing and swearing, possibility of shocking myself 2-4 times.

Cost to have it all done?
$1300.

aaaaannnnd done. Half day, two electricians. I'm happy.

What are the walls in your shower? Is it a "one piece" enclosure, a floor pan with tile walls, or something else? If everything but the pan is what you want, it may make sense to have the pan professionally recoated. I'm thinkiong the pan is probably fiberglass reinforced polyester (FRP) with a gel coat - just like a boat. These can be recoated but surface prep is critical, the fumes are indeed nasty, and there is an art to getting good results. I do almost everything myself, and I am looking at seriously worn FRP in my 43-y.o. master bath. I might replace it myself, but if I decided to resurface it, I would hire somebody.
The walls are tiled with an old shower pan. So I'm just looking for the pan itself to get recoated. I bought this old house and the prior folks did some things (and something, about halfway - like the bathroom). So it's just a smallish standup shower with what seems to be an old pan and new walls/showerhead/shower handle combo. The rest of it I can do myself (sink, faucet, mirrors, floor) but just not sure it's worth the hassle of trying this pan myself, unfortunately. Seems like the cost will be higher than I'd like....but....that's the fun of home ownership. :)

EDIT - we are in about the same boat...my house is about 45 years old...and the pan, I would guess, is 45 as well.

Family room almost done. Popcorn removed off ceiling, carpet replaced with laminate, light fittings removed and changed, shiplap added to the rear wall and whitewashed. House is twice the size of our old one, so just need to buy some furniture and a rug or two to make it a little more homely.
View attachment 8963413
View attachment 8963414
This looks great...I love the far wall with the horizontal planking look to it

Paint is done. Outside of pot filler being installed on Thursday, the new kitchen is done.

A10A1C0C-A137-4D34-8068-58E8C41C6851.jpeg
6F902E7B-DE3A-411E-8E3D-19E253F93A76.jpeg
37001DDB-CCCB-4F27-968A-F6C5D614AE63.jpeg

The start of the next project. All wooden trim getting replaced, then the house will be repainted. Haven’t decided on the colour yet, but it definitely won’t be the current blue!!!
64FD33EA-51AE-4DA2-A06C-915063D70A1F.jpeg

We moved out for a week so that the builders could remove the old external walls and fit the steels that were needed to support the upstairs floor

Got home from work today to see the new roof and Velux window installed so it is almost watertight in that area, just need the new patio doors entrance cut out and installed and the old doorway bricking up and then all external work is done

Joists for the new floor have been put down, and also the joist for the new ceiling have been installed today in the kitchen area

Outside, the waste pipe from the new toilet has been fitted in to the existing drainage system and the first fix has been completed inside, so that is ready to be boarded, plastered and then tiled

I will try and get some pictures once the joiner has finished for the day and before it gets too dark as we have no lights in there at all other than a couple table lamps

So, we have an outbuilding on property that used to be a small woodshop of sorts that’s about 450-500 sq feet. The Doc is starting a business and needs a place, so, it’s been tapped to be renovated. I’m doing the work myself, all the way down to the studs and back up, and it’s ignited something in me. Will be doing a bit of everything so it’ll be an educational experience. Really happy I’m at home and have the ability to do this!

So, we have an outbuilding on property that used to be a small woodshop of sorts that’s about 450-500 sq feet. The Doc is starting a business and needs a place, so, it’s been tapped to be renovated. I’m doing the work myself, all the way down to the studs and back up, and it’s ignited something in me. Will be doing a bit of everything so it’ll be an educational experience. Really happy I’m at home and have the ability to do this!

We'd love pictures!

Projects like this can be fun, really satisfying, and help to build vocabulary.

We'd love pictures!

Projects like this can be fun, really satisfying, and help to build vocabulary.
For sure documenting as I go and will share when it’s time!

I was raised by my grandpa who always had me in the shop and a round while he was doing big projects, and over time I just showed away from it all. As we do, older, wiser, more time, and the desire to save a ton of money with things I know I can do myself. I’m truly excited.

Grabbed a couple pics yesterday before it got too dark seeing as we only have a couple table lamps in the kitchen area at the moment

Kitchen 1.jpg

Pipework is still to be moved under the new floor but we also need a new gas feed to the middle of the left-hand wall for the gas hob we are having installed
At the far end of this pic, the old units are coming out, then we are having 6ft wide patio doors installed leading out to the garden

Kitchen 2.jpg

Once the temporary wall at the far end comes down, we will get a better impression of the amount of space we will have
The new kitchen is going to be down the left side from where this pic was taken, and also across on the other side where the new blockwork is with a spur coming across slightly just to give a feeling of separation between the kitchen and dining areas

Kitchen 3.jpg

It is slightly surprising how much light these Velux windows provide - this one is roughly 2.5ft wide by about 3.5ft long and it pivots in the middle when opened

Was green lighted by the Doc to go buy some new toys today, Hahahaha, I’m invested now! :ROFLMAO:

The way people “build” things themselves amaze me. Taking this little outbuilding all the way to frame and as I pull back layers even I look at some things and go “what the hell were you thinking?”

All outside metal off yesterday and that exposed the original siding from 1987, yay? Have to finish pulling the insulation, wiring, and roof Sheetrock today and then I can knock the siding off pretty easily. Then it’s the roof and we be naked :ROFLMAO:

Also, how fun is it buying new tools, maybe more addicting than golf clubs! :ROFLMAO:

Also, how fun is it buying new tools, maybe more addicting than golf clubs!

"I don't understand why you need six hammers."

"I don't understand why you need six pairs of black sandals."

Back